HybridZ

Where to look for rust -buying a 240z

Guest cdmx

Well Im a brand new memeber and ive been trying to fill my head with as much information as I can before i go purchase myself a 240z.

I found a 240z that has a 350 in it with a 350 turbo tranny for 2500, i really dont want the engine id rather just have the body. So he said he'd take 800 for the body, he told me he did not belive the car was in any wrecks but it did have a few rust spots. Where do should i look for rust spots and where are the "bad" places. My g/f's dad is great with cars and is going to teach me how to weld and fix the rust spots. Anyway I just want to look at key spots on the car before I go over there. Im hoping to take a camera and take pics of everything i can find wrong with it. The only reason im doing this is because im looking at two other Z's both the other are $3500 one is a 240z with a rebuild motor and the other is a 280z. Both in probably better condition.

Any kind of pointers I can get from you guys would be great.

Thanks

-Havier

when checking the above places for rust, make sure to hit it a little bit (especially the frame rails and floor boards) sometimes rust can be covered up with undercoating and paint.

you also might want to bring a magnet to check the panels for body filler and what not.

steven m.

Take photos of everything.....a digital camera is a great way to evaluate the car. You can take the camera home, and look at the photos when you have time to really study them. It's hard to evaluate a car and negotiate with the seller all at the same time.