HybridZ

I'm not insane... to my knowledge

Gollum

Ok, since nobody replied to my post in the sticky thred yet, i'm just gonna make a new thred.

This sounds crazy, but just hear me out.

Take a 280ZX 2+2 and rebuild the whole back half of the car. Put an RB motor (25 or 26) in the back of it... People say they don't use the nissan AWD in a z becuase it puts the motor too far foward... well, build a custom adapter for the tranny to spin it 180 degrees, build a custom linkage, run the front (used to be rear on skyline) gear differential upside down and viola... Well, it would probly take well over a year of hard work and tons of money... But hey, it's would be SO awsome.

I'd imagine with the tank, radiator, spare, battery, ect, you could get close to 40/60 F/R weight distro. Now, a real challenge would be adding a 20-40 LB ballast to run foward as the gas tank lost weight to keep weight over the front wheels. Then again, that might be counter-productive.

I know, it sounds totally reduculous. Just give me opinions.

It would probly end up a bit lighter than the skyline too.

What other obsticals are there that seem impossible about this idea?

• 2 weeks later...

It's a great idea, in theory. But I don't think you could use the AWD tranny from the Skyline. Instead you would need a tranny from say a Porsche AWD, so that you would have the right power distribution. Then you would need to make a new Chassis for the car, and mount the body to that. And the amount of fabrication needed to make that work on a s30 or 31 uni-body is obscene. Then you would need to add ballast to the car for better weight distribution. And on & on & on.

Lets make this simpler get a Porsche with AWD. Cut of the body, mount an RB26DETT. And slap a Z shell on that. Viola a rear engine AWD, RB powered Z. Well sort of?

Well, I guess I AM insane as I expected.....

I see the AWD system being a major issue, and the more I thought about it the more I realised the nissan AWD system won't work at all.

Once again, I'm not seriously considering doing this ANY time soon, but I love to dream up projects and overcome (in my mind) the main hurdles involved. This kinda of project would require a totaly overhaul of the back end. Tube framing would also help in the front end to have somewhere to put the tanks & such. The more I think about it the more I think It would be a comeplete rebuild of the chassis for sure.

I wonder if it would be more effective to do a dual rotary AWD system...

Just won't give up, will you? Nah, it sounds pretty cool, but I've owned mid and rear engine cars, but I'm not sure the layout is as good as the front/rear. Fiat X1/9 was fun to drive on curves, but heavy rain at night was pretty freaky. What are you going to put into the huge trunk space you will have up front? Think about the $$ and dream about a Pantera. Fabulous car, georgeous design, big bad Ford V8 behind the seats, one of the few cars that ever flat out whooped my 1970Z when it was new, but noisy, fumes, etc,...yes, I'd still grab one if I could afford it. There is a point in a swap project that you stop and ask yourself,"Is it worth it?" I think this one sounds daunting, but then, I had also thought of a small block mid/rear Z several years ago, and I'm sure several of us have wished for an AWD Zcar, so don't ask about sanity as a reason to do it or not.

http://www.fast-autos.net/tommykaira/tkzztwo.html

i have a MR2 Spyder and its very stable in the rain... so far. the bf goodrich kdw's kick some major *** so that could be why its so good in the rain.

gravel on the other hand... (i shouldn't be driving on gravel anyways though... i live in kansas though so that's hard to avoid :lol: )

Guest mrt0mjones

ok... here goes..

Transverse transverse..

check out the EVO setup, its like super backwards too, wich is what your explaining, but only in the rear of the car.

to spin the tranny and engine would suck, so would cooling..

drivetrain loss like a beeyatch???

this sounds like that V8 ambulance on monster garage..

Ok' date=' since nobody replied to my post in the sticky thred yet, i'm just gonna make a new thred.

This sounds crazy, but just hear me out.

Take a 280ZX 2+2 and rebuild the whole back half of the car. Put an RB motor (25 or 26) in the back of it... People say they don't use the nissan AWD in a z becuase it puts the motor too far foward... well, build a custom adapter for the tranny to spin it 180 degrees, build a custom linkage, run the front (used to be rear on skyline) gear differential upside down and viola... Well, it would probly take well over a year of hard work and tons of money... But hey, it's would be SO awsome.

I'd imagine with the tank, radiator, spare, battery, ect, you could get close to 40/60 F/R weight distro. Now, a real challenge would be adding a 20-40 LB ballast to run foward as the gas tank lost weight to keep weight over the front wheels. Then again, that might be counter-productive.

I know, it sounds totally reduculous. Just give me opinions.

It would probly end up a bit lighter than the skyline too.

What other obsticals are there that seem impossible about this idea?[/quote']

HOLY CRAP!!! is that your car!?!??!? that thing looks suuhhweeet. Sorry I don't have any value to add.

Tyson

the ZZII? i could only wish to own that car... very, very awesome car.

the Tommy Kaira ZZ is a pretty cool car too. doesn't look as good but it has a SR20DE in a mid engine, rwd platform. oh yeah... its carb'd. they say the thing pulls like it has a turbo in the top end. i believe it has a redline of about 9 grand. the ZZII would be badass though. the very low weight alone would make it insanely fast even if the RB was stock.