HybridZ

R200 repair

dapiper

• 2 weeks later...

Sure it's the diff? My clunk was caused by the nut being loose on one of the companion flange. I could tell this because with the wheel locked I could move the half-shaft back and forth. Just a thought to check before you tear into the diff as I originally thought mine was the diff as well.

Cameron

Are you sure it is the lsd, that is the one thing we have not had any issues with in our car. I did weld ours up so it is full posi. I would check the back lash / play and check the half shaft flange bolts along with the rubber belt rear diff. thing I am not sure what it is called.. Have someone hold the half shat while you turn the driveshaft, rock it back and fourth to see how much play you have and do the other side also. Also check with my brother jerry@jnjdragracing.com. I think he still has a r200 for sell.

Any chance of repair clunk noise in my 3.90 clutch type LSD R200 diff? Locals all say they can't, since no one has shims.

If you already have it out it takes about 5 seconds with a dial indicator to measure backlash. I don't think it's a backlash problem which is why I wanted to know what kind of shims they were looking for in my last post. BTW, I think MikeC here once said that you could use Chevy 12 bolt shims for backlash adjustments. Still don't think that is the problem with your diff though and I wouldn't suggest that you change the backlash if it measured out OK.

I had a shop that wasn't familiar with R diffs screw mine up 3 times when I first got it. They couldn't get the pinion bearings right to save their lives. I'd check EVERY other clunk source before you pulled the diff apart: stub axle/companion flange spline wear, mustache bar bushings, front diff mount/strap, driveshaft, sounds like you've already tried the halfshaft U-joints.

Yeah, thanks to all comments and sorry, should have mentioned I've checked all those fasteners in the drive train and suspension, even the transverse link thrust bolts which can cause clunk when going up hill on rough road.

Diff barking badly tonight and stalled motor repeatedly when at near idle, attempted to pull into parking spot with wheels turned moderately. Is this a clue the clutch pack is off or something?

Is it a new lsd? If the limited slip is brand new and not broken in yet I know there can be clunking and popping noises. It comes from the clutches getting ridges in them and then moving across each other. It can also develop from hard acceleration occasionally. The way to fix that problem is to do some turning to get the clutches moving against each other. Don't turn real hard, you don't want to over work the lsd. Just some slow slaloms or figure eights for about half an hour is what is best for break in or just to smooth out the clutch faces. If that has anything to do with the problem it will help. I still don't understand exactly what type of clunking you are hearing. Constantly? Just when turning?