HybridZ

S130 Brakes

I just got my car back from being painted and it has been running great. Untill recently the talking lady in the car has been telling me that my E-brake is on all the time. So I put it on a lift and took a look, the right side was stuck to I just pried it open. It looks like I also need all new brakes. Looks like my new intercooler is going to have to wait. The problem is I haven't been able to find to many aplications for the 280ZX. I did find this though which looked pretty good-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-510-610-710-280ZX-280ZX-TURBO-BRAKES_W0QQitemZ8005921470QQcategoryZ33563QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was planning on getting that with some performance rotors, pads in the back with SS brake lines. Any comments?? I also need a E-brake hose but am not sure where to get that? ANy help would be apreciated,

Thanks

Rob

That is a small rotor setup, mostly geared at 510s. See the note where it says it will fit 13's. That means the rotors are probably 10" in diameter. Not necessarily bad, but braking torque on a 12" rotor will be substantially increased.

Here is a larger brake kit: http://www.arizonazcar.com/510brakes.html

What is an ebrake hose? Are you talking about a cable? Probably JY would be your best bet there.

Hey, thanks for getting back to me so soon. I was wondering why that kit was so much cheaper then arizona Zcar, I didn't look at it good enough. I probably don't have enough money for that right now. Would it make more sense to go with just some performance rotors and pads? Are there any brands you can recomend? And yes I meant cable not hose, I was thinking of something else at the time. And I am not sure what JY is?? Thanks for responding,

Rob

to adjust the rear parking brake, using a screwdriver, rotate the caliper piston 90 degrees clockwise. Make sure the hash marks on the piston are centered up and down, left and right, so the nipple on the pad will rest in the top one.

I already unstuck the cable but it keeps getting stuck I think, I am not sure. I am learning as I go but I am not very good at this stuff yet, I am only 16 and this is my first car. I apreciate the help, The front brakes are decent so I might leave those alone untill the snow hits and I do all my other work. The rear calipers seem to be wearing evenly so they should be fine. If I just get some hipo rotors and pads and then later get the Arizona Z car kit will the brake bias be uneven, I know the fronts do most of the work anyways?? Also has anyone seen those rotors on Ebay for cheap, They look pretty good, especially for the price.

That is a small rotor setup' date=' mostly geared at 510s. See the note where it says it will fit 13's. That means the rotors are probably 10" in diameter. Not necessarily bad, but braking torque on a 12" rotor will be substantially increased.

Here is a larger brake kit: http://www.arizonazcar.com/510brakes.html

What is an ebrake hose? Are you talking about a cable? Probably JY would be your best bet there.[/quote']

Wow, now thats what I'm talking about. Finally bigger and vented brakes for the ZX. Gosh between those brakes and RossC's coilovers, I might actually be able to get somewhere. I surprised I didn't find those.

To add to KTM-EXC's problem. Is there a way to adjust the ebrake to be able to lock up the rear wheels when in motion. (I know the caliper is what is being used as the ebrake- vs the modern "mini drum" for the ebrake) What tightening the cable only result in have the brakes engaged (sorry couldn't think of a better word) constantly? Do those bigger brakes made by arizona Z car offer a "mini drum" ebrake? Do they just retain usage of the caliper? Or do they completely eliminate the ebrake?

Another note on high performance brakes. What pads would you get for those Wilwood calipers (not asking for brand suggestion rather for part numbers or automobile application)

For example do 350z's with brembos (talking about the fronts) use the same pad application (same part number) as say Mitsubishi Lancer Evolutions do (in the front)

Just thinking ahead (if I'm not mistaken, passenger car brake pads are not universal, so what application would the pads be for)

I noticed at work that my pads compared to say a maximas are quite different. Sorry if this doesn't sound like an intelligent question, but for the greater good, and for those wondering the same questions, this seems legitimate.

The kits from Arizona Z do not offer an e-brake instead they offer a kit to lock the brakes similar to a line lock that is used for the fronts in drag racing. Other than the e-brake stuff the kits are very good. I have a similar kit on the front of mine and I love them.

To adjust the e-brake on a ZX is simple. There is one cable that comes from the handle and leads back to a bracket where another cable is attached. There is a simple adjusting nut that can be tightened. Be careful you don't want to tighten this to much as that would make the pads drag on the rotor and over heat as well as other bad things.

KTM-EXC, Sorry, I don't have any more info on the rear adapter brackets. Basically I just made and adapter that pushes them out (.75)and in towards the rotor just a touch. I don't remember exactly what the specs are. Wasn't really hard but, very time consuming.