HybridZ

road racing spring rates

:twak: Need some more info on what your plan on racing is? Is it road racing as per pro stuff (full time) or (part time). Club racing (limited passing) or Solo I/Solo II (timed events)? Are you planning on putting some money into it? You can go as far as cutting the struts (shortening the strut) and putting coil-over kits on them. To just replacing the springs with performance spring and better shocks. The area is pretty open to the wallet. You can spend as much as $2000 per corner, if you want the best. So tell us what you have in mind and we may be able to help you. We will be more then happy to give you some advice on a place to get started and where to go to get the parts. This site has a lot of great info on it for such things. Just let us know what you are planning on doing?

Too bad the search didn't come up with anything. This topic has been covered many times. Recommendations vary from higher rates in back, to higher rates instead up front, and rates from the mid 300s down to the mid 200s. I used (and still do) 265 in back and 235 in front.

going on a 240, series 1 if it makes a difference.

Yes it makes a difference and you still haven't told us a damn thing about your car except that it's a 240.

and i did search and came up empty

Wow it was a terribly complicated search but I typed in "spring rates" for a search in the suspension forum and came up with this gem six topics down. Took me at least five minutes. http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=102442&highlight=spring+rates

wow. you guys are a peach!

lemmie tell ya.

can you sense sarcasm too? or is it clicks and whistles.

going for a coil over set up with custom springs, going for a rough lb estimate for the corners. AZ z car corner set up. caged, gutted, the 10 yards of fun. a purpose built race car.

is there anything else i need to say? shoe size? the color of my eyes? the color of the car? the barometric pressure?

Silent:These guy's really want to help you. Please don't take offense. This topic has been disscussed many times here and some of the guys get a little short if it seems obvious that you didn't make at least some effort to use the search function to find an answer to your question.

Anyhow, your most recent post goes a long way toward answering some of the stuff people would need to know before making a recomendation on spring rates. Wouldn't you prefer that instead of them making a bogus suggestion based on incomplete information? You stated that the car will be for road racing. Some forms of road racing can be done using a car which could still be streetable, even gutted with 10 point cage. If the car is ever to be street driven, that would have a bearing on spring rates as most real race cars use rates that would be way to harsh for street use. Also, some classes such as GT use huge slick tires, others such as IT use DOT tires. This would have a bearing on spring choice. If you are using AZ Zcar stuff for suspension, I assume (guessing) IT is out as that would be illegal. (stock suspension parts only) You also mentioned gutted and 10 point cage. IT is only allowed 8 points, so again I'm assuming you're going for prodution or GT. Most GT cars are full tube chassis these days. So production? Maybe a track day car?

Another question that is important is the actual track you intend to race. Some are bumpier and so require softer rates. Also, as conditions change (rain?) spring rates need to change. I'm no expert, I'm just trying to point out how many differnt things could effect your choice. In the end, as one expert has stated, you will probably need a wide varity of spring rates. Here's a tip, go to improvedtouring.com and search 'Zcar suspension setup'.

There are quite a few active road racers who frequent this disscusion group. I'm sure they have read this thread. There are a few outright Z car road racing gurus who lurk about from time to time. Guy's who've tuned on championship winning teams. They want nothing more then to help a fellow Zcar racer. Good Luck!!

im not going for any legal classes with it, full blown race tires on work wheels, roughly 1900 lbs dry weight, give or take a few lbs here and there.

with the motor im building it won't be legal for any class in the technical sense, so i might as well go the whle 9 yards and then some.

sorry, im new to the road racing thing, i find it to be much more fun then auto-x where i can actually use my motor, and brakes fr more then a minute at a time.

im not going for any legal classes with it,

Your car has to be classed somewhere, even if its a mostly open classes like ITE, SPU, SPO, U1, etc. You should buy a SCCA, NASA, POC, PCA, BMWCCA, Speedventures, TCRA, etc. rule book right now before you start building your car. Every race sanctioning body has a minimum rule set you must build to or you won't be allowed on track.

full blown race tires on work wheels, roughly 1900 lbs dry weight, give or take a few lbs here and there.

If you plan on running racing slicks and are building a 240Z to the weight you mention your car will receive a lot of scrutiny during the technical inspection, especially if you show up with a car like that as a novice. I know with POC you won't be allowed on track without an instructor riding next to you for your first 4 events.

with the motor im building it won't be legal for any class in the technical sense, so i might as well go the whle 9 yards and then some.

Again, get a rule book because, even though you're not building to some restrictive class subset, you still have a lot of rules (mostly safety) that you must meet before you'll be let out on track. Road racing tech inspection is much more serious then anything you've seen at an autocross.

actually there is a deal here that allows you to run any car on the road course called road warriors. it's held once a month. thats what im aiming for. first couple laps you have an instructor with you. but after that. it's all you. this is where i plan on starting

We're "peaches" because of vague and silly posts we deal with every day... kinda like your first post.

You didn't search or you would have found many more posts than you probably care to read. I did a quick and dirty search on spring rates and came up with a ton, so that tells me you didn't get into it much. Then you get offended from the posts because we don't spoon feed here.

I'd recommend you start over, and do some more reading.

Mike