HybridZ

Tokico Illumina Struts and Springs Kit

The spacer stuck on the bottom of the 3016 Tokicos almost always has to be shortened some amount. Being the simple guy that I am, for a stock strut length installation I've started just ordering the 3015s for front and rear and make my own spacer for the rear install.

My biggest concern is that the Progressive front springs are going to compress as soon as I put some weight on them. And leave with only 2-3 inches of travel.

My rear springs are the worse, and really sagging. Th 30yrs old + fronts are not in to bad a shape, but I would like the ride height lower. But not in the weeds.

Ed260Z,

Thats exactly what the front springs do, or at least thats what mine did. I started a thread earlier this year where I reported my experiences with the springs, Tokico the company and the Ebay auctioneer I bought them through. The thread has some pictures of how far mine compressed when the car was placed on the ground. I have an SBC mounted in the JTR position in my car so yours may be slightly different. Do a search for that thread to get an idea of how far they compress. If you can't find it let me know and I'll see if I can post the pictures again.

Wheelman

J: i didnt want to go coilovers because i didnt want to lower it too low to save the hastle of sectioning. but ross (modern motorsports) told me ppl havent been happy with jdmwerks illumina/tokico setup ... but i thought he was just trying to sell me his products so it didnt worry me that much. i will put mine in and let you knw how they turn out. also keep me updated on ur progress too. thnx and good luck!

J, specifically what I said is the Illumina's are a great insert but we routinely sell coilover setups to those with Tokico springs and all the other non coilover 'lowering' springs that are displeased with the spring results. Many of these customers started with the ebay jdmwerks setups. And for their package price the springs could be considered free so they don't feel quite so bad about tossing 'em later. My discussions with you were all factual, no BS. We've thrown out at least one set of each type from just local Vancouver customers that have turned them in. Reasons have included rides too low or too high, or not firm enough for the amount it's lowered to properly control the suspension etc. MAKE sure your final install results in having safe appropriate insert/suspension travel available.

From all the standard Tokico Illumina sets into unmodified struts we've shipped we've never heard back on any fitment issues. We've done several strut installs here for locals and show purposes and to date they've all fit fine as well. Yes, it appears you've got it fitted properly now but I'd sure want to know I had the appropriate valving/insert. If you don't like how it rides once done, I'd recommend verifying PN on actual strut insert before troubleshooting elsewhere.

Good luck with your mods,

J, specifically what I said is the Illumina's are a great insert but we routinely sell coilover setups to those with Tokico springs and all the other non coilover 'lowering' springs that are displeased with the spring results. Many of these customers started with the ebay jdmwerks setups. And for their package price the springs could be considered free so they don't feel quite so bad about tossing 'em later. My discussions with you were all factual, no BS. We've thrown out at least one set of each type from just local Vancouver customers that have turned them in. Reasons have included rides too low or too high, or not firm enough for the amount it's lowered to properly control the suspension etc. MAKE sure your final install results in having safe appropriate insert/suspension travel available.

haha. i was joking ross. the happy face didnt show from the original message. you offer great service and explained very well in detail about you products, thats why im goin with ur brake setups rather than gathering my own, i got you email but got it at 1am so didnt bother calling...

edit: i'll give you a call on the weekend to pickup the brakes thnx

Ed260Z' date='

Thats exactly what the front springs do, or at least thats what mine did. I have an SBC mounted in the JTR position in my car so yours may be slightly different. Do a search for that thread to get an idea of how far they compress. If you can't find it let me know and I'll see if I can post the pictures again.

Wheelman[/quote']

I found the thread, man you where slammed with that set up. I think the SBC is heavier than the L6, which might account for that.

I ordered the springs last night, so I guess I'll see what happens in 2 weeks when they go in.:willy_nil

• 2 weeks later...

Well After 2 days of work I finally got the suspension back together. (That's ONE full day messing with the spindle pin.:banghead: ) All new Energy Suspension bushing, Compression Rod T/C, Ball joints, and tie rod ends. I was very happy to be finally finished with the frustration.

Dropped the rear first, and it wasn't to bad. (No real weight on the springs yet) Then finally dropped the front. Damn it's low. Had a hard time getting the jack out.

The 1 inch drop is B/S, mine droped about 2 in the rear and 2 1/2 in front. The car rides much better, but I'm not sure if it's the new bushing or springs & struts.

The tires are just to the top of the wheel wells, and it does look good. So I guess I won't complain much.:violin:

Any one know of a low tech wheel alignment shop in NJ? No one around here can give an allignment. I guess their machines are just to hightech for my Z LOL.

Well After 2 days of work I finally got the suspension back together. (That's ONE full day messing with the spindle pin.:banghead: )

AH ha ha ha.... that smiley is outragously funny (banging his head) I can't type I'm giggling so hard. THAT is what spindle pins are all about. That should be the answer in a suspension FAQ for how hard is it to pull out the spindle pin!

• 2 weeks later...

I put a call into Tokico and spoke with Ken Watanabe in Technical Support. He determined the spacers on the struts were incorrect and sent me new spacers.

Strut_End_Small.jpg

The top shows the strut with the shortend spacer plus the piece I cut off it. The bottom is one of the spacers I recieved from Tokico. So it appears somewhere along the line the incorrect spacers where placed on the struts.

So the preliminary result is the struts should be bolt in from the factory. If you have a problem, call Tokico, they will help.

I know there is a lot of questions about how much drop comes from the springs. When I get the car on the ground I'll follow up with another post to this thread. Expect that to be sometime late in December or early January.

Thanks to all of you for help.

Paul

I was very upset to find the fronts were progressive and the rears linear (this is not documented anywhere by Tokico) but have since decided to keep them for a while to see how they do. So far they are ok' date=' but I haven't really driven the car much. They also seemed to lower the car much more than I wanted, this still an issue but I'm learning to live with it. The car is not so low I can't drive it

Wheelman[/quote']

I think your SBC, which I am going to assume is heavier than the L6, might be to blame. Also, since it is a 260z maybe the rates are a bit low, if they were configured for the lighter 240z. I think by alleviating 150ish pounds off the front it might be possible to regane an inch of ride height... or you could just move the perch up, or put a well machined spacer of sorts.

I'll post up in a few days on this subject. I started on the a$$ end of the Scarab today. I haven't made up my mind if I want to install the Illuminas just yet, I'm seriously torn between saving them for my 240 Hybrid and installing on the Scarab.

And as usual uncle "while I'm at it" showed up and told me to go ahead and replace ALL the bushings in the rear or else!!!

Guys,

I don't think the fact I have an SBC is why my car dropped so much, it rides level not nose down. I weighed it this last summer and it came in at 2480 lbs. Thats about what a stock 240 weighs. Part of the reason my car was so low initially was the tires I was running were very worn and a low profile which put the front end right on the ground (more owrn than the back and lower profile than the back). The engine only weighs about 100 lbs more than the L6 so I don't think thats why the front springs were more compressed. They are progressive as confirmed by the tokico rep and several other members here. This means that the first few coils will be compressed at normal ride height.

Wheelman

• 4 months later...

I did alot of serching on this site before I installed the Tockico package and I never found a before and after photos of the install. So here it is but.... I don't think the photos tell the whole story.

The kit says it will lowert your car about 1 to 1-1/2 inches. It seams much lower like 2 inches maybe more. Also there is a tire change. Before the back is 225-60-14's on 14 X 6 and the front is 205-60-14's on 14 X 7. After it is 215-60-14's on 14 X 6 all around. The tire chnage hides the change in height.

Before

before_Z_machine.jpg

After

z_machine_small.jpg

Paul