HybridZ

Drag launch on Boost with stick shift?

Guest JAMIE T

Guest JAMIE T

Hey guys, just wondering what your experiances are with stick shifts and turbo cars and drag racing. I would like to be able to launch my car on boost to obviously be able to make a ton of power from the line. With an automatic, you can launch off a transbrake which helps build boost while your staged. I have heard of guys using line locks on stick shift cars to build alittle boost while staged, but I fear creeping through the beams. It's probably a hard to learn technique. The one good thing is I am running the 3.69 diff which will probably cause my engine to build boost sooner after the clutch is released.

I've thought about this myself and found that I can heel toe the brake and gas while letting out the clutch to build the boost. Then when the light goes green let off of brake and floor it. I personally haven't tried this technique but I believe this is possible. What I do is launch at 3k-5k depending on if i'm on drags and streets. I just use the engine revs to move the car before the boost builds and I can get 2.0-1.9's on street tires. Something you could do is line lock with a switch on the steering wheel. That would be easier then my way.:twisted:

Two Step . . . its the only way to go with a stick car. Im looking into the MSD DIS-4. Ignition box that works with coilpacks. You can run it to a botton on the steering wheel or whatever. As long as you're holding it down you're building boost and popping off a set rev limit. the second you release, you Launch. Still a bit harder on the drivetrain that an automatic with linelock but . . .

i have a video laying around some where of a merkur with a holset on it building 15psi with a two step. Had the lower rev limit set at around 4k just go wot and build boost. You can wire it in so when you let out the clutch the rev limit goes back to your desired redline. Pretty neat little gadget.

glad it was said... two step is the only way to go.

have it on my green Z (yeah like i can even use it, let alone drive it)..

and ill be putting it on the blue Z once money comes in.

its harsh but it works.. very well

mike

I have had a plan for some time to use my Electromotive's auxilliary rev limit engaged by a switch on the clutch pedal, like this:

Clutch pedal in = low rev limit (launch rpm)

Clutch pedal released = high rev limit

A shot of nitrous to speed spoolup for launch? Hmmm. That could be a good thing too.

Guest JAMIE T

Thanks guys, that's awesome. Come to think of it, I probably have a two step box sitting around here. I also have a NOS pro shot fogger system left over from my Mustang days. Hmmm, maybe the RB should get a 150 shot. The system is good to over 400 hehehe.

Jamie T - Since you're already familiar with nitrous have you seen the kits on the market that are used for turbo spool up at launch? I first heard about it from a 300ZXTT guy who is installing one on his std. tranny car. Evidently it gives a very short shot that spools the turbos up to about 65% of boost just before launch.

A 2 step is the way to go. Not only will you get boost while waiting on the line, but it makes it very easy to change your launch RPM and be very consistant at the same time. You launch exactly the same every time. Once you figure out a good rpm to launch at you can repaet it over and over....none of that holding it at around 5500 and launching and then trying 5600 and not really knowing for sure that you didn't launch at 55 or 5700. Without the 2 step, I dump the clutch at 6000 when on slicks and have cut lots of low 1.6's and a 1.5 on slicks. Haven't had good a good chance to try the 2-step at the track yet on this car, but on previous cars it's worked very well.

What I'm wondering about is the clutch activated button. What if you still want to slip the clutch out? Thats why I was thinking of a button on the steering wheel, That way I can start slipping it out and then release it when i get to the edge. In my experience, any pre-load on a manual setup is good.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

The benefit of hooking the two step to your clutch pedal is the ability to flat shift. Not only can you set your Low rev limit for your launch but if its wired to your clutch its active any time the clutch pedal is pressed allowing that same rev limit to be engaged mid shifts allowing for wot gear shifts.

A buddy hooked up a msd dis-2 on his eclipse gst and he shaved almost 1 second off his et's with just full boost launches. when he discovered he could flat shift he shaved 2 10ths more off.

The other benefit of the DIS system is you can set nitrous retards and aretard delay's. Pretty handy toy for $400.

Guest JAMIE T

I do WOT up-shifts anyway. I don't think having it clutch activated is the way for me to go. I would rather have the control at my finger tips. I'm still not sure how this triple disc clutch is going to act. Remember, we're talking about 600+ whp and a triple disc clutch. Alot is going to be happening... REAL FAST. I need to make another call to SDSEFI to see what sort of hook-up I need for my coil-pack set-up. Maybe a DIS4.

I do WOT up-shifts anyway. I don't think having it clutch activated is the way for me to go. I would rather have the control at my finger tips. I'm still not sure how this triple disc clutch is going to act. Remember, we're talking about 600+ whp and a triple disc clutch. Alot is going to be happening... REAL FAST. I need to make another call to SDSEFI to see what sort of hook-up I need for my coil-pack set-up. Maybe a DIS4.

I'm sure Hugh will chime in here eventually. he ran the Dis 4 on his sr motor in japan and loved it. it can be hooked up to SDS and pretty easy too.

I'm still not sure how this triple disc clutch is going to act. Remember, we're talking about 600+ whp and a triple disc clutch. Alot is going to be happening... REAL FAST

I hope you have plans for doing something with the drivetrain. that kinda launch is gonna break something.

yup, you'll need the DIS4 for the coil spacer adapters. There is a cheaper option tho. You don't get the added spark strength like the DIS4 gives you, but check out this site.

http://68.45.160.205/FMPro?-DB=cart.fp3&-Format=PLaunch.html&-Token=12729856&-RecID=12729856&CustID=PerfectLaunch&-Edit

Iwas going to go the same route you were till a local Z32 guy showed me this setup. I talked to the guys at import intellegance quite a bit and everything should work fine with an SDS. I'm still saving up a few bucks, but I'm going to buy mine through them. Luke loves the one he has on his car. It can cut both fuel and spark, but it all depends on how you wire it up if you don't want it to cut fuel (some don't like that part) you don't have to. anyways, just my .02

The two step is the way to go for consistant launches and WOT shifts. But it still won't build boost on the line. The two step is just a rev limiter like you were holding your rpms at a certain point or just bouncing off of the factory 6300 redline. You will have power because of high rpms but still no boost. In order to build boost you need load. So a 2 step plus line lock would work. Or you have to use your e-brake or some other way to load up the engine while at rpms. Please let me know if my logic is wrong.

OHHHHH i beg to differ there on that......

If you have the right kind it will sure as hell build boost. I does it buy cutting ignition but not cutting fuel and this results in unburnt fuel being burnt downstream in the turbo which spools it which inturn makes booste.

Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong ... but thats the way i understand it. even it thats wrong I still know for sure it builds boost. I have seen it on several cars working.