HybridZ

T-56 vs. 4L60E auto

Guest Gr8White

Guest Gr8White

I'm sure this has been asked, but couldn't find anything specific on a search-I was looking for some info on the pros and cons of a T-56 vs. auto 4l60E in my 280Z LS-1 conversion. I know several people say it is better to get the auto for drivability, but grief, I love to row.... Any input would be appreciated! Figured I would ask the experts here!

As always, the real question is what do you want to use it for and your personal preferences. Auto is consistent for drag racing; 6 speed, having two overdrives ratios, can give you better gas mileage..... an issue of importance when one kicks in $3.00/gallon or so. The automatic d/n have clutch fabrication questions. I think you answered your own question. You like to row... go for it.

g

I much prefer to "row" also and there was no question as to which tranny I went with. I disagree that first is useless. The gear ratios are great and having 2 overdrives can make a ride down the highway nice.

As far a clutch fabrication, there were little issues also. A Tildon MC and I had a local hydraulic line shop crimp an adaptor on the stock clutch line.

Jody

I too love to row through the gears. When I bought my LS1 motor, it came with a 4L60E and I tried to talk myself into believing that I could be happy with an auto. I even went as far as to install it in the car. Well as the car sat in limbo while I didn't have time to work on it, I finally decided that the Z is a sports car and sports cars should have manual transmissions. (No Flaming Please, this is just my opinion)

I am so happy that I went with the T56. I love it. 1st gear is usable if you are just driving around town or starting off easy. If you nail it it will just spin the tires to redline. I have a 3.54:1 LSD rear and in 6th gear at 100mph the car tachs at about 2400 rpms. at 80mph it tachs around 2000rpms and at 60mph it tachs around 1600rpms.

I think 3rd and 4th are the best. Talk about power. I can be cruising in 4th gear at 60mph (3000rpms) and nail it and in no time be bouncing off the the rev limiter (set at 6000) which is about 120mph.

Talk about exilerating!

Go for the 6 speed!

Guest Grenade300

In my personal opinion, an auto would be good for drag racing, or if you drove a caddy :) But I am with the rest of the guys on this. There is something severely wrong with a high performance sports car housing a powerful V8 capable of causing many vetts to cower in fear all backed a slushbox. Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking on any of you guys who have an auto, but that's just my 2 cents. There is nothing like stomping that clutch and slamming through every gear all the way to 120mph.

i read that first gear is pretty much useless when swapping in the ls1/t56 combo, but im with ya, shift those gears!

Not true, it has one purpose, as a place holder for the "1" on the stick shift. :-D

No seriusly, if you start out in 2nd (you are perfectly able to) but you have to hold the clutch a little longer, longer than the first shift and 1-2 shift combined. For drags, I'm sure 1 is helpful, in my case 1st hits 45 at 5500rpm, while 2nd goes to nearly 70 at 5500rpm with 3.36 rear and the ls1 ratios. I frequently shift 1st to third, and sometimes in neighborhoods I shift 1-4, it's a nice gear to run through the rpm quickly if you want to impress someone too, yet still be close enough for them to see/hear you.

1st to 40, 2nd to 65, POW you're on the freeway before you know what hit you, and free to shift to 6th. ;)

With a 3.70:1 LSD I generally start out in 2nd, go to 3rd and then to 5th - unless I'm in a really big hurry. I've logged enough runs on the track, though, to know that 1st is very useful in obtaining maximum accelleration. It also gives you an opportunity to really learn how to drive the car rather than just hammer the throttle down to the floor. Then again, if you do hammer it down you get to practice your yaw control skills - and then a few moments later your officer avoidance skills - and then a bit later your lame excuse skills. Lotsa skills development driving an LS1 Z.:twisted:

I had an Automatic in my Z but its nothing like the 6 speed . I had both 3.54 and 3.70 I prefer the 3.70 it make 6th more usable. A sports car just don't seem right with an Automatic IMHO

No trouble even at 55 and 1250rpm with the 3.36 rear. My engine does have a lot of low end torque though even though it peaks at 4000. According to the documentation, I believe it is built to have over 65% of peak at 1500, and still has very strong pull at redline, I couldn't feel any drop off which scares me considering I have no limiter yet, my previous car dropped severely near redline so you knew when to shift.

Fairly healthy difference in the LT1 & LS1 then. Mine dyno'd at 90% plus of peak torque from 1,700 to 5,500 RPM. With the 3.70 gearing I can run at 40 MPH and 1,000 rpm all day as long as I don't want to get in a hurry - it's a long way from 6th to 2nd. Generally, at speeds from 30 to 50, I run in 5th so I can have some accelleration without down shifting and keep the engine in the 1,100 to 2,000 RPM range.

I've gone through the 3.36 vs 3.54 vs 3.70 thought process more times than I want to think about it. Bottom line is that I can make up for deficiencies the 3.70 creates in first gear with driving technique but not with deficiencies the 3.36 has in 2nd and up. It's all about the torque put to the rear wheels and the 3.70 has the advantage once the car is in 2nd.

I also don't think that the lesser rotational frictional losses running a 3.36 at highway speeds versus a 3.70 will even be noticed with the amount of aerodynamic drag these cars have, so I doubt if you'd even notice a difference in highway MPG.

Fairly healthy difference in the LT1 & LS1 then. Mine dyno'd at 90% plus of peak torque from 1' date='700 to 5,500 RPM. With the 3.70 gearing I can run at 40 MPH and 1,000 rpm all day as long as I don't want to get in a hurry - it's a long way from 6th to 2nd. Generally, at speeds from 30 to 50, I run in 5th so I can have some accelleration without down shifting and keep the engine in the 1,100 to 2,000 RPM range.

I've gone through the 3.36 vs 3.54 vs 3.70 thought process more times than I want to think about it. Bottom line is that I can make up for deficiencies the 3.70 creates in first gear with driving technique but not with deficiencies the 3.36 has in 2nd and up. It's all about the torque put to the rear wheels and the 3.70 has the advantage once the car is in 2nd.

I also don't think that the lesser rotational frictional losses running a 3.36 at highway speeds versus a 3.70 will even be noticed with the amount of aerodynamic drag these cars have, so I doubt if you'd even notice a difference in highway MPG.[/quote']

I guess my 3.54:1 rear helps makes 1st gear more useable. I can easily start off in 2nd but sometimes you want that extra acceleration that 1st provides off the line. That is if i can keep my foot out of it enough to not lose traction.

I too can run at 40mph in 6th without bogging but I prefer 5th at that speed.

Mine is producing 90% of peak power from 2200 to 5000 rpms and 85% of peak from 1500 to 2200rpms.

Getting back to the topic of the thread, GO WITH THE SIX SPEED! You will be happy.

My 240z use to have a 4l60e in it and I use to like it. The 6-speed grew on me after driving my ls1/fd around. Last week Joey(LS1Z) let me make a pass in his car(thanks Joey) at the track 11.5@119mph and I like the T56 just as much in the Z-car. I have run 10's in the 1/4 in my ls1/fd on just the motor with the t56, so you can still go fast with the t56. Just my thoughts..

Fairly healthy difference in the LT1 & LS1 then. Mine dyno'd at 90% plus of peak torque from 1' date='700 to 5,500 RPM. With the 3.70 gearing I can run at 40 MPH and 1,000 rpm all day as long as I don't want to get in a hurry - it's a long way from 6th to 2nd. Generally, at speeds from 30 to 50, I run in 5th so I can have some accelleration without down shifting and keep the engine in the 1,100 to 2,000 RPM range.

I also don't think that the lesser rotational frictional losses running a 3.36 at highway speeds versus a 3.70 will even be noticed with the amount of aerodynamic drag these cars have, so I doubt if you'd even notice a difference in highway MPG.[/quote']

1000rpm in my setup is 45, it has enough torque to run this, but it sounds like a UPS truck. I stay in 5th till 50 usually. when traffic slows, I pop into 5th down to 35.

I don't think there is a bigg differece in torque between ls1 and a healthy lt1, mine a is a slight bit healthier than the corvette lt1 was.