HybridZ

Are we ricers and hypocrites too?

Its amazing to hear the diversity of opinions and contraversy contained within our group. Prior to purchasing my 240 back in the day, I had to wait for 5 months to take delivery. More than once, I was very tempted to scrap the idea and settle on purchasing a more conventional muscle type project car, i.e. SS-396, Roadrunner tri-five chevys etc. In those early days of the Z its future was unpredictable. It had no real track record to base itself on. However, the fact of overall concept, design and engineering all contributed to a sound and inexpensive investment.

The word "Ricer" wasn't a term used very much then. Currently, with the increase of import popularity, face it...Hondas and their contempories are the new wave of the future. Letting go to old ways are sometimes hard...especially for the "Old Farts" such as myself. In my opinion the term "Ricer" is an individual who, through his/her own personal preference has decided to embark into the "flash in the pan, look quick but, nothing to back up it up" syndrome. Their the ones who cruise the Blvds. with stereo's a blasting, reving or should I say wining their sideways engines, and setting a less than desireable apperance for the general public. On the other hand, there is a select few of this group who really are creative artists in what they have managed to accomplish through their talents and ingenuity. AKA the new genreation "Hot Rodders". Unlike the "Posers" these individuals have actually taken their efforts to the next level. Improving, enhancing and establishing a legitimate claim to what they believe. Are they "Ricers"? Possibly, but definately NOT "Posers". I'm a died in the wool muscle car enthusist. Love the stuff. The sound of unbriddled power, the smell of burning rubber (coming from the back tires) and the sense of uphoria that sweeps over you when your in the throngs of powershifting during a race...thats what dreams are made of. Whether someone/thing is termed "hot rodder, led sledder, low rider, 4 byer, ricer or muscle car enthusist, we're all just a group of people putting together what pleases us and hopefully others. Thumbing your nose down or making derogatory statements doesn't speak very highly of yourself...or a club they may represent. Let sleeping dogs lye, do your own thing, and let life take its course!

Comps, 2thumbs.gif Van

Ok, this is too long to read...

If ricer means slow flashy car with stickers, then NO.

If it means souped up import car, then YES.

Most of the cars I see on the street have nice body kits, nice wheels, nice paint...and a stock pea shooter sized exhaust...WTF?!?! All show no go! Unlike all of us.

Owen

Guest Anonymous

Hey I think that silicone boy just about has it right, all this ricer stuff, when you get to the point is just to find someone to hate.....its funny that these posts with references to ricers is allowed to be posted anyway...read the rules of the site no hateful remarks... I'm hispanic and I'm sure if we used words like the (N) word people would be really upset, but since it's the ® word and these guys and gals are different "right" not like "us" it's okay "right", I think it's "STUPID", like my mom used to say, "if you can't say anything nice about someone, keep your trap shut, someone may have a bigger boot size", nuff said about this nonsense.

Zeroed

Guest Anonymous

Not someone to hate -- someone to feel better than. It's like cliques in high school. People want to be part of a group where members have mutual respect, and for that to work you have to have people that don't fit in the group. Therefore we have RICE(Stickers, coffee cans, 4" lowering springs with no camber correction, monster wings on FWD) <> PERFORMANCE(Power, handling, POWER!! smile.gif ). I don't like cars that are riced out in the sense of stickers, coffee cans, big metal erector set wings, etc, etc. but sometimes I have to stop myself when I start to criticize them. Their clique is more about the stickers and the showiness (is that a word? smile.gif )of their cars. More power to them -- to each his own. I guess all in all it's done for bragging rights, regardless of the medium. I just prefer to have functional mods to get my bragging rights. I'd be lying if I said I didn't care what other people think about my V8Z, because I do... Of course I'll compete with it, in SCCA or running the 1/4mi to see how it stacks up against others' toys. But in the end, the car is for MY enjoyment, so even if there were no one else to show it off to, I would still love it just as much!

Len, no way, I'm not mad about any of this.

And Zeroed, no, I don't "Hate" ricers - I just kind of shake my head when I see their cars or hear their bumble-bee exhaust, or watch them transfer weight OFF of the drive wheels when launching (no fighting physics - unless you use the now illegal in NHRA rear tire unloading hydraulic "wheelie bars".

Sure, we should be nice and all that - heck I wrote the mission statement. But we're human and opinions happen. Let's keep it civil though. I think it has been. If people want this thread pulled, email me, Superdan, Mikelly, etc. and we'll discuss it.

Do a ricer a favor, and give them a friendly ride in something that actually PERFORMS and doesn't have stickers, 5" tip, etc. to "help" it do so. I bet you could convert a bunch of them. They have a singular perspective usually (we all did at one time), and if we show them a Japanese car that performs, even with an American V8 or Turbo V6 under the hood, they might open their minds.

I'm about to hit the local car shows this year WITH my V8Z. My mission will be to talk to everybody with the friendly attitude that I always try to broadcast. I may try parking among/near the Hondas, etc. and see if I can widen THEIR horizons about other ways to take a Japanese car and do something a bit different to it...

cool, im happy youre not upset. in the end people can do what they want, but a 70-78 z car with the hotrod influence is a truly eye opening experience and its so dang cool looking, fast and cool in general its hard to believe people wouldnt want a car like ours, but different strokes for different folks.

umm...so...should I get new plates that say "UNCLBNZ" ???

spoiler1.jpg

Seriously, alot of import guys like my Z. I'm even in the process of converting a few of them...maybe it's the overly large wing ;)

Sure, not everyone likes it, some people hate it. To each their own. But, I think it fits the overall theme well...the key for me, though, is that with the engine mods that I currently have and the new engine that I am getting ready to drop in, I have the performance to back up the look in both handling and straight line...now, if I plaster decals across the hood and the side and if my engine/suspension was completely stock, then...that'd be different...

Guest Anonymous

Hey I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes, your right Pete, we are all human, and with opinions, and I suppose that makes it kool to slam folks who don't worship at the same altar, but I have better things to do with my time, nuff said.

Zeroed

Originally posted by Zeroed:

Hey I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes, your right Pete, we are all human, and with opinions, and I suppose that makes it kool to slam folks who don't worship at the same altar, but I have better things to do with my time, nuff said.

Zeroed

No toes stepped on! I hope your's weren't either. I don't like negativity for the sake of it either, nor slamming folks that just like different things. But I can't help shake my head when I see people slam everything but a Honda, when the Honda they drive is all race show, and no race go. That's the problem I have with alot of the ricers - a cocky attitude that their cars are the only ones that are "bad" when they really aren't. To each his own, but that goes both ways...

Like I said, my purpose is to nicely show them that other cars can be "bad" as well. Like maybe a Z car on steroids, without the obligatory ricer stickers, etc.