HybridZ

Pics and info on my lightened stroker pistons.

1 fast z

Ok, so I am in the very final stages of the stroker build. Everything else is completed, ie. balencing, cleaning, boring, honing, checking clearences, fitting bearings, yada, yada, yada. Pretty much all that was left to do was lighten the pistons, and balence them when I was completed. Well, here is some of the work I did. I have went to a 3mm larger bore (89mm). The stock piston and pin has a mass of 535 grams, and this is for the early dished series. My piston with the larger bore, has a mass of 404 grams. this is including the wrist pins BTW. My piston without the wrist pin, has a mass of 320 grams. I maintained all of the critical thicknesses as well, ie. .200" dome, .185" under the ring land, .090" side skirts, etc. I am really excited to see how "rapy" this motor is going to be, with 12-1 compression, 6 ITB's, lightened flywheel, pistons, harmonic balencer, etc. Cant wait to drop her in, which should be next week. The wrist pins are H-11 Tool Steel, .090" wall. The pics dont really do the finish justice, the finish came out really smooth, but looks like scratches in the pics.

pistonlighteningpics001.jpg

pistonlighteningpics002.jpg

pistonlighteningpics004.jpg

pistonlighteningpics006.jpg

http://www.bandmzcars.com/pistonlighteningpics007.jpg

Looks nice, but I think you could go a lot further. I was friends with old guy that used to race formula V (1200cc VW motor). When he lightened his stock pistons there was like ¼ of the piston left (those square corners on the under side were rounded off), and look at the Dodge Neon OE pins they are tapered inside and they felt a lot lighter to me. The formula V’s were always built after a race though. Let us know how they work out, pretty interesting.