HybridZ

My car got beat by... my car?!?!? whaaaaaa? ;)

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Just thought I'd post this... is late and I"m bored... was out in the Z tonite... had a run in with, of all cars... an SRT-4!! For anyone who doesn't know I just bought one of those myself, and been trying to sell my turbo Z.

Ah well, long story short, the SRT didn't have a chance ;) He didn't sound stock, had a ricey BOV, and spun his tires really long after hitting second, which my mildly modded SRT (~20 hp over stock) can NOT do... so I'm expecting he had a decent amount of mods. Not enough to make up for his extra 700 lbs I guess :D But unlike what I would expect from an SRT owner, he was very cool about it, and complimented the Z pretty enthusiastically... and just about popped his eyes out of his head when he asked 'what do you got in there!' and I replied 'just a stock turbo six!'.

Was fun but sucks for me to realize... man my SRT can't touch my Z for acceleration :( I mean... I knew that already I guess... two cars with very similiar hp outputs to the wheels and 700lbs difference between them. But damn... that little run in really hit it home. IF someone ever buys my Z *snicker* I'm gonna kick myself a bunch I'm sure. At least til I get some BIG mods in my SRT ;)

Also had a runnin with a last gen (early 2000's) model M3!! This is probably the fastest car I've ever been up against in the Z (or close to it, there was that C5 Vette that tried to beat me up an onramp, non Z06 convertible)... and I fully expected to lose :D and............. I did :P But it was all in the launch. Long story short, we went three times, and two times I bogged it bad, and third time, out of frustration with bogging, I slipped the clutch too long and spun my tires so bad my car started turning sideways. Of course he just shot off... bastard with his traction control... both times he got about 1-2 cars on me until my turbo kicked in and then... whaddya know... HE COULD NOT PULL AWAY FROM ME! Up to ~100mph and neither of us pulled an inch far as I could tell, other than when we each shifted. He gave the big thumbs up and said the car sounds "frickin amazing!" which baffled me... from inside, the sound is all mufflerless exhaust, turbo whine, fuel pump noise (it's a noisey one!) and mostly valvetrain clatter... sounds like crap to me echoing around inside the car.

Good times good times.... and yeah... definately gonna be some hurt should I ever get this car sold....

Guest bastaad525
Listen to you gettin all nostalgic! This is Gods way of saying DON'T SELL HER.

=)

heh... I think the fact that nobody is buying is gods way of saying DON'T SELL HER!

HI, I enjoy reading all of your post. I just dynoed my 73 240zt for the first time and got 203hp and 262 tq. My boost level falls just like what you have experienced. What was your fix?????

I have a very similar setup like yours ie, stock engine ,14psi,supra ic, diy mbc, stock f.pump, injectors,300zxt ecu and maf. I do not have a rrfpr. Thanks for any help,Kenny(L.A)

HI' date=' I enjoy reading all of your post. I just dynoed my 73 240zt for the first time and got 203hp and 262 tq. My boost level falls just like what you have experienced. What was your fix?????

I have a very similar setup like yours ie, stock engine ,14psi,supra ic, diy mbc, stock f.pump, injectors,300zxt ecu and maf. I do not have a rrfpr. Thanks for any help,Kenny(L.A)[/quote']

If you are running the stock fuel pump and stock fuel injectors you are running waaaaaayyyyyy tooooo LEAN. At 14psi you should be near 230hp and 280lb-tq. I would recommend turning down the boost intill you get these parts. Also if you are running lean on the top-end you will lose boost because of less combustion so less energy to spin the turbo.

I drove a 1998 m3 I am not sure if this is the same one? It made 240 horse... It wasn't that fast, I was acctually unimpressed. That was the fastest car i have driven but it wasn't "fast" imho. I mean it was faster the my dads gs300 and alot faster then my 92 explorer, but it still didn't feel fast, and i launched it at 6.5k (don't worry it wasn't my car and the girl who got it from her rich dad crashed it 6 months later). The clutch slipped up a bit in 1st and the wheels didn't spin, probably because their idea of traction control is applying the brakes (i think this is how any way), but even in 2nd when traction would be sufficent for sure, i just didn't get a rush. Maybe it just didn't FEEL fast, the explorer feels fast because i can hear everything and feel everything, but i know it isn't. Hmm perplexed.

Fastest car you've raced is a non Z06 vette?! Do all your friends have slow cars? First week I had my gold ZX I race my friends 800hp (with blower disenguaged, didn't have it all working at the time and was STILL pushing 800 on the dyno) stang. Of course I lost when his right foot flinched but it was still fun watching it FLY past me.

Then I race my buddies CRX, wich beat me... That sucked. I thought I might have him on the start due to his suspension needing lots of work.

So what more important? The money from selling the car, or the space? Maybe you should try to sell some parts off it somehow and keep it 8)

And I think you need to look at weight reduction more than anything else for the STR-4. Loosing 100-200 pounds by putting on all carbon panels (minus doors & corner panels) should make a big difference.

Guest bastaad525
No, that's people's way of saying "you are asking for too much money."

Heh... could be. Still think it's odd... I mean... when the car was not drivable, blown head gasket, which I didnt' even know for sure that's what it was, coulda been a cracked block or head, had the price at $4000 and was getting a lot of calls and emails but finally decided if people wanted it that bad then it was worth just fixing and keeping. Since then I've added the I/C with custom stainless piping (about $1000 right there), the RRFPR, and rebuilt the motor top to bottom... that's not worth an extra $1000??

HI' date=' I enjoy reading all of your post. I just dynoed my 73 240zt for the first time and got 203hp and 262 tq. My boost level falls just like what you have experienced. What was your fix?????

I have a very similar setup like yours ie, stock engine ,14psi,supra ic, diy mbc, stock f.pump, injectors,300zxt ecu and maf. I do not have a rrfpr. Thanks for any help,Kenny(L.A)[/quote']

I hope you don't mean stock injectors... you're gonna blow your motor if you are. Stock pump might be at (or past) the ragged edge as well at 14psi... some have run that much on it, I would not. I fixed the boost falling off issue by switching my boost controller around. I used to have it getting it's signal from the turbo compressor housing, like stock setup just with MBC inline. I now have the MBC getting its signal from the intake manifold. Boost still falls off a little by 6000rpm, like maybe 1psi? used to fall like 3-4 psi. 203hp for 14psi is WAY low. Also, you might be dropping boost like that because of the Supra IC... smaller I/C's can have a lot of pressure drop as RPM goes up.

If you are running the stock fuel pump and stock fuel injectors you are running waaaaaayyyyyy tooooo LEAN. At 14psi you should be near 230hp and 280lb-tq. I would recommend turning down the boost intill you get these parts. Also if you are running lean on the top-end you will lose boost because of less combustion so less energy to spin the turbo.

at 14psi I made 303 ftlbs of torque at 3000rpm, and 'only' 233 rwhp BUT, when I dynoed I had that problem with the boost falling to like 10-11psi by 6000rpm. So I lost some power there, and estimate probably about 245 rwhp now that boost isn't falling off like that. That was on a dynojet, but I also dynoed on a dynapack, and made 226 rwhp at 12psi (hardly falling off at all by 6000 rpm) and running very rich. Also, my trap speeds are like 106ish mph which also equates to about 245 rwhp for my cars weight with me in it. And again, I agree with thumper, 73240zt if you're running stock injectors turn down the boost!

I drove a 1998 m3 I am not sure if this is the same one? It made 240 horse... It wasn't that fast, I was acctually unimpressed.

No this was the model AFTER that, the ones with 333 hp, and like 270 ftlbs of torque. Rev to like 8000rpm, weigh about 3400 lbs. Runs like a 13.5 stock or maybe a couple tenths lower? Thing that kills me is I think I coulda took him if it weren't for my crappy launches. Stock ZX wheels, 195 width tires, 303 ftlbs of torque trying to find their way down thru an open diff... lots of fun and very crappy 60' times :D It's my own stupid fault for wanting deperately to stay as sleeper as possible with a very stock look. Big fat tires are gonna let on that maybe somethings going on ;)

Fastest car you've raced is a non Z06 vette?! Do all your friends have slow cars? First week I had my gold ZX I race my friends 800hp (with blower disenguaged' date=' didn't have it all working at the time and was STILL pushing 800 on the dyno) stang. Of course I lost when his right foot flinched but it was still fun watching it FLY past me.

Then I race my buddies CRX, wich beat me... That sucked. I thought I might have him on the start due to his suspension needing lots of work.

So what more important? The money from selling the car, or the space? Maybe you should try to sell some parts off it somehow and keep it 8)

And I think you need to look at weight reduction more than anything else for the STR-4. Loosing 100-200 pounds by putting on all carbon panels (minus doors & corner panels) should make a big difference.[/quote']

Yes, my friends DO all drive slow cars. Well I do have one other friend with a turbo 280z, but it's all stock right now so no that quick. No other friends of mine really are into fast cars. I have raced quite a few cars though but yeah I think that C5 vette was probably the fastest one. Wasn't even a race really... we were side by side on a freeway onramp, at a red light. He was in the lane that merges over, and thought he'd just dust my old slow pos and get in front of me. He took off from the light only halfheartedly, tires gave a little squeak, and I decided no way I'm not giving it up that easy. Punched it and jumped out ahead, he realizes whats up and gets more insistant, by the end of the onramp I was still a little bit out ahead of him, maybe half a car, he slams on his brakes and lets me through. 10 seconds later on the main freeway he goes blasting by me at well over 100mph... sore loser :P

The most important part of selling the Z is not having two cars, not having two projects going, and yeah the money... some of that money is going towards bringing the SRT 'up to speed' literally... that is to say, I want to get it as fast straight line as the Z. I don't think I need two fast cars, and my wife wholeheartedly agrees. The Z is great but really is a weekend car in my eyes, definately not the kind of car I would enjoy driving every day, and with winter coming it's gonna be sitting parked a LOT. Just doesn't seem to be a point anymore... I need a fast daily driver.

And yeah I'm looking at weight reduction in the SRT, there is one guy who got it down by 300 lbs with some pretty easy stuff, nothign crazy like carbon fibre body panels... mostly free stuff or stuff snagged from a cheaper Neon.

It's all in the plans ;)