HybridZ

Should I or Shouldn't I Painless harness?

Guest rick458

Guest rick458

I have Many little glitches in the Electrical system to work Out on my

74 260, would it be faster and Better to just replace the old wiring with

the Painless 18 circuit harness, or redo all grounds?

Also if I change the wiring How do I make the joints, and do you use the GM style or Non GM style Painless Harness ?

• 3 weeks later...

That is the route I will be going with when I finally get moving with the work on my 240z. I'm in the buying stage of my buildup. Other members have done their own custom setups redoing the complete wiring harness but it looks alot simpler, time saving, and cleaner to go with a painless wiring setup. I haven't chosen which kit to go with though and will decide that when I get to that point.

I am facing the same issue. My last car had a painless 8 circuit. Seemed to work well. This car had a custom switch set with fuses that was grafted into the stock harness. Well I have since removed all the stock harness. I left the plugs on all the lights. Then I hung the harness from the highest tree and stripped the lighting circuits out of it. I am shopping for a painless set now. I will run light a couple aux circuits and whatever is needed for the engine. I thought about using the custom panel but it is not very clean. The painless is all fused and solid.

Wiring for me will be the next challenge.

when I first rebuilt my 240Z i ripped apart a 78 280Z harness, deleted all the wires I didn't need, cleaned all the connectors and re-routed some of the harness to clean things up a bit. it worked great, but in my mind it was still 30 year old wiring and glass fuse technology.

just last weekend I ripped every last wire out of my 240Z in preparation for a EZ wiring 21 circuit kit (http://www.ezwiring.com) from what I've read using the search function on this site, its quality is comparable to the painless kit at less than half the price. hopefully I will have it fully installed by my christmas break and can contribute to the already helpful write up about the painless kit located on this site.

I will be using the stock connectors spliced into the ez wire harness using new metal plugs for the plastic stock connectors that are available through a few online retailers.

Do it, it's easy! And you'll be more likely to know where the gremlins are having installing the whole system. The stock system is designed for glitches :) Or at lease that's what I came to realize when pulling it. Redundant grounding and all kinds of oddities. Go simple, you'll be glad later.

when I first rebuilt my 240Z i ripped apart a 78 280Z harness' date=' deleted all the wires I didn't need, cleaned all the connectors and re-routed some of the harness to clean things up a bit. it worked great, but in my mind it was still 30 year old wiring and glass fuse technology.

just last weekend I ripped every last wire out of my 240Z in preparation for a EZ wiring 21 circuit kit (www.ezwiring.com) from what I've read using the search function on this site, its quality is comparable to the painless kit at less than half the price. hopefully I will have it fully installed by my christmas break and can contribute to the already helpful write up about the painless kit located on this site.

I will be using the stock connectors spliced into the ez wire harness using new metal plugs for the plastic stock connectors that are available through a few online retailers.

Thanks for the info on that kit sparky. im gonna go with that too when i get the money. i hate old harnesses, they are ugly and heavy. ill tell you how mine goes as well.

• 8 months later...

It looks like I'm going to do a custom loom for the ZX, considered a kit but they seem to be made for American cars with their plugs etc. Do like the idea of the kit wires being marked along thir length though, useful feature.

The S30 wiring was not the best in the first place, by now it is..........

• 1 month later...

I went with the painless PRF-50002 12-Circuit Pro Street Harness

I thought 12 circuits would cover everything in a zxt.

"hey seem to be made for American cars with their plugs etc"

These use GM style plugs, if you re-wire everything (like me) I guess it isnt to bad, I do like the GM weatherpacks that come with their o2 and temp sensors.

12-circuit kit includes:

Start

ignition

electric water pump

radio

electric fan

electric fuel pump

brake lights

headlights

taillight

wipers

turn signals

emergency flashers

horn

coil

charging

mounting bracket, fuses, wire ties, grommets, terminals

headlight plugs

Some wouldnt be used with stock setups, I'll be using all of these and then some.

• 3 weeks later...