HybridZ

some questions about coilovers after doing some reading

ok im pritty sure im gunna go with the ground control coil over kit but i have some questions about coilovers in general.

iv been doing alot of reading on this site and on other sites about coilovers. it is my understanding that the wieght of the car seat the springs. but i cant understand how that in anyway can be safe. take for example flying over a hill at high speed. couldnt that unseat the spring and damage the supension. from the coilover faq i got this " 2. Extra effort when lowering the car from a jack or lift to ensure the spring is properly seated in the upper spring perch."

how is it still safe to use coilovers?

I do not have coil overs but my springs (Arizona zcar) are short enough they will unseat when the car is jacked up. We have a nasty autox course here with a driveway that I gets the front wheels off the ground very time I go over it. I have never had a problem with the springs seating wrong but I do have to make sure they are seated right after I let the car off the jack. Don't worry about it the springs will be fine.

iv been doing alot of reading on this site and on other sites about coilovers. it is my understanding that the wieght of the car seat the springs. but i cant understand how that in anyway can be safe.

Where's the spring going to go? It's trapped. It may not seat correctly and that may end up damaging parts but I've never seen an issue from running on the streer or autox/hillclimbing with coilovers. It usually only happens when you jack the car up.

There are a couple of things you can do to help as well. You can wire the springs to the spring seats (some use zip ties) or you can use droop limiters to make sure the spring is always seated. Having enough droop so that the spring is completely unseated isn't going to get you anything. It also makes jacking the car off the ground a little easier.

Cary

On a quality set of coil overs the perch is flat and the springs are ground flat so there is no wrong place for it to re-seat on the perch. Beyond that I have to agree with Auxilary.

Dragonfly

Not completely flat I hope.... That would allow the coilover to go anywhere as long as it is on the strut bottom and strut piston, but it could still wander up top. I think it is mroe common to have the outside seat recessed and the inside raised.

Not completely flat I hope.... That would allow the coilover to go anywhere as long as it is on the strut bottom and strut piston, but it could still wander up top. I think it is mroe common to have the outside seat recessed and the inside raised.

Here is a link to what I have on my Z, http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/image.php?image=http://www.ground-control-store.com/images/fullsize/4516_fs.jpg&name=Coilover+Conversion+kit%2C+70-74+Datsun+240%2F260+Z+WELD it does have an inner lip to keep the spring located on the perch but the perch itself is ground flat.

Dragonfly