HybridZ

Ahhhh.... almost done... and my bank account is crying...

Guest 73Turbo240z

Guest 73Turbo240z

I'm barely going to scrape the tip of the iceburg w/ this post most likely, i've uploaded a variety of photos that kinda do a generalization of whats occured thus far.

As some may or may not know, i came into posession of my 73' last christmas, per my dads instructions from his will that was set forth when he died roughly 2 decades ago.

3502_p95082.jpg

I told myself i'd build the car and have it presentably running within one year of that day, in order to debute my complete revamping of it in less than a year... and man, what a year it has been, the only thing i've not touched to alter on this car is the paint at this point, i've either altered or restored EVERYTHING else. And i'm much poorer for having done so, though i feel it will be completely justified in the end the 1st time i drive her, the 1st time i make a pass with her, the 1st time she steps sideways...

I did the math on what i'd spent about halfway through the year, at the time i'd only finished the engine buildup and had began ordering supplys for the suspension... that number was bad then, i'm too afraid to calculate it now... once again, i'm waiting till the cars running, then i'll calculate it all and that way once i get depressed i can go back and take it for a spin to cheer up.

So basically i figured i'd post up a photo montage of what all i've done so far, i've followed in some peoples footsteps, and i'm trying somthing new in other realms i think... either way, if a photo strikes your fancy, feel free to inquire.

I'm doing so well on schedule lately that i've decided to push myself for a thanksgiving day debute' time, i think i can make it. Which would bring my total build time from recieval to completely revamped and running in 11 months.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay I think you're done posting pics, i kept hitting the refresh button and would get more pics. But thats looking awesome, what HP range do you think you'll be putting down? Good work, though I must say interesting color choice on the engine block.

Tyson

Guest 73Turbo240z

In the end i believe i'm going to pull off this HY35w swap... running a ZXT actuator for lower PSI resolution that the stock holset actuator couldn't. However i stumbled across that forge post last night w/ there upgraded swappable actuator springs, so that may been a needed upgrade in the future.

I'll be running holset elbow that you can see in the photos, then a 3.5" downpipe that will reduce to 3" just before it makes the turn to go beneath the car

I ended up not being able to use my NPR intercooler, the other 2 z's in town that have run NPR's both had stock radiators, i didn't factor my AZCar radiators side endtanks into the equation, so there is just no way that i can make it with the AZCar Radiator and the NPR... so i'll be running a different front mount setup, in the end it will appear much more stock-ish and N/A looking from the exterior because of this, so i'm not complaining.

The biggest PITA's so far have been sourcing all the obscure fittings needed for the oil feed line, locating a R200 mustache that isn't being charged a kings ransom for, and going through and methodically replacing EVERY bushing in the car. That and stripping paint off the engine bay w/ a wire wheel for 6 hours straight wasn't too fun either.

Guest 73Turbo240z
Okay I think you're done posting pics' date=' i kept hitting the refresh button and would get more pics. But thats looking awesome, what HP range do you think you'll be putting down? Good work, though I must say interesting color choice on the engine block.

Tyson[/quote']

yea sorry, i have about 3 gigs worth of documentation so far, so i tried to keep the photos to only that which was really pertinant or referenced key components.

horsepower wise, to be honest i have no clue, i spent a pretty penny on the bottom end, had it blue printed and balanced, ceramic and friction coated the pistons to free up rotation a bit, and i've lightened it as much as i can with the rotating assembly (fidanza flywheel, az car pulleys, etc..)

i'm not really worried about the pistons grenading on me as long as i keep my AFR's happy, however when i used the L28 crank and L24 9mm rods thats what worries me, everyone here seems to think they're great, and i did plenty of reading on how they're a good combo to run, but prior to this i ran a volvo 4cyl motor in a wagon of mine, and we considered 9mm's to be to small, and would seek out early 90's "big rod" motors that had 13mm rods.

Realistically i would say i could get 400 easy out of the engine at this point, i have a phase 2 planned for the engine that will involve going to a mechanicle head that is fully built w/ a aftermarket cam setup to give me more top end along w/ the mechanicle heads better tolerance for RPM's... my shortblock is warranteed for whatever i want to spin it out too, i paid out the butt for it, but they're that confident in there assembly/machining, so long as i don't over heat it, any other catastrophic failures are on them. I overbuilt the shortblock as much as i could cause i do want it to last, i've never built somthing this powerful before, so i wanted to factor in a little bit of overbuild to account for my eventual stupid mistakes i'm sure i'll make.

Tuning this thing is what really scares me... sudden freak lean condition and i window this very expensive little toy.

Guest 73Turbo240z
intrested in how that holsett is gonna turn out, since oh i dont know, they are dirt cheap from upgrading dodge guys and they are good for 40 psi i hear

yep, you and i are on the same page, i like being at car meets when honda guys boast they've just bought a stage 5 t3 and can pump out 25psi no problem...

never gets old seeing there face when i tell em my turbos nothing special, and would consider that low boost.

this is a 9cm turbo, part of phase 2 includes trying to source a custom tubular manifold... and putting on the 12cm holset

Guest 73Turbo240z
I don't like asking this but I'm deciding on High performace L28 or an SR' date=' the L28ET would be a lot of similar parts that is on yours, so far with most of my calculations i'm close to 6.5k on the L28ET, and close to that on the SR20DET.

Tyson[/quote']

are you inquiring about the cost of the shortblock build?

i'd have to dig up all my reciepts to give you a 100% solid figure... but the build list itself for the shortblock only is:

Purchased L28ET w/ extra parts from a guy for $700

Forged pistons $629.00

Toga oil pump $100

AZ car pulleys $300

Findanza flywheel $320

ARP hardware was about $85, $139, $50... so about $300 after shipping for it all if i remember right

Machinework was about $900 if i recall correctly

L24 rods were free in my case since i pulled my 73's rods, market for em seems to be about $100ish though.

Coatings for the pistons was $220 for ceramic tops and friction skirts...

So thats about $3600 into the shortblock in parts and machinework alone.

Thats not counting gaskets, manfolds, turbo, sensors, ignition components, lines, 60mm upgrade, etc... basically all the stuff to make a complete longblock. I'm also probally forgetting alot of stuff, i suspect that i've got roughly 15-18k into the car at this point w/ all things being considered, i just don't want to talley up the reciepts to actually figure it out... to scarey...

Guest 73Turbo240z

Oh and for "color choices" in the engine bay.. honestly there were none, i painted most of the stuff black just to make it hard to pick out when folks are looking under the hood.

Aside from that i'm more of a "function over form" kinda guy... the gentleman i purchased the engine from had chosen to do the blue, i probally should have painted it black, but whatever... leave that for when i do phase 2 and the heads off.

yeah thats a little scary and yes thats what I was looking for, sorry for not being more specific. *sigh* engine choices and money make my head hurt. BTW i wasn't complaining about the pics, i liked seeing all of them I just thought it was funny everytime I'd hit the refresh button there'd be more pics.