HybridZ

4 speed mounted to l28?

240zwannabe

I am one of those members who reads more than posts so i did search. i couldnt find any posts concerning anybody mounting the L24 transmission to a L28ET, can anybody point me in the right direction or atleast give me some insight on wyh this would be a bad idea, or if it will even work. thanks

It will work, you need all the clutch bits from the L24 or the L28ET, in this case you'd want the L28ET stuff because the L24 clutch was weaker and really won't hold down turbo power. So flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disk, and throwout bearing need to match, and you should use the L28ET stuff.

The Datsun 4 speed isn't as burly as the T5 that the L28ET comes with, but it should work and if you're nice to it should last a while. Lots of guys transplant the L28ET and use the NA ZX 5 speed. Your transmission is essentially the same, but doesn't have 5th gear.

well, what i was really hoping for was a more torquey transmission but if the 4 sp. cant handle it as well then ill forget that idea. reason i ask is i found a L28ET with 99,000 miles that runs great in a junkyard for $400, i guess ill find a 77-79 tranny. thank you

first of all welcome to hybrid, nice to see another local, al the L6 trannies are interchangable, the 240z clutch and tranny will hold just fine unless your a hardcore dragracer and beat on it and modify the motor, I ran a 13.010 quartermile with a stock early 4speed with no problems (I'm now running 12.8 but needs more tuning), I am currently running the KA24DE tranny due to lack of T-5's in our area, and if your looking at $400 I expect thats a whole car? last time I checked marshals had a turbo car complete but with an auto and I got my donor from them for $350 complete! I say stick the turbo to the trans you have and you can upgrade later if you brake the stocker, I am still running the stock sized smaller clutch but with the nismo disk and a cf pressure plate, your welcomed to join the local Z club for dyno day at automotion on broadway on 11/12, bluegrasszcarclub.com if you want to meet the rest of the local z geeks

240Zwannabe - You want to search some on transmission ratios. The 4-spds & 5 spds that came with the 75-78 280Z and 79 280ZX have a higher numerical 1 st & 2nd gear ratio than the later 80-83ZX's. If you want some extra torque to the rear wheels at low speed - 1st or 2nd gear - then you would probably want one of them. Their standard differential was the 3.54:1 R200. The later ZX's needed the 3.90:1 R200 to have a similar final drive ratio in 1st & 2nd. Therefore, if you want the most umph - get the older tranny and find a high numerical differential to go with it.

atleast thats what i was told. bought everything from a guy in cincinatti planning to do a v8 swap, originally thats what i wanted also but my love for turbos got to me. for $2000 price included car with very little rust, 6 point roll cage, 3.36 r200, tokico hp struts, eibach pro kit springs, all original interior, absolutely no dents, running L24 (not installed), full bushing kit, new/freshly painted subframes. i think thats it i cant remember everything off the top of my head. anyway he was a really good guy, he might be on this forum somewhere. oh yeah and i can't forget the rottissirie that came with it. by the way nothing assembled except the steering column so ive got some work to do

Here is great website on transmission ratios. http://www.geocities.com/z_design_studio/transmission.html

Personnally if you are going to run a turbo motor I would go with the 81-83 n/a 5-spd. It has a better 1st and 2nd gear so that you can build boost and accelerate better. Plus its been proven to handle 350hp+ And you can run the larger 240mm clutch vs the 225mm. The other good thing is it has a real 5th gear. The earlier 5-spds put the 5th gear and reverse gear together so they are weak. And it wasn't that deap of a 5th gear. Good luck

It depends on how much power you plan on running. Alot of people assume that with a numerically high diff ratio you will go faster. Well that may be true sometimes, but not always. A L24 with 120hp might benefit from a 3:90 or 4:11 ratio, but a L28et with 250+hp and gobs more torque would take those gears and spin up to redline in the blink of a eye. You would spend more time shifting gears than anything. A engine with alot of power benefits from a steeper gear ratio that allows it to WORK.

I have a L28et with a 3:54 ratio diff and a 83n/a tranny. I find the ratio works quite well, but I wouldn't mind trying a 3:36 rear end (if I could find one) Right now, I have to shift into 4th before I cross the quarter mile, it would be better if I could just leave it in 3rd I think. Plus the steeper gears would make it harder to spin out the tires.

When choosing a set of gears always consider the OVERALL ratio. For example..

a 79zx with the early tranny and 3:54 diff has basically the same overall ratio as a 83zx with the late tranny and a 3:90 diff. Steep tranny and low diff or steep diff and low tranny. Basically 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

Check out all the possible gear ratios here:

http://www.geocities.com/z_design_studio/