HybridZ

round two

fl327

I have drag radials, and when there is VHT down, they stick like stink without dropping the pressure. When there is not VHT down, the spin pretty bad.

But the stick on the street when I roll into the throttle. Dump the clutch, they are outa here.

MT ET Drags man. The only way to go.

DRs do not need VHT to stick. They have a traction limit and the trick is finding that limit and living within it. When you do, the results are amazing. You certainly cannot just rev it up and dump the clutch. For me, anything over 7+psi boost on the transbrake blows them away, but 5-6psi nets low-1.60s and the occasional 1.50s.

You need to check out the NHRA Import Street-tire class and see guys launching 800+hp Supras with DRs and running mid-9s. Launching hard with DRs takes patience to find the "sweet-spot" and discipline to stay in it once you find it.

Spinning them is more fun. They leave really pretty black marks. :D

My problem Scottie is my turbo spools so fast than even a moderate launch with spool the turbo and break them loose, without VHT. With VHT, I can leave at 4k or maybe a little better.

I am working on getting a new turbo, and am going to slow down my spoolup, which should help. I want 11's without having to cut a 1.6 60 foot time.

I am looking at a stage V turbine in a .63 Ar housing and a 60-1 compressor. It is a 10 second turbo on a DSM, so I hope it will do the job for me. The 2L engines don't spool it until about 4000 or more rpms, but I am betting I can spool it a lot quicker than they can. This is a hybrid turbo.

The problem you are facing with the stock turbo is one that just absolutely killed my ET when I ran the stock turbo also. I was running 245/50-15 ZR tires and struggled to get any traction at all. I upgraded to a t3/t04 and immediately cut a 1.74 on the same tires. Funny thing is that you hear so many complaints about turbo lag and I thought that instant response was just as much a problem :D .

If I had to do another L28ET in a 240Z, I would probably use a lesson learned from my current setup and run a 3.54 or even 3.36 with the widest ratio gearbox available for drag racing a turbo.

I have a hybrid right now. I spool it fully to whatever boost by 2800. Since I had a ZX, I switched the 3.56 diff for a 3.90. I think the 3.90's help as far as making good forward progress even when spinning. On the street, it hooks up sweet if I just stand on it.

As you can see from my new sig, I picked up a 74 260Z last night, so it is going to be my new turbo project. I think shedding 500 pounds should drop me a pretty good bit considering what my ZX ran. I am still going to upgrade the turbo.

Lag problems are only there when I am in a gear I don't need to be in. I think a lot of lag problems with hybrids are due to not getting your wastegate set up properly. MY wastegate actuator is one I had Topend make for me. It is dual port and adjustable. (internal) I use a manual boost controler to introduce boost to the bottom port to manipulate the boost over the wastegate setting. Most people adapt the stock Nissan wastegate actuator, and it is marginal at higher boost levels, and just cannot handle a higher flowing turbo, IMO.

If I get the turbo I want, I expect it to have some lag, heck the wheel is 2.5 in exducer 2.7 inducer, and that is considerable larger than the stage III turbine I have now. It flows enough for 600 hp according to turbonetics, and with a 60-1 compressor, it should flow alot of air.

I want 11's. I think I can get there dropping 500 lbs and going larger with the turbo.

13.7 on a strong running but old sj327 with camel hump heads, weiand manifold, 600dp, rams horn manifolds, hei, and not a lot else thru a four speed, im either going to go auto next or im going turbo in another z car, time to try something new.

That can't be right. I have a 327 w/camel hump heads and I ran a 14.2 after backing off early because I was getting some vibration. I went through the traps at only 60 mph so I'm sure I could have gone at least 13 flat. This was with bald $hity tires. Funny thing was I still spanked the supra turbo I was racing.

• 2 weeks later...