HybridZ

fattest road race tire and wheels combo for stock spring perches

A size that I use on one of my 240Zs with stock spring perches is....

15x7 +4 offset....225/50/15 Victoracers....less than 1/2" clearance to the stock spring perches.....I had to roll the wheel well lips to provide clearance.....fattest tire and wheel combo you can get in there without actually cutting the lips or converting to coilovers.

Very Nice stick out of the Kumhos...I have video of my car with my camera mounted in Marks E-30...I passed him and then took it a little easier to keep him behind me the rest of the session....Mark was out turning me when I was running the Azenis tires...but I can easily out turn him with the Victoracers...

In fact the E-30 was constantly over rotating comming out of turns 2 and 4...I never fishtailed during the normal run groups...although i did get it a little out of sorts with trail braking during time trials in turn 5.

Rockingham ate most of the tread life of the new tires in one event. I am a little disappointed that they are going away soo quickly... I spoke with Rex about his experience at Rockingham in ITS a few weeks ago... He said he corded a set of Hoosiers on the front wheels during practice. He corded another set of fronts during the race...15 laps I think. I don't feel soo bad now...Apparently Marty corded a set of Hoosiers this weekend on his Miata too.

Ohh... and +4 offset makes the wheels sit closer to the centerline of the car...NOT OUTSIDE....I am sure that anyone running a ZERO offset wheel will have to cut, bash, or pry away even MORE OF THE FENDER LIP to fit 225/50/15s....

as mine sits...I have lowered the car 2"s and the tires fit without ruining the fender lips...just a neat roll up of the upper lip in the REAR ONLY...completely invisible from outside.

The asphalt at rockingham is pretty rough and it chews up tires quickly.

I don't buy the 700 shaved, I get full depth, which is only about 3/16 in. Then I heat cycle them and let them set 24 hrs before running them. Usually at CMP I will get 4 days out of a set.

Get used to it. Once you put stickies on street tires are never the same!

jt

I heard from a number of corvette guys that the rock was eating tires for them as well, and that the track would get real greasy at the end of a 30 minute session, which is clearly the tires going away... One of the guys posted a video of a 350Z hitting the wall pretty hard last weekend. If I can dig it up, I'll post the link.

I had similar results back in the 90s when I ran at Atlanta motorspeedway... hard setting up the suspension for ovals... Those nascar boys earn their money!

Mike :cool:

yea, that was my friend who was in the 350. Its a dedicated track car. If you notice, the vette never lets up to help him pass at all, even shifts into 4 as the guy is passing him. If you are gonna wave someone by, you should let up a little. I think both cars had a portion of the blame.

He had the car roadworthy at 11pm that night, but had flat spotted all 4 tires so couldn't drive it sunday.

If you read the thread, Sam claims he wasn't even doing hot laps. He was doing an orientation lap and was at about 2/3rds. He claims your friend overtook him off line and lost it... I don't know because I wasn't there and the video shows very little...However, If you compare the footage to the other footage he posted, he clearly wasn't going 8/10ths.

The blame is always placed on the overtaking driver, and I've been hung out to dry by "slower" students who waved me by, only to pin it and drag race down the straights... Not saying this did or didn't happen, but the blame always gets pinned on me when I biatch about it in the pits...

Nature of doing track days. varying degrees of skill and horsepower.

Mike

Pop N Wood.....

is your car lowered?

have you added caster, camber, toe to front and rear tires....all of these things will change the way the tires sit in the wheel wells....

It is interesting to me that soo many people have different experiences with fitment of tires.....Obviously suspension changes will affect clearance....but I think part of this is due to the fact that our little metric tire size system sucks major butt....You look at 10 different 225/50/15 tires and you will find 10 completely different sized tires.........even on the same size rim.

Yea.... John took the hit very well....I did not hear him blame anyone else openly...He will get it fixed and have it back on track for our next event...

This is just one more reason for John to leave the 350Z in the barn next time and bring out his 260Z for the next event.

Well regardless, It sucks because that car looks beautiful. Has he had it at VIR recently? Looks familiar...

On tire fitment issues, I've noticed as much as 1/2 inch difference between tire manufacturers in the past... Section/ tread widths vary by design and I always research manufacturers websites and tirerack.com for any data I can find for dimensions before I buy tires. You'd think there wouldn't be much varience between 225/50/15s out there, but there is...

Mike

well.... we also have to consider that big tires on a street car may never see suspension compression like we get at the track...especially at 110 MPH on a banked oval....My car probably had 3 times the weight on the outside tires during that banked turn on the oval....I ripped past a C5 Corvette that was throwing a lot of tire smoke from the fender wells in the oval...

I was bottoming out comming off the bank and back onto the infield when I late braked... I found that I had to brake early and let the car settle to avoid throwing sparks entering turn one... apparently I was dragging the front edge of the floor pan frame rails....I also swallowed a rock or something big this weekend....My frame rails look like someone took a grinder to them and I have a huge dent in my newly replaced floorpan on the passenger side.

Guys who drive on the street only will never see the fitment issues we have in track prepared cars.

John, how high is your car to the flats on the bottom of the rockers? When I was running the 225/50/15's, I was at about 5 1/2"; just trying to get a comparison, I think your car is a little lower than mine. Are you running any LCA spacers?

Mike (2003Z), is that the world famous snot rocket in your sig? If so, you got a nice car at a good price. I couldn't figure out why Marty wanted to sell it.....especially for a meotter.

jt

Hehe..I was out there cutting some "skid pads" to weld to the bottom of the damaged areas...

I measured them at the foremost point before they turn up toward the TC buckets.4" on the passenger side and about 4 1/8" driverside...they are pretty beat up so they may actually be the same...but dented...This is with shortened MSA sport springs installed with Tokico blues....

My exhaust used to drag...but I had that put up tight in the tranny tunnel...so apparently frame rails are next.

I have not converted this car to coilovers... I intended for it to be "streetable"... but track capable... I turned an easy going 1:12.7 lap on saturday...I turned a 1:13.1 on sunday....It was a little marbely out there sunday...

I never late brake at Rockingham..... It is too rough and there are too many concrete walls looming at you....I am sure I could scrub it down to 1:11.+ with better late braking...

there are too many concrete walls looming at you...

Yeah, that's why I haven't been. Big motor + bad driver + no cage + no fuel cell could add up to a very bad day.

Thanks for the measurements, you're car's a little lower than mine.

jt