HybridZ

My hotel got blown up!

violacleff

Wow, I was staying in that Radisson that got blown up in Jordan earlier this year. Next time I go, I will make sure to stay on the top floors and eat out as to stay clear of the lobby.

I don't get why these guys do this in their own countries. Its sad for those who died. I'm glad though that they seem to stay clear from the US....at least for now.

Check the State Department's website for travel advisories on the areas you will be traveling in and also check their travel tips section for advice.

Couple tips from me personally:

Keep a low profile and do NOT broadcast your nationality.

Always keep all identifications within internal pockets or physically on your person (Not in handbags, backpacks, or purses).

Travel with travelers checks, limit the cash on hand.

Trust your instincts. If something does NOT feel right, go with it. Don't let the spouse or friend convince you otherwise... Safer than sorry.

Remember faces. ALWAYS remember the faces of people. If you see the same person three times within a given 8 hour period (Assuming you're moving around a given city during these sightings), you're being surveiled.

For every country and city you travel to, pre-plan and locate the US Embassy for each, print the location, map and directions from your hotel. KEEP those with you.

Always check in daily with CNN or other world news outlets to find out the latest... It helps to be aware what you might be traveling towards.

Don't broadcast intended destinations anywhere outside your hotel room. If traveling with companions, explain that you wish to be as invisible as possible while traveling.

Don't discuss much in airport terminals, Taxis, Rails, or buses. Trust NO ONE.

Mike

Travel with travelers checks' date=' limit the cash on hand.

[/quote']

Good points, except I have to disagree with the travellers checks. That makes you stick out big time. In just about every country you can use your atm card and get local currency. Best bet is to do it at the airport before you leave to avoid getting mugged on the streets.]

Also make a couple of copies of your passport. Keep one in your wallet and one hidden in each suitcase/bag that you have, so you will have something to show the embassy if your real one gets stolen.

It's been a while since I traveled abroad, and most of the places I went ATMs weren't available then, so by all means doublecheck some of these issues... Local money is better than travelers checks, but with the checks (If they are AMEX), you are insured against theft. Also, American currency in general is a real bad idea. You can exchange your american in most airports as you go through the terminals, and that is what I would do with "walking around money".

Also check to make sure cell phone service is working and the types of carriers, again depending upon how urban and modernized the environment. I've been in some real hell holes where zero luxuries were allowed or available for various (usually wars and skirmishes) reasons.

Mike

Unfortunately, the countries with trouble are extremely rich in history. I plan to visit lebanon in the next couple of years and go back to Jordan as well. Although I did take many precautions the first time around, this time, I may not stay in a popular western hotel, or if I do I will be sure to stay on the top floors, and not hang around in the lobby....eat out.

As far as keeping your nationality a secret, its impossible. And to be honest, it got me free drinks at the bar! And the chicks love Americans. Your odds of being hurt in a terrorist attack are still less than dying in a car crash. I'm just going to keep living my life, and not letting any damned terrorist dictate where I go (within reason of course).