HybridZ

should sandblasted parts be painted?

Hi all,

I've just sand blasted my LSD and it looks really clean but do I need to paint it to protect it from getting dirty easily and aid in cleaning in the future? I will start to sand blast all other suspension parts too and same question for them too. Thanks for any advice.

Vinh

Thanks for the replies guys.. Gun metal sounds like a good color but I will give it some more thought on the colors. I will put clear on it as well. I will leave the aluminum fins on the LSD alone though for heat transfer.

Thanks again

Vinh

PS. I love the sand blaster BTW. That's the next best things I bought after the band saw lol

Vinh...if your other parts can take 500 degrees in an oven .....get yourself a HB powder coater when on sale. I am looking for an oven now. Due to it's parts the diff (unless totally disasembled) cannot be coated but the aluminum diff cover could be polished and buffed. I plan to powder coat some of my suspension parts in "chrome" finish...my project ...check iut the vice grip bead roller I made out the bottom of the photos..............http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/larryjohnson97438/album?.dir=8223&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Just a note about how long freshly sandblasted parts take to start rusting.......as soon as you stop sandblasting! You may not see it happening right away, but the process of oxidation is an on going event and starts as soon as the bare metal is left unprotected....that goes for all metals however, at different rates.