HybridZ

My RB is in

z_cars_rule

Hey, i have just completed bolting in my RB20DET into my 1981 280ZX

NO MODIFICATOIN WSA REQUIRED!!!!!!!!!

I used stock skyline mounts and instualtors and just slotted the holes on the 280.

Stock gearbox mount was used. even the driveshaft slides straight in.

If anyone has a question please ask away.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont have anywhere to host the pics. if someone has an e-mail i can send them too please let me know

The gearbox mount is from an auto 280zx' date=' the manual didnt quite have the right offset.[/quote']

I don't know why members keep saying that.... all you have to do is upload them here in your own photo album, then they are hosted..... :D

After that post the pics, or if you can't figure out that, just post the links to the pics... :D

**EDIT** I found this sticky that may help you...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=98049

I know that you can "bolt in" a RB in a datsun, but wouldn't bolting it in like that cause the car to be front heavy and cause it to understeer in corners?

If you're going to use it for street and drag then I don't see any problems. Just wanted to point that out. Might even help you at the drag strip, more leverage weight over the rear wheels.

yeah, that is the 25, mine is just the 20. and i have removed the AC for now but will be putting it back on for summer, it gets damn hot here.

I cant lag on it cos i have to get it on the road for a 4000mile road trip in 1 month. so it has to get done, i am hopeing 2 weeks from now.

Man, this really makes me consider a RB in my ZX again. ONLY problem is that i'd be swapping motors every other year for smog. But it's really that easy of a swap I guess I wouldn't mind. After a couple of swaps I bet I could get the whole process down to a weekend.

A long time ago (mid-90's, I was much younger then, so it was a long time ago for me) I used to help my friend work on his del sol. We got to the point to where we were able to pull the motor out and rebuild it in just a couple hours, all with just hand tools and a jack. I bet you could reduce this swap to quick and easy steps. Most the work should lie in the wiring.

So z_cars_rule, if I have only one request, it's to know what you're going to do about ECU placement and guage conversion/placement.

I am going to be running a haltech E11 ECU, in the factory location.

As for the guages, that stock speedo cable slots straight in so that should be fine. Fuel gauge is a given, i will probly be useing the 3 center dash gauges to hold a boost gauge, oil temp and oil pressure, using autometer gauges. Water temp and tacho will be inline with the stock gauges and auto meter also.

Unless, does anybody know if our tachos use a pulse signal for their reading, if so i could use one of the outputs of the haltech to trigger the tacho.

From my reading the rb20 is not superior to the l28et? Atleast that is what I picked up from Stony's "So you wanna swap in an RB" thread. I suppose if you are located in Aus then an rb20 is a more widely available option that the l28et

You have to think that the RB20DET has 0.8L Less displacement from the L28ET.

It's kind of the old grassroots saying "There's no replacement for displacement".

You have to think that the RB20DET has 0.8L Less displacement from the L28ET.

It's kind of the old grassroots saying "There's no replacement for displacement".

sure, but with four valves per cylinder its bound to be more efficient than the stone age L28et, and with a turbo, just up the PSI to compensate for lack of displacement!

-Oliver

I am located in Australia.

so the price of building an L28et would have cost me more than the RB. I could not find any parts over here, would have needed custom pistons, intake + exhaust manifolds, probly a new cam, then a full rebuild as well including new bearings, bore + hone, slight head work. this could of become very costly. My mate has build one for more money than my RB and we will be making similar power.

Besides, i am planning on performing the 2.4L stroking process to it someday, so it wont be too bad, with the stroker kit the internals are rated to about 650hp.