HybridZ

Ebay scams

stony

Not sure this is a scam but is something to watch out for. wasnt big money but i won a set of those diomond HID lookalike headlights for the Z for 6 bux. i wasnt paying attention to shipping. figured it would be too much.

I got the invoice and i owed 42 dollars... I was like WTF!!!!!

I went back and looked at the auction and all the way down at the bottem and it was listed.

38 Bux shipping and HANDLING to alaska!!!!

So not really a scam but for sure a rip off. and not as good a deal as i thought. for sure wouldnt have bought them for that much. Again not saying they are crooks and it is clearly listed i just didnt see it before i bid. . see them here

That seems to be the trend on Ebay these days. Sell something low and charge an ASSANINE price for shipping.

Its bullshit and we all know it. I recently did some ebaying and sold an upper and lower intake from my trucks old non roller 5.0 and a power rack for old Mustangs. Both items weighed in around 30-35pds and the power rack, due to the shape and such required a pretty hefty box. Both items cost under 25$ to ship. One went to Montana (from Ky) one to Chicago or somesuch. Shipped through UPS ground. I also shipped an amp to a military address and it didnt cost a dime more than a normal address, though UPS wouldnt ship it. It still only ended up costing me like 12$ for a 15pd or so amp.

They try to rationalize the prices being so idiotic due to "handling" but I dont buy that line one bit. I ship things regularly and it takes all of 2 minutes on the average to "handle" the damn thing down to the UPS store and drop it off. The whole process takes 15 minutes start to finish.

Sorry, /end rant. Just annoys the hell out of me that Ebay sellers pull this crap.

that's how they get you to buy, low auctionprice/iteamprice and then REALLY high shippingcosts...

especcely if you live abroad eg. sweden i always have to email them before to get a price of the shippingcost (wich sometimes leads to that the auction ends and i don't get the product i really want!)

There is a difference between hi shipping and charging hi "handling costs" i lived in japan and even in alaska its an everyday thing to have to pay out the *** for shipping. BUT 38 freakin bux to send a set of headlights anywhere is BS.

It's not illegal so all im trying to get across is read before you bid. i didnt and gave away 30 bux in my opinion. not worth the neg feedback so i bought them.

they will look good in the car :twak:

Let us know how they look once they are in? I was thinking of getting those exact ones a few months ago. It seems that these are the only "cheap" lights available without the City lights that I've seen on Ebay.

In the end I felt that these lights were to cheap to be worth it. So I got the H-4's from Too Intense Restoration. Twice the price including shipping, but the lights are outstanding. My first reaction to these lights was "OMFG I can see". The beam is well controlled, and VERY Bright. And the lens is Glass not plastic.

If you let ebay know, i'm sure you can get out if it if you think you got ripped off. ebay makes their money on the auction, not the shipping... so they'll be on your side for that one.

I deal a lot on ebay. If it states $38.00 Shipping and Handling..... Your SOL.

ebay will not intervene. That seller accomplished exactly what they intended. Got you to buy because of their lower item cost. On some of those type bids...you have to be aware of the S & H charges. There is probably another seller on there with a higher cost for the item and less for the shipping add the two together and overall.... seller two may be cheaper.

It seems scammy...but ebay allows it.

That is how many sellers save money on their Ebay items. Instead of having to pay fees on a $35 item, they'll sell it for $5, and charge $30 shipping, so they only owe Ebay fees on 5 bucks. It is kind of a way to put a little more money in their pockets...

I ALWAYS check the shipping price before I bid on anything. There are sellers who use the shipping fee to make money, while others charge a reasonable rate. Be sure to read the shipping info before bidding. If they don't list shipping rates I email them for the shipping cost prior to bidding. It's one of the things you need to watch out for on Ebay.

- JOe

The S&H can be another profit center. When I ship parts and have a box size that fits my handling is around $2.00 and I round the shipping up $1.00. I shipped my Latham to a buyer in Australia by UPS and the shipping charge for around 45# was around $240.00. I about choked.

g

I sell a decent amount of stuff on Ebay and I ALWAYS charge $5 in handling + shipping. If I sell an item for $5, by the time I pay Ebay, Paypal takes there cut, I bye a box and packaging materials, get screwed by ups because they quoted me $16.50 in shipping on Monday and on Tuesday it costs $17.75 to ship, I've lost $1. So the $5 covers my costs. But $30 is rediculess.