HybridZ

Bedliner vs Undercoating

Oleh

not all undercoatings are gooey. eastwood sells a nice hard drying one. i believe it can even be painted. the problem with bedliner is, its realy heavy (relatively speaking). if your just cruising i would go this route but if your like me, and light and fast is your style. then purchase a quality undercoating. im doing beliner over por-15 as substitute for carpeting in my floors (i think, still cant decide) and using eastwoods undercoating with their spray system ($50 bucks)

There is a "paintable" undercoating. For interior and heavy use application.. the bedliner would be preferable but underneath and tust prone areas... I would use the undrecoating unless you are building a show car. I use the paintable under coating in tree pruning and as a tree wound paint and roof sealer around vents.. very cheap stuff

The "soft" rubberized/undercoating is crap. Even though it itself repells water, what really happens is that while driving, it gets hit by thousands of rock/dust/debris and the causes it to gash at some part, then that just lets moisture in and usually the undercoat incapsolated it. But with that water incontact with the metal (regaudless of paint and/or primer) and it being incapsulated there, cuases the metal to rust even faster.

I have proof of this. I have a 78 with the stuff, and a 77 without. They were driven daily in the winter and the 78 has far more rust damage than the 77 (this is in alaska by the way).

I would go with a hard sprayon liner, not no crappy stuff you might find at walmart, something that needs to be applied at a elevated temp, or herculiner.

Guest Forum_lurker

Have any of you every try or hear of Line-X? Its some really awsome bedliner from what i hear. The Army even did some testing using it agaist bomb explosion protection, they lined a metal box with this stuff and it didnt completely explode. It just enclosed it.... pretty neat stuff.

I have seen some hot-rod guys use it....

http://www.line-x.com/

I have seen some discussion about Line-X before on a Bronco forum. It seems that the reason people like it is because you can tint it to match your paint color. I believe it is similar to rhino liner though in that somebody else has to apply it. I don't think you can roll it on. It is also supposed to be rather expensive because of this.

Joshua