HybridZ

Dry reving with NOS

Dragonfly

I was at the race legal races in San Diego the other night when these two mustangs pulled into the burnout box. Both of these guys started dry reving their cars, well one of the cars (an 02' Saleen) pushed the gas a little to far and activated his NOS, according to the track announcer the hood of the car bulged out so far he thought it was going to pop open. After they burned off all the oil they swept up a pretty decent size pile of iron and aluminum some of which looked like it may have been piston parts.

I felt sorry for the guy until I realized that he was the guy in line who was being a complete obnoxious ass to everyone within earshot.

Dragonfly

Most NOS systems after being charged (bottle open) use a micro switch either below the gas peddle or on the throttle linkage which activates the selinoids at wot when dry reving his engine he hit the switch and caused the car to severly over rev. I am sure that on top of putting the NOS on the car he also changed a chip which defeated any governer or rev limmiter that may have been on the car.

Dragonfly

David, the Kit is the MSA kit that they've had out for a couple of years now. I really like it helps to modernize the look of the car.

The rims are Cromadora I think. I bought them used from a friend and used some of Ross's adapters to fit them on the car. They made a huge difference in the way the car handles and rides. Not to mention the look of the 17's.

Isn't it amazing how NOS can take a complete butt hole and reduce him to a nobody in short order?

I don't like NOS just for the risks associated with it. It is good stuff don't get me wrong, but mishaps are usually servere. I guess that guy needed to learn how to wait until you are burning the tires before activating NOS.

I would have laughed at him. Sorry.

Not sure what you guys mean by dry revving but... Nitrous overrevs won't be halted by a rev limiter. Nitrous and gas are all the motor needs to overrev - fuel cut won't stop it. If you've got a spark cut then that's bad too as the cylinders fill and don't fire - it fires elsewhere ;) Best to have a rev switch on the nitrous solenoids to prevent that little problem and set it BELOW the engine rev limiter.

Done right, maintained right, nitrous is fine. Stick a solenoid or screwup the wiring though and you could have a BIG boom! I've seen throttle bodies on Mustangs stuck in the fender. On the mod motors the plastic intakes come apart badly. The Holley Nossles interest me but they're awful expensive....

Arming a nitrous system before staging seems pretty stupid. Young kid right?

David, yes you would get rid of the chrome bumpers and the car would look alot like mine. The only amin difference would be the rear exit of the exhaust. Your car would be on the right were as mine is on the left. You could still use the kit for the 82/83 if you wanted to have the exhaust moddified. I'm sure it would be cheap and maybe free up a horsepower or two.

i have a straight thru 2.5 from the exhaust manifold that has no cat and no resonators. it exits on the driver side as yours does. i got the car with the exhaust exiting the left side.

this is what it looked like when i first got it

str8+pipe+from+the+cat.jpg?bcElfz9A_BMvcrAz

i have changed it many a time since then, but it has always exited out the drivers side. :D i cant keep myself happy