HybridZ

Aluminum VS Steel flywheel

Dp351zcar

I searched and could not satisfy my self (am I sick thinking that and looking there) that my question was answered there.

I am building a 351. Intake is a Victor JR

The heads are canfield 192's with 2.02 valves that have a curve that flows very close to AFR's CNC 194(?).

Compression is 10.5/1

Cam is starting off at a Comp Cams XE284 flat tappet.

The trans will be a T5 for as long as it lasts.

The car is a 71 240 I am hopping for 425hp as a starting point and it will be used on the street with open track days as a goal. The "street" will be used to get to the track.

What I am toying with is a

Fidanza 13lb aluminum flywheel 157 tooth that takes a 10.5" clutch

Or

A Ford Motorsports 25lb 157 tooth that takes a 11" clutch.

Both are SFI rated and the clutch will add about 13lbs.

Decisions, Decisions

Thanks

Don

I've got a 157 tooth aluminum flywheel, but it is on a 289 and it's a Mcloed flywheel. I love it though, and would not ever replace it with a steel. I suppose the biggest advantage is the quicker reduction in engine speed for shifting when I let off the gas for the next shift. It allows for a fairly quick shift.

I used an aluminum flywheel on my L28 back in the 80's.... cost me a pretty penny back then, but if you ignored gas mileage, it was a lot of fun and made a great combo with the Centerforce clutch, peppy engine, and 411 gears I had. I pulled the tranny after something like 30,000 miles and everything was in pretty good shape, considering. I really beat on that car, but you couldnt tell by looking. The only thing that I remember being an issue was I had to relearn my shifts with that combo, between the stiff clutch, and the revs falling almost as fast as a motorcycle does, it just about made you into a speed shifter.

I found that I could get the Findanza 157t flywheels for $285 on ebay and the other ones (Hays and Ram) were close to $400 everywhere I looked and 164 teeth for and 11".

Fidanza is a name I have heard, and have heard they make good products unlike the $200 noname ones on ebay. The Ford motorsport one is about $235 at summit and I am leaning towards it as it's 25lb one as it is an 11" which I can find more clutchs for.

I just don't know, I know I'm making this harder than it is.

Don

I had a Fidanzda alluminum flywheel for a while but after swtiching form my factory counterbalanced steel flywheel to the alluminum none counter balanced flywheel I soon realized that it through the balance off of the whole rotating assembly. What ever you do make sure you balance the flywheel to the engines rotating assembly. I learned the hard way. I had to pull the tranny right back out after figureing out what I did. I am going back with the steel factory flywheel.

By the way this was for a 95 LT1/T56 combo.

Guy

Thanks guys. I bought the Fidanza 13.5lb flywheel because the Ford motorsport one turned out to be a zero blance one and I couldn't use it. The 351 has a massive crank assembly and the Romac balancer isn't a light weight either so I think I'll have enough mass to rotate the engine. Now I just need to decide on a clutch. I think I will go with a centerforce duel friction unit or do you think it's overkill?

Don

Opps, I should have edited the post about the CF/DF after I searched for centerforce here on hybridz. Thank you guys.

I called summit and talked to one of their techs and he said as long as I don't run slicks than the FoMoCo king cobra or the Ram premiumHD set would be fine. Or the would be as strong as the tranny so I guess that's ok or at least a start.

I got the Ram, so I guess I will use it as starting base and go from there.

This whole car has been more of a challange than I thought it would be, with work, wife and kids and all, but it's getting there.

Don

I used an aluminum flywheel on my L28 back in the 80's.... cost me a pretty penny back then, but if you ignored gas mileage, it was a lot of fun and made a great combo with the Centerforce clutch, peppy engine, and 411 gears I had. I pulled the tranny after something like 30,000 miles and everything was in pretty good shape, considering. I really beat on that car, but you couldnt tell by looking. The only thing that I remember being an issue was I had to relearn my shifts with that combo, between the stiff clutch, and the revs falling almost as fast as a motorcycle does, it just about made you into a speed shifter.

that's when youl earn to get on the gas a little before letting out the clutch

• 4 weeks later...
(cough)CFDF sucks!(cough). I had one and all it did was chatter and turn my flywheel into a big hotspot basically. Not a big fan of them personally.

Guy

I have this clutch set and it's fine, I have a massive steel flywheel and the RPM drops about what I would have expected based on my experiance with other cars.

I did however once get a clutchset that chattered like a B***** it turned out that the "rebuilt" clutch they sold me was bad and I got another one free, that one was just a stock clutch, so maybe you just got a raw deal on the one you had.