HybridZ

Hydraulic Release Bearing Sources???

Mikelly

Guys, I'm tracking down the last few parts to load the motor and trany into the car and I need a clutch kit and a Hydnraulic release bearing... Was going to go the slave cylinder route, But realy think the other way will give some more clearance...

Anyone have sources for the Hydraulice bearing route?

McLeod or Tilton are the two ways I'm leaning towards. The Howe unit has issues with modified motors/ drivetrains, and I'm seeing the Quartermaster unit out there but not heard of anyone here using it...

Mike

Taylor Race Engineering: http://www.taylor-race.com

Here's a recent e-mail Craig sent me regarding an annular clutch release setup I put in a customer's L6/T5 car:

There are three possibilities:

1. The Tilton 600 series cylinder which consists of two parts:

a. a seal bearing retainer with a threaded snout which replaces the

existing seal/bearing retainer and snout. The seal/bearing retainer can be seen at http://www.taylor-race.com/images/products/INV-361-622.JPG

b. An internally threaded slave cylinder, which screws onto the snout, thus allowing adjustability. Thise can be seen at: http://www.taylor-race.com/images/products/INV-361-602.JPG

This does require that the seal/bearing retainer be removed from the gearbox and replaced with the Tilton seal/bearing retainter. We would need to know the bore of the pilot hole in the bell housing (the bell housing for the Datsun 240ZT5 gearbox that we have in stock has a bore of 4.850). Also, the OD of the bearing bore in the seal/bearing retainer should be measured, as two different diameters were used (Standard T5, and Turbo SVO Mustang). The correct one should be 3.350"

2. A SAAB based unit could be provided, with a custom pedistal to fit yourseal/bearing retainer snout. This would require shortening of the snout somewhat, but this is simple lathe work. In order to make the pedistal, we would need dimensions F, ST, and S on the attached drawing. We have the engineering data for the clutch height "C", and the clearance "CL" is fixed at .200. We should be able to produce this kit within a week. This would be a simpler installation for you than #1.

3. A kit, based upon the Tilton Model 800 cylinder and a similar pedistal to #2 could be constructed. The cylinder can be seen at: http://www.taylor-race.com/images/products/361-802.jpg The dimensions for the pedistal construction are again, "F" "S" and "ST."

The advantage of the Tilton cylinder is that is more durable than the SAAB, and utilizes only one seal, rather than three, reducing liklyhood of leaking, and increasing life. This would also be a simple installation for you, as in #2.

Both #2 and #3 would be simpler for you to install. There are also some issues with the T5 gearbox, with the different types of bearings. To insure that we send correct bearing/seal reatiner snout, it would be best if you sent the seal/bearing retainer from your T5 transmission so that I can match it up with the ones we have on the shelf.

If you have any questions, John, please call or write. I will be happy to discuss this with you.

Warmest regards,

Craig

Great guy to work with.

Here's what I got from Tilton:

"Hello Mike,

We show the following:

Retainer 61-625, takes the place of the bearing retainer on the front

of the

Tremec transmission. Must have for our hydraulic assembly.

61-601 hydraulic assembly with lines, for use with 10.5" clutch.

or

61-604 hydraulic assembly for use with 11" clutch.

7/8" bore master cylinder, close does not count, must be 7/8".

As long as you read the directions and install the pedal stop it will

be a

very reliable unit. You will purchase these parts through a Tilton

distributor. If they do not have the parts on the shelf it will take a

couple days to put them together here and ship them.

Regards,

Mike O'Neil

Managing Engineer

Tilton Engineering, Inc. "

The only issue I see with this setup is cost. That said, every "proven" hydraulic bearing out there is $275 or more, so there ya have it...

The Bearing retainer is $88 at Port City Racing and the bearing kit, complete with lines and fittings is another $245.

There are four members here who are all using the McLeod Hydraulic bearing kit, which will cost about the same, and uses shims to set the clearances. I believe the Tilton unit is a little more durable, based on what I've been reading, and looking at the parts involved.

Mike

CRAZY! So do you think it's worth it to go that way over the SLAVE / Fork type set up? I am super new to clutches. I also need to pick out a pressure plate, I am searching around. What's the difference between a 10.5" Unit and and 11" unit. Don't answer, I'll read up tonight and make a new post. I'm watching this one for the Pressure Plate movment though.

Removing the clutch fork and slave cylinder gives more room for exhaust AND reduces the heat to the hydraulics for the clutch system. I was going the clutch fork/ slave cylinder route and decided not to after seeing how close everything was going to sit and seeing potential interferance issues between exhaust and hydraulics.

Mike

I read and read last night on the pressure plate question to no avail. I am going to be anxious on this once the engine is through, which could be very soon!

So I can go either way, slave or HTB w/ the exhause I have. I'll read some more and do google this weekend and do as I said above, start a new thd.

thanks!