HybridZ

Engines that sit behind the front axles?

Initial Z

Greetings and happy new year! I was wanting to know if some one can post a list of engines that when installed in a 240z sit completely behind the front axles with a minimum of alteration to the fire wall if any? These engines should be able to, at least make a reliable 300 hp with the appropriate mods. Thanks,

Nate

Most V-8s, if installed as close to the firewall as practicable, will place at least the block, if not more, behind the front axle centerline. I've got the SBF in mine and the centers of the top of the strut towers lines up with the front of the block. This engine is about 1" forward of the firewall. The axle centerline is roughly 1" forward of that point (about 2" on my car as I've moved the axle forward) due to the caster. I believe the SBC has less waterpump and time chain volume up front than the Ford does.

I think I’d rather go with a 6 or 4 cylinder engine to keep weight down and fuel economy up.

Well a Ford 302 like I am doing fits completely (okay except for the fan and harmonic balancer which fit directly above the x-member) behind the cross member and weighs less then the stock I6. It will also make 300hp NA easily. The four probably won't see 300hp N/A and the street, and the V6 (if you thinking a vg30) probably will weigh a substantial amount because of the SOHC/DOHC configuration. It all depends on your style, but most V8's will make good economy, 25mpg is do able, and they will be phenomenal on the street in such a light car.

Guest 305240

A friend of mine is building an autocross 70 240Z using a 90 300ZX with a 5 speed. He got a truck trans tailshaft to put the shifter in the proper place. He thinks he will have to move the rad back as it will set so far back. He plans on doing an extensive photo shoot of the complete build. He's coounting on at least 156mph. This guy is no new commer to the speed and racing scene. He knows how to set up a chassis and engine.

Does this count? I have just a little over 300 hp at the wheels, and have 53.6 percent of the weight on the rear tires with me in the car.:)

The tops of strut tower were moved backwards 3/4" to increase caster. The center of the distributor cap is still behind the center of the strut towers. The back of the driver's side cylinder head is less than one inch from the firewall.

PICT0025.JPG

The harmonic balancer is just above the steering rack.

PICT00081.JPG

Does this count? I have just a little over 300 hp at the wheels' date=' and have 53.6 percent of the weight on the rear tires with me in the car.:)

..........................................[/quote']

Thats a good illustration of the point that rear weight bias is not uncommon for the S30. There often seems to be an assumption that the S30 is front heavy when generally it is not.

With a S30 I'd concentrate on lowering the center of gravity, which a V engine does nicely, particularly if its relatively light up top.

Well the S30 static weight is ideal but the inertial weight causes the car to be slightly front heavy do to the tall L6 engine. I was thinking of mounting the engine about 5 inches (L28e) farther back because of it, also to move the shifter farther back as well. If possible I might have the engine mounts have the engine sit a bit lower as well.

Just look for engine block weight and length and you can generally see how it will sit in the car. The 240z stock w/o the spare tire, gas and driver (with skid plate) should be about 52/48 front/rear, so I would imagine it would ride like a mr2 if you mount an engine like that with more power than the stock engine, but with the added power you should put in extra support as well.

suspension settings can also cause the car to understeer as well.