HybridZ

Rb26dett 240z

Guest pat_riot88

Guest pat_riot88

Sorry, I know this is the wrong forum and I should be searching the buy & sell instead, but I've been searching really hard for a 240/260/280z with a RB26DETT swap. There is one on the buy&sell here, but its gone already. I would build my own, but I'm in school for the next 4 years, and with my schedule, its really not doable. If you know of anyone who was thinking of selling theirs, pls reply. I'm in Vancouver, BC, Canada, but I was willing to fly down to San Diego for the other one, so within reason, location isn't crucial.

Again, I know people will tell me to build my own, and I'd love to, but can't at this point. Please dont flame me, just pass on if you don't like it.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have one to sell, but I'm sure that there is someone on the forum who builds these, as a business. With enough money I'm sure he'll do it for you. $20-25K (US) sounds about right if you supply the car. Figure that $8-10K will be just for labor.

I think that there is some one selling his almost working 510 w/RB26DETT for around $30K.

Guest pat_riot88

Thanks for the info, and about the 510, I really prefer 240z's. I know a local shop here that has done a RB26DETT swap into a Z, the guy that did Rick Wong's 240z that just sold on the buy&sell. I was really looking for one already done, but I might just have to buy the rolling chassis and get the engine installed here.

if you think your gonna get a completed swap rb26Z for less then 20-25K you are mistaken. If you do you need to go buy a couple lottery tickets as you are on lucky SOB

I was thinking about selling mine before the surgery started but wouldnt take less then 25K

Guest strokerZ

I bought Rick Wongs Rb powered 240z and had it transported to Ottawa, Canada from San Diego. I am just finishing stripping it to the bare bones (all panels, glass, motor etc out) for some minor bodywork and paint. The car is very nicely put together and will be sweet once finished. Also completing a complete re-wire with a painless wiring kit. I have to agree with most on this forum that $20k plus is about what it takes. I was going to go ahead and pull the motor from my 3.0l turbo stroker 240z but decided to sell it and get one with the grunt work done. So far I am very pleased with the car...Rick Wong is a very talented guy...the car is very well put together. Ill be posting pics in the near future of the project. See ya! Andrew

I'm 70% done with my rb26 swap, and I'll put it in writing, it will cost you $25k+, although I started with a stripped shell, and pretty much replacing every nut & bolt. I figure with that kind of power, you have to do it right from the begining, or it's gonna cost more later.

Guest JAMIE T

Agreed, mine is not leaving my garage for less than $30K. Like most guys, mine has been stripped to bare bones and is slowly being brought back to glory. Hell, a well built RB26 in the US will set you back $10K+ with upgraded turbo's. That's for just the engine.

By the way its not a 510 its a skyline!!!!! :toetap05:

My bad!:redface:

A mild RB26DETT (350Hp) will run around $8-10K with ECU & GTS Tranny. A good S30 Shell around $3-5K, add around $4K in upgrades to the chassis & suspension. Add the labor, and you've got yourself a car.

Guest strokerZ

Hey slownrusty, Yup...the car is now repatriated!:-D , although Im not sure if it entered Canada from the States to start with. I bought the car from Michael in San Diego(MXS666). Very nice guy and was straight up with me from the start about the car as I did not see the car in person. There are so few of these cars in nice shape in this part of the world (damn salt). My previous project was also a California shell and was sold here to a local fellow.

Agreed, mine is not leaving my garage for less than $30K. Like most guys, mine has been stripped to bare bones and is slowly being brought back to glory. Hell, a well built RB26 in the US will set you back $10K+ with upgraded turbo's. That's for just the engine.

I will let you know the cost of mine once all done, however in Australia, the 240Z cost me $14K (Aust), however it had had a full body off resto 4yrs ago & still in immaculate condition. (I didnt want to have to restore a car only fit the running gear). The R32 GTR halfcut cost me $5500 and the gearbox (R34 DET 5 speed $1500. So that is $21k so far - will sell some of the halfcut to get some money back. There is a long way to go so imagine a lot more money to be spent yet. Not sure how much other Aussies have spent to get there's up.

A mild RB26DETT (350Hp) will run around $8-10K with ECU & GTS Tranny. A good S30 Shell around $3-5K' date=' add around $4K in upgrades to the chassis & suspension. Add the labor, and you've got yourself a car.[/quote']

Got my semi-shell (still has a non installed engine,tranny and bits of interior) which was coated in POR15 on the inside with quite a bit of bodywork done for just 172.50.. it's all about timing I suppose.

8-10k? For a stock RB, with a tuned ECU and Tranny?

Good god, who are you buying from? I can buy all that stuff factory rebuilt for less than 5k! Shipping is only around $500 to the U.S. for a block! Are they really charging that much overhead in the U.S.? I know of at least 2 used RB's going for less than 2k on base....and an OS Cross mission for about the same!

A mild RB26DETT (350Hp) will run around $8-10K with ECU & GTS Tranny. A good S30 Shell around $3-5K' date=' add around $4K in upgrades to the chassis & suspension. Add the labor, and you've got yourself a car.[/quote']

8-10k? For a stock RB' date=' with a tuned ECU and Tranny?

Good god, who are you buying from? I can buy all that stuff factory rebuilt for less than 5k! Shipping is only around $500 to the U.S. for a block! Are they really charging that much overhead in the U.S.? I know of at least 2 used RB's going for less than 2k on base....and an OS Cross mission for about the same![/quote']

I'm including the price that you to pay for someone else to rebuild it for you with some preformance upgrades. Like New Rods & Pistons, N1 Pumps, everything but bigger turbos.

I figure that mine will run around $6K, but thats me doing all the work myself.

Guest strokerZ

Well...check EBAY for RB26 motors and half cuts in North America. Something decent (completely stock) is gonna run about 4-5K. Junk is much cheaper of course...ask some on this site that have bought motors that were good for anchors. And then there are the bits and pieces needed for a "mild" upgraded motor. And then there are all the custom pieces ot make it all work...so it adds up. I know from doing my previous turbo stroker peoject that you take the price you envision ...then add 50 to 100% more and you probably have an accurate budget (its all the "small" stuff that adds up)...LOL...Anyhow...if you have a good business plan maybe you could get into the exporting game? :icon3:

You do not need to upgrade anything but the ecu to get 350hp from an RB26. Whats with all this rebuild, N1 pump etc. non-sense? I suspect someone on a budget (I use that word loosely) just wants to get a decent low mileage motor in and running.

Sometime's its hard to figure out what a swap costs to complete when people make statements like "My swap cost 50k...and that included every nut and bolt, cryogenically frozen, not to mention the rebuild of my garage to accommodate the extra room needed and newly installed hydraulic lift", as if people can't already figure out the cost for new brakes and an r200.