HybridZ

Raced a 5.0 with my N/A turbo Z

big-phil

I have the car running pretty good now. Pumped it up to 10 psi. added another fuel pump holly?? Have about 60 psi fuel pressure at W.O. anyway my friend has a 90ish mustang all stock, and from a dead stop I wasted him! it felt great. Then roll on in 1st, again I beat him, then on the highway at about 55 mph I up shifted to 4th and walked away from him again. The only thing is stopping!! the 28 year old car don't stop on a dime!!

its a good feeling.

but the best feeling is beating the old cocky bastard in the modded porsche/vette/ferrari in a car they wouldnt set foot in.

i talked ABUNCH of crap today to a ferrari owner that came to the shop..

he talked back untill he saw the hugh fmic sticking out like a sore thumb... he didnt talk much then :)

congrats!

mike

man I would love to have that kind of power! can I get that kind of power with my set-up? or should I shop around for a "true" turbo motor? And by my set up I mean n/a block and head. I know the ecu injectors and such will have to be upgraded anyway.

HAH, I remember my first time at the track with my ZXT, I was first up against about a 74 corvette, looked nice had side pipes was really loud.

We pulled up to the lights, I wave and give a thumbs up, the guy looks to me and puts a thumbs up then turns them down. I was like how ignorant, well none of that matteres as even though I spun first hard, kicked second, missed third and finally into fourth, at the end of the track I still beat him by 1.3 seconds.

That was before I did any real mods, after being a little modified I went again, not saying much as it was only a 98 Ford Cobra, but I thought it was funny as the guy was really cool, after we pulled back into the lanes, he goes, " Wow that thing really goes, you and I were close till you hit 3rd, then all I saw was your tail lights."

I really enjoyed hearing that comment.

Trust me once you start making power you are just dying for more, and you want and want and want.

Glad your enjoying your new found glory.

Guest bastaad525

A bone stock L28 ET at 10psi will put down almost the same amount of HP as a bone stock five liter mustang... I put down 200 hp to the wheels on the dyno bone stock at 10psi. But figure he's got a bit more weight to haul around than you do :twisted:

5.0's aren't even that quick in stock form anyways... you just wait. An intercooler and more fuel and maybe 14ish psi you're gonna be in a whole other league... low 13 second 1/4 miles should be almost gauranteed with good traction and driving. With all the supporting mods like full 3" mandrel exhaust and such 12's wouldn't be too hard to achieve at 14-15psi. Hello Corvettes, Vipers, Porches, Evo's, STI's, etc etc etc....

Bastaad525 is right, it's doesn't take to many mods to really get these cars going. I've beaten some serious machine out on the highway back when I used to do that sort of thing. It's really funny to see their face then. I once beat a modded LS1 Trans Am with my car full of camping gear my wife and a full tank of gas. The guy pulled by when it was over and gave thumbs up.

I also had the race against a Corvette at the track. It was an '83 model which really has always been one of my favorite cars of all time. I smoked the guy so bad it didn't look like he raced. Something like 3 full seconds.

WOW! you guys are pumping me up! I've got to get that intercooler and injectors. I'm going to try and do the 300zx ecu swap, I think I can get all the stuff cheaper. Then talk to GreyZ for some ecu mods.....oh MAN! I want some moe Horse Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

after the race I took him for a ride in the 280, and he was like "WOW!" I didn't know it had this much power! I told him of all the stories on Hybridz.org and that this was just scratching the surface of how much power I can get.

WOW! you guys are pumping me up! I've got to get that intercooler and injectors. I'm going to try and do the 300zx ecu swap' date=' I think I can get all the stuff cheaper. Then talk to GreyZ for some ecu mods.....oh MAN! I want some moe Horse Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

after the race I took him for a ride in the 280, and he was like "WOW!" I didn't know it had this much power! I told him of all the stories on Hybridz.org and that this was just scratching the surface of how much power I can get.[/quote']

these cars and this set up is certainly a sleeper that's been around for a long time. Funny thing about it is that new things and mods are still coming up.

Guest bastaad525

if you're going to rewire the setup for the 300zx ECU, if you're into that sort of thing and confident with wiring and have some cash to spend (not much), you might as well go with Megasquirt.

A couple guys have finally gotten their turbo L6 Z's down to the dyno with Megasquirt and are getting VERY promising results, one guy put down over 200 whp at the stock ~6 psi of boost (figure about 50 hp more than a stock setup), and another guy put down just shy of 300 whp at 14psi :icon52: (also about 50 more hp than what people usually get at ~14psi with stock EFI).

I haven't seen any comparitive dynoes with the 300ZX ecu so I can't say if or how much of a powergain it would be good for, but two guys making ~50hp more than a stock setup on Megasquirt tells me that is no fluke and should be easily repeatable, and well worth the relatively small amount of money it takes to do that setup.

Guest bastaad525

hmmm I think just the basic mega squirt? I know there is Megasquirt, Megasquirt and Spark... and I dunno what else to be honest.

I know you could get it for anywhere from $200-500 depending if you build it yourself or buy it prebuilt, buy a used one from someone else (probably easy to find one), and what you buy with it.

Also if you already have a laptop for tuning or not.

It will cost a bit more and take a bit more work than doing the 300zx stuff, but not by too much, and if other guys experiences are any indication, the extra money and effort would be WELL worth it.

There is the megasquirt and the megasquirt II officially as well as a whole host of other spin-off versions MSnS. Broadly speaking spin-offs use code flash changes to get extra functionality over the basic fuel-only megasquirt I. The megasquirt II provides more functionality with hardware upgrades.

Get the MSII if you can.

Dave