HybridZ

Driving impressions FD LS1

Hi chevy crowd, I thought since it has been over a month since I bought John's (LS1240Z) 1993 RX7 LS1 conversion I'd let you guys know how the transition has gone from old tech to new. I've been very happy with my 327 240Z daily driver over the last 3 years, it's a proven runner and has a great muscle car feel to it. I've also been a big fan of RX7s from the time I started driving. I had a 1st gen and used to drool over 3rd gens back in the 90's when they were first introduced so buying John's car was pretty much decided within 2 minutes of reading his ad. John is a cool guy and the car turned out to be just as he said it was, clean and fast as F@(k. Mike and Joey (MAS280 and LS1Z) have also been helpful and I look forward to meeting up with them at the track soon. As for the LS1 RX7, here's what I've come up with so far...

The package is amazing and has tought me a lot about the benefits of new tech over old tech. The cars have an entirely different feel though so it's hard to really compare them. The car is really refined in a lot of ways - stiff chassis, precise cornering, .29 drag coefficient and adjustable intermittant wipers :-D. Feels really SOLID. About the T56...anyone thinking about buying one of these or a T5? IMO, go with a T56. I had two T5s in my Z and this tranny is a lot better. I used to reason that a T5 was better because of the weight, but after driving them both around I'm sold on the 6 speeed for how solidly it shifts and for the extra gear. The fuel injection on this car is wildly efficienct too. How they can pull close to 30 mpg in a V8 baffles me. The AFR heads pull hard and are street legal to boot. It's so Jeckle/Hyde whereas the Z pretty much lets you know where it stands up front. I'm still waiting on wheels and tires and then the car will be painted, hopefully finished before summer. I went on a drive yesterday with the Golden Gate Lotus club, here's a link to some pics if anyone is interested. The RX7 is hiding a couple places but there are plenty of nice Elises.

Brett

http://homepage.mac.com/gsnow/Lotus/PhotoAlbum101.html

Brett, It's called evolution. The RX7 takes huge advantage over 35 years in advances. I used to think it was a badge of honor to strap yourself into the Zcar and get beat up with stupid stiff suspension, sweat your balls off without sufficient A/C, and worry about getting killed from doors that are way to thin, and metal that is 30+ years old.

I love my Zcar, but it can't hold a candle to today's offerings. That is why it has become a track car project. At this point, if I trash it at the track, I'm less concerned.

As to the comments about the T56. I think it is important for members to understand that tuning and cam choice have a lot to do with being happy with the T56 combo. In my old 383/T56 combo, the 6th gear was useless and I believe tuning/ cam choice was a huge issue. If someone is doing the LSx swap, it really doesn't matter since most cam/ head combos are geared towards the OEM combo and you get good tuning out of the box.

I believe the GM LS1/2/6/7 motors are full on taking the place of the traditional small block chevy for motor swaps in project cars of all types. This market is going to explode over the next two years, and we'll be sick of them in no time at all. Guys who think it is cool now will be looking for something else just to be unique. But it will be hard to beat the power, economy, and dependability of this combination.

Can you tell I'm a fan? :lmao:

Mike

I used to think it was a badge of honor to strap yourself into the Zcar and get beat up with stupid stiff suspension, sweat your balls off without sufficient A/C, and worry about getting killed from doors that are way to thin, and metal that is 30+ years old.

Hah!! That's funny Mike, funny and true at the same time. The thing with the Z was I didn't mind giving up creature comforts for performance. Safety and dry balls are nice though. :2thumbs:

I love my Rx7. I like having ac,ps,pw,pm. I love the 240z but right now I am thinking about selling my 240z and all of the parts for it. Anyone looking for a good project. I am looking at buying a new c6 zo6, in order for this to happen the 240z will have to go. Brett we will have to meet up at the track sometime.

Mike

For those of us who don't participate in competitive motorsports, there's something to be said for the "feel" of hard acceleration and speed, vs. the actual numbers. Personally I find that a cushy (read, modern) car gives less visceral sensation of going fast, than a hollowed-out tin can with rattly exhaust and aluminum-foil doors that won't quite close properly. To each his own, of course - and I can't deny that the Gen III RX-7 is an impressive car, made yet more impressive with the LS-1 swap - but the older I get, the more affinity I feel with bare-bones, raw-knuckle cars ill suited to anything but the occasional storming down a deserted country road.

Well I went to see Rick again yesterday at Synergy Motorsports and was again impressed by his thoroughness and by how great of a businessman/person he is. He got it running real consistent, the best pull being 442 WHP/408 TQ!! Now that this is finished, I will turn my attention to other areas of the car.

mas280, you're going to sell the Z? What a coincidence, mine will be sold in two days. I still love the Z, but I don't drive it these days and really feel the car was built to be used. So it's going to someone who will appreciate it and keep it on the road every day. As Dale pointed out, they are a great bang for your buck and I know eventually I'll miss the raw sensation Michael describes. More info on the sale to come.

I'm glad you like the car.I miss the dam thing.I miss the power and all the props I used to get when guys looked at it.My LS2 RX7 will hopfully be running by next week.

Dan: He didnt get it smogged,I did before I sold it.

In California, the sellers responsable for the smog.To get it smogged.....you just go to a local smog shop.They will do the rest.What's the smog have to do with his post anyways??

Don't mean to ruffle any feathers John.

The swap is increadable. Very nice work and a sweet car, just what the RX7 needs.

My inquiry is because of our "wonderful" California laws regarding motor swaps in post 1975 cars. I have some knowledge of the hoops that Dave Greimann jumped through to perform the legal V8 swap into his 280ZX.

Any smog shop that didin't know the owner of the car closely whould need to see the DOT and CARB stickers to legally do the smog check, regardless whether it passes or not.

This is the only thing that keeps me from doing a swap like this on a late model car. I don't want to jump through the CARB hoops and I don't know a smog guy that will let me slide.

The problem with having a smog buddy that will do that is that he may not always be there years later when it needs to be done again, and again. This limits the car's market, and hence the value, using this method.

Again, no ill intent in my words above. I love the swap no matter how you pulled it off.

No worries Dan.Ya didnt ruffle my feathers. He probaly didnt answer you because he didnt know anything about it.When I posted in the AD for Bretts LS1-FD, I mentioned that the buyer would get a current smog Cert from me.

Getting a hook up with a smog guy is impossable now a days.I do meet plenty of guys at the track that are more then willing to offer good advice to someone with a build like this one.

I love my Rx7. I like having ac' date='ps,pw,pm. I love the 240z but right now I am thinking about selling my 240z and all of the parts for it. Anyone looking for a good project. I am looking at buying a new c6 zo6, in order for this to happen the 240z will have to go. Brett we will have to meet up at the track sometime.

Mike[/quote']

how much would you sel it for?