HybridZ

LS1 guys - ?? about coolant line under TB

How many of you guys disconnect the coolant line under the TB for the LS1? What affect does it have if I remove it? I would like to remove it if possible without any major affect because I have nowhere to run this coolant line to anyway. Thanks for the help guys.

PS. I have some update pictures of my LS1 swap. Click the link in my sig if you want to see them.

Vinh,

Are you talking about the coolant line that is used to warm up the TB?

We bypassed the one on my car and I have not had any problems so far.

Most LS1 guys on LS1tech have done the same. I was told that it is there to warm up the TB on cold days but I don't plan to drive it on cold days so no problem here.

Bypass kits are available on eBay for cheap($10):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camaro-LS1-98-02-throttle-body-bypass-6-RWHP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33558QQitemZ8029158514QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Mike' date='

Do you have the T with a reducer too? I am planning of using hard pipe with rubber couplings so I can well a nipple on it for the coolant line. Thanks for the info. I have something to think about now.[/quote']

We carry hose reducer bushings -- these can also be purchased from most automotive stores.

We now have equipment that allows us to expand brass tubing. For example, we now have brass hose splicers with 1-5/16" at one end, and 1-9/16" at the other end, which allows us to eliminate the hose reducer bushings on some applications

We can expand one end of our hose Tees. For example, we can make the

1-5/16 x 5/16 tee to have a 1-9/16" hose fitting.

So if I am following this thread correctly' date=' you still need to have the coolant line in place, it just doesn't have to go through the TB?

So VinhZXT will still need to find a place to T the line into?[/quote']

That is exactly right.

The way I see it is you don't really need that vent line. I've seen some guys did the LS6 intake swap and they just plugged those vent lines. For now I will just plug it where it comes out under the TB. When I get the motor running I will experiment it some more to see what affect does it has when it is plugged. I would think the worst case it will cause some overheating condition because of trap air in the cooling system. So I will see about that when the motor is running. If it doesn't work out I will then get the T. I want to do this because eventually I will do the LS6 intake swap and I can just cap the 4 plugs for the vent lines altogether if it doesn't cause any problem. Thanks for the replies all.

When you are filling the cooling system, unplug this line and use it to burp air out of the system. 944's have a valve in the head similar in position to this tube and it is used only to vent air out of the system when filliing it. Let us know how it goes.

The way I see it is you don't really need that vent line. I've seen some guys did the LS6 intake swap and they just plugged those vent lines. For now I will just plug it where it comes out under the TB. When I get the motor running I will experiment it some more to see what affect does it has when it is plugged. I would think the worst case it will cause some overheating condition because of trap air in the cooling system. So I will see about that when the motor is running. If it doesn't work out I will then get the T. I want to do this because eventually I will do the LS6 intake swap and I can just cap the 4 plugs for the vent lines altogether if it doesn't cause any problem. Thanks for the replies all.

vin, there are actually 2 lines. there is the line that goes thru the throttle body-this is what dave [quick240] was speaking of-ok to eliminate. the other, which is a small steel tube that comes off the cyl head on the driver side head, is to relieve the steam pockets that can form [which can create hot spots and ultimately ruin your cylinder heads] and goes into a 'tee' in the upper radiator hose. mike [jtr] has these 'tee's in stock.

Those vents are required. GM engineers wouldn't have gone to the trouble to incorporate these into the system if it wasn't needed. Yes, you can burp the hoses and plug them up but if a stream pocket is created you'll trash a perfectly good cylinder head. Let's see, a few hundred $ for a head and the labor involved to replace it or a small investment in a "T" coupling. It's a no brainer.

How many of you guys disconnect the coolant line under the TB for the LS1? What affect does it have if I remove it? I would like to remove it if possible without any major affect because I have nowhere to run this coolant line to anyway. Thanks for the help guys.

PS. I have some update pictures of my LS1 swap. Click the link in my sig if you want to see them.

vinh, here's a pic of the steam tube on the eng, for clarification.

steam vent tube small_thumb.JPG

Thank you for the picture David. I am working on my radiator hose right now. I am trying to keep the engine bay as clean and simple as possible. So if I can find any place to run this vent line to I will get the T from MikeJTR and it will have to be installed right under the intake air duct so no one can see it lol. Thank you all for the response.

Vinh

vinh, here's a pic showing how i ran it. the silver upper rad tube has a bung welded in with a nipple threaded in where the other end of the steam tube attaches. i rotated it underneath so it's basically hidden and, as you are working toward, keeping the engine bay as tidy as possible.

[http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=5241&size=big&cat=500&page=2]