HybridZ

how'd they do that?

Guest HBZ81

I'm sure most of us here have heard and seen the story of the twin engine, twin turbo, awd tiburon. I know he mounted one engine in the engine bay and one in the trunk, and used automatics transmission. My question is how the heck did he sync up the trannys to put out a somewhat equal speed and how could he have rigged up the steering?

it was a front wheel drive car to begin with, so steering isnt an issue. what he did was install another FWD engine/trans in the trunk/backseat with its own shift lever. the transmission were not synched at all, it was one of the reasons it lost points in the USC competition.

so it's traction would actually be pretty poor, worse then a FWD and not even really a type of AWD... i think... this whole twin engine idea is confusing me with the steering issue because i'm trying to design a possible twin engine car with two Ford Taurus SHO 3.4L V8 engines...

or is it just turned by the front wheels and the back just "spin forward" with no steering control?

An easy way to think of it would be a regular front wheel drive car then, and the think of a rear engine like a mr2, vw bug, most porsches, etc. All they did was combine both type of setups in one car. The car will shift at different times, and it will have 4 wheels powering it. Two from the fwd engine and two from the rear engine.

If you "drive by wire" like most of the new cars are going, then you don't need to sync anything, if the two engines are similar the pedal sensor would simply send the same signal to both units, of course if they were automatic, he'd probably prefer to use paddle shifting or "stick" shifting and disable the automatic shifting because they would really offset the load if one was in 1st and the other shifted to 2nd. Of course if one engine had a problem or fell out of spec you might get some squirlly stuff going on. Also, one engine may be sharing a greater load than the other depending on it's condition, which wouldn't be "felt" if it was within a reasonably close spec.

My theory, don't know if it was done or would work, but might.

Let's try it with a Z. :-D two LS1 V8's Two manual trannys. You could easily link the throttle cables to the pedal even though one would be longer than the other, they would actuate the same distance. And The shifter would only require a remote shift linkage for both trannys although the difficult part would be to fit all this under a 240z.