HybridZ

Wwwiiilllmmmaaa...

TimZ

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes - there would be no way to fit a 3 inch round pipe under there - at least not with adequate ground clearance.

The oval pipe size goes by equivalent cross-sectional area' date=' so the pipe itself is about 2.25" x 3.5"

I was thinking about angle cutting the pipes - haven't decided what I will do there. I'm a bit worried that if I don't like it or if I don't pick the correct angle, I'm kind of stuck with it. Anybody care to photo chop that?[/quote']

i got bored and had nothing better to do:

11jtzrs.jpg

Nice project!

Any idea about spool up time on that monster? Whats redline set to at thoose L engines?

How did you chrome your compressor house? Just grinding and polishing?

Or do you usa guys have some special stuff for this ? :D

I concur with the brace. A visit to Mario down at Toespeed reveals he usually makes a brace from the motor mount to the turbo flange. This is on Weld-El SS manifolds on HOndas supporting big turbos. He said even using Sch40 Weld Els' date=' there was a cracking problem from overhung weight at the flange. Since he has added some 1/4" rods to each of the bottom corners to brace it to the motor mount area (almost directly below the thing on those applications) he has not had any cracking, and it allowed him to go back to using Sch10 SS Weld-Els.

Triangulation might be a bit difficult, but he thinks a couple of rods could be fit somewhere to hold it all up and keep it from twisting. He attaches his to the flange itself. I like the idea of those heim joints, that would allow for checking stretch hot, then cold, and figuring out where inbetween you want to introduce the stresses. At that point, I suppose you could make them from a straight rod and use the ball joints elsewhere.[/quote']

Something like this, maybe?

brace2.jpg

• 4 months later...
WOWZA, that is such a killer setup. Best L series turbo motor I've ever seen!

Do you still have the hasteloy divided turbine housing valve?

Justin

Thanks!

The hasteloy valve is not currently being used - my cam really hated the added backpressure the last time I tried to use it, so this implementation is wide open. I may reconsider if I find that the GT42 doesn't spool adequately...

I've got all winter now, right? :mrgreen:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...