HybridZ

Spent some time wetsanding...

240hoke

Hello,

I just wanted to post some pictures up of my wetsanding progress. I painted my car a little while back but wasnt happy about some places in it. I came out with a good bit of orange peel and some lint and trash in the paint.

Anyway my dad helped me out with getting a good buffer for my b-day so I decided to give wetsanding a shot. It turned out AWESOME, ive only done half the car so far as it takes a good bit of time but the effort is definitly worth it.

This is what i have been doing (all meguires stuff);

1. 1500 grit

2. heavy cutting compound, wool pad

3. medium cutting compound, wool pad

4. light cutting compount, wool pad

5. swirl remover, polishing pad

6. swirl remover by hand

7. wax.

Hoping for some pointers here from somebody with a little more exprience then me lol, I dont really know what im doing but so far have been happy with the results.

1500grit

wetsand_buff_003.sized.jpg

first round of cutting compound

wetsand_buff_006.sized.jpg

final shine..woah did the floor change colors?

wetsand_buff_021.sized.jpg

wetsand_buff_026.sized.jpg

wetsand_buff_011.sized.jpg

I have no more peel but I am left with very very small scratches in some places that can bee seen at certain angles. im thinking about spending some more time with the light cutting compound. Any ideas?

Guest SouthGaZX

dang... that looks awesome to me.. if that was my paint job and i did it myself.. w/lil or no experience... no one could tell me anything wrong with it.. lol.. because i'd think it was GREAT... i didnt realize how much dif it would look after wetsanding... looks great man.

Looks Good Austin. I'd tiptoe around it now that you've hit it hard once. A second time through might put you through the clear. If you do it, I'd try an unnoticable spot first by hand with the 1500/2000/3000 like Mike suggests. Not saying he is wrong (I think he's right, actually), But you've already gone over it pretty deep once. Second time might be a charm, but it might cut through too.

Proceed with caution.

Mike

Austin, Be sure and use Halogen lights to see better for the cutting and sanding stages. Have the lights high enough off the ground and across from you so as to light the area in which you service.

Florescant lights can be used later as a swirl indicator for the lighter surface imperfections.

Since your quite new at this.......your EYE will mature in what its looking for and at.Therefore the lighting will bring the imperfections to view and decisions can be made for which steps you'll want to take to eliminate the sanding scratches etc.

You'll find that at this point....its important to know how judge the marks as whether they need 1500 grit or whatever in order to clean up whats been missed.For example.....looking at a area, is the deepest scratch in that area going to come out with ( ??grit??). Try not to waste time with grits which are too light to remove the worst areas of scratches.

In hind site........you'll find that doing the grits very carefully in full stages and squeegeeing the surface using plenty of water and inspecting each square inch .....and repositioning the lights correctly will manage you a much more perfect result. However doing it OVER.......can be what it is........a drawn out pain.

Tenacity will win out.

Looking good........best of luck,Vinny

Thanks for the tips guys, hopefully ill be able to get home this weekend to finish up. Ill start on the back, testing out hthe different grits as I have yet to sand anything behind the front fenders.

bartman -- This is the damaged hood, I would not run the other on on my car. the damage is small enough to outweigh putting the other one on my car.

Kinda off topic but Mike and Mark, i remeber yall were going to VIR in a few weeks. My car wont be sorted out enough to participate. However, I may be interested in driving up there for some more break in miles and to see what the track events are all about. Can I go and just watch?

Sure can. Just sign the waiver at the gate. Get there before lunch time and you can do the parade laps with the THSCC.

Unfortunately our contract I thought I was going to have fell through at the last moment, so I'm still working out of the house and on a shoe string budget. Bunch of leads, but just waiting for something to pop... So I won't be there during that even.

Mike

Looks sweet,Austin!:rockon:That black hood on the blue really sets it off,apart from the rest IMO.Actually I hate to switch the subject,but I caught your short video,and I've got to ask you about your opinion about the ride with those suspension mods.Harsh?Smooth?Tight?How are those T/C rods holding up?I'm quite a ways from my Z being on the road,but I'm using a few of your upgrades,and It would be cool for a short overview.Anyway,again,sorry to hyjack,and gotta say again it looks killer!

ya what i said was the order you do.. you already did the 1500.

do 2000 and 3000 on the DA with a impact pad.

yes u can use the da on a BC/CC car, the 3000 is soooo fine you wont cut threw if you do it right.

mike