HybridZ

L28 Engine blocks

The Revelation

• Administrators
Would anyone acctually be interested in an aluminum block for their L series? I have the casting equipment required to do it if there is interest. ...... Any thoughts?

Wow. That makes the alluvium L-block more of a real possibility. Sure there is lots of work that goes into what design changes over the original L-block that can and will be made to take advantage of today’s technology… i.e. you could cast it as a taller block, equivalent to the L20-B and use the L20-B front cover and timing chain, so that you can run even longer rods with those custom pistons with the really short pin height… Cast alternate oil galleys for shorter galley ways… The list of “wants” or “must haves”, I’m sure is endless…

Heck, if you can cast a new block, why not cast a V-12 that utilizes Datsun internals… Ooops… sorry about that tangent…

well question.

if one was to do a alum L6 block and do some design changes, could we say some how use a 7MGTE DOHC head?? modifiy the deck and oil/coolent passages and etc.

maybe im thinking to crazy.. but if so im in!

mike

I don't think that getting the bores and the bottom end machined would be the real problem, it would be machining the coolant part that would be difficult.

I saw some thing on tv a couple of weeks ago that a drag team did. they machined a block based on the b18 honda motor with out the water jackets out of billet alum block. I don't remeber if they used a honda head or not but the thing was making like 300 hp per cylindar or something like that.

IMHO, you guys are smoking crack. :wink: Plenty of good engines to choose from where you won't have to machine a freakin block. I don't understand the purpose of saying "It's got L series rods and pistons." Get something with longer rods and shorter pistons, and a bigger bore. Why you'd go 95% of the way to making another engine and not just go all the way is beyond me. And at that point, you can probably find a more suitable engine to start with in the first place. Just my $.02.

• Administrators
IMHO, you guys are smoking crack. :wink: Plenty of good engines to choose from where you won't have to machine a freakin block. I don't understand the purpose of saying "It's got L series rods and pistons." Get something with longer rods and shorter pistons, and a bigger bore. Why you'd go 95% of the way to making another engine and not just go all the way is beyond me. And at that point, you can probably find a more suitable engine to start with in the first place. Just my $.02.

I agree Jon, crack kills!! LOL

In my opinion it would be MUCH easier and cheaper to double the displacement and not really gain any weight by switching to an aluminum headed SBC V-8 or better yet, the LS-1, but that has been done and as such, lacks that certain WOW factor that a one of a kind all aluminum straight 6 running only a few actual Datsun parts would have. It boils down to who has the most WOW factor at the Z meetings and cruises, I think that is what makes this project so attractive.

It does sound cool, especially if you can keep as much of this creation as possible Datsun, or at least Nissan. If you are going to use Toyota or other manufacturer’s parts to make it work, i.e. complete heads, etc, why not just swap in the entire power plant, it would be MUCH easier and cheaper for sure…

I know it would be expensive but you have to admit it would be really cool to have a datsun that didnt "push" around turns and be a lot lighter as well as dissapate heat better. I was just looking for an estimated cost for an alluminum l6 block. The v8 idea is true but if you can manage a lot of horse power out of the l6 engine then you can get that "wow" factor out of people when they see your light datsun inline 6 jump off the line, i think id rather stay with the l6.

I got a question I'd like to throw out that sounds novice but oh well. From a financial standpoint, if you could get a longblock L that will support 650hp...and we all know the quality of sunbelt's work....wouldn't this be an easier way to 500-600hp than an RB, 2J, or LS? Especially since everyone says that a stock RB will run an easy 15-20k to get running good, and manual trannies will run about the same cost to hold that kind of power.

All you would need is a Kick @$$ turbo and a custom header, and viola. No having to worry about custom this labor and fabrication costs, and your car being down for 2 years while you try and figure things out. And of course you still get the beautiful sound of a straight 6 L motor.

If I were to do a run of two dozen blocks and sell them as rough castings your looking at about $500-$600 each. If you want the sleeves installed and machined it'll probably be about $1000. The market is small, mostly show cars and hardcore racers but I predict that we would only get couple dozen orders per year. not a money maker but we might be able to break even on them

You have custom machined, heavily modified aluminum block with a Toyota head on it. When parts of this engine is Nissan L6?

I would think that the toyota crank is ideal for this because I believe the nissan L6 had diffterent chamber locations (distance apart) So the only thing I could see in using from the nissan would be the pistons (c/r, pretty sure the bearing size is different) but I'm sure if anyone would take such an undertaking, would skip on using the old pistons. So it would be more of a toyota engine, All just because of designing the block around the head.

I'm not up to snuff on all the rule books but I'm pretty sure that I would have to keep the engine design fairly consistant with the original. I'm not planning on running someone else's head, the stock bolt pattern would be retained. If you want to keep a 2.4L displacement and all of your stock internals then I can do that. If you want to build a 3.2L stroker and still use Nissan internals then you can do that too and if you want to use some of my custom parts I'm sure we can get your displacement up near 4.0L! It all comes down to how big of a sleeve I can put into it. If there's interest I could increase the deck height so you can stroke it even further, the possibilities are near endless. I am also looking at doing a flow through head for those that want every last bit of power. I have more ducks to get lined up but if there is interest in this then I will have a go/no-go decision for you in about a month.

I know it would be expensive but you have to admit it would be really cool to have a datsun that didnt "push" around turns

For $595.00 a set of camber plates and proper alignment will eliminate the "push" a lot better then a $35,000 engine.