HybridZ

Rods & Update

S30TRBO

Well pistons are in, block is done, waiting on valves from Ferrara after new seats were cut in and now I need some advice.

I don't know if my machinist is getting lazy but I know he is swamped. However, today he threw this at me, he asked me to check around on prices for rods. He said after all the labor involved in race prepping the stock L28ET rods (cracks/polish/shot peen/balance/arp), and bushed for full float **thanks James** it might not be worth it and just to buy a set of rods that may be cheaper or close.

So I did some calling around and here is what I came up with:

~Pauter $1176.00 on shelf

~Cunningham $1200 12-14 weeks

~Crower $1177 12-14 weeks

~Eagle NONE

:( ouch :(

What do you guys think? I am only looking at making 400-450RWHP (more would be nice) and I know the stock rods when prepped will handle that. However, I think my budget will allow, but do I need to go all out on rods too, or kick him in the a*s and have him race prep my rods? Honestly, How much am I looking at in machining and labor costs to prep the stock rods verses going custom?

Is it really that close, I have no idea....HELP!!!!!!!

This is probably opening up a can of worms, there is an argument for not bushing the wrist pin on full floater apps. Mine aren't, this is on a full tilt race motor too, and I haven't had any problems. I just tore town the motor and there wasn't any play. The old timer I took it to has been building motors without them for a long time. He did put a pretty good sized hole on the top of the rod, based off my memory about .25".

preith' date='

Where is the argument?

Dave[/quote']

Huh? 240ztt specifically mentioned bushing the rods as part of the machining costs. The argument is to bush or not. I'm sure there's differences in opinion out there, which you can count on with just about anything having to do with engines. Typically when two parties have a difference of opinion it leads to an "argument".

Sorry' date=' I interpretted argument in the context you used it as ``the logical support of an opinion'', which I didn't really see. An elderly gentleman you know doesn't do it? Is that the extent of the support for your opinion?

Dave[/quote']

Actually that was only part of the extent of support for my opinion, the other was my own engine with a race season under it's belt, and no problems. Also, reffering to him as "an elderly gentlemen" may be oversimplification. He's an experienced engine builder.

I'm just going off my memory, but I beleive Honzowetz covers this topic in his book as well, and leaves the decision to you.

Well it's going to cost around $500-$600 for the machine work in addition to having them bushed so I think I am going to bite the bullet and go with the Pauter Rods.

My reasoning:

1.)The 350Z/G35, Skyline RB guys are using them. Pauter is no new kid on the block either.

2.)They are on the shelf ready to be shipped. I don't have to wait 12-16 weeks as my motor has been at the machine shop for 8 months. Also have another 1-2 months of fabrication for the TEC 3, manifolds, I/C and exhaust ahead....

3.)The price.

Wish me luck at least I will have a stout bottom end....

Polish them yourself. Instead of getting bonze bushings installed I just had the bore the pin holes to .006-.008 of the pin OD. Every time I took that thing down they always looked good. I used to drill my upper oiling holes myself and peen the lower one closed as well. Then Polish them. Then I would take them to the shop and have the piston pin holes bored. I would have them balance them as well. $10-$12 /rod for boring and I think it was 1 - 2 hours labor to balance them. All in all <$150.00 for the machine shop