HybridZ

Wheel wells, paint, undercoat?

JMortensen

I'm getting close to wrapping up my under the car stuff on what will be exclusively a race car, been stitch welding and patching rust, etc. Now I have a bunch of exposed metal on the bottom of the car, and I'm particularly worried about the wheel wells. In the front the paint was largely stripped off the inside of the wells. In the rear the factory tar stuff held up much better, but I stripped a lot of that out to stitch weld the seams, so now that area is unprotected.

I have Zero Rust and I plan to shoot the underside of the car with that, inside all the frame rails, etc. The problem I think is that the gravel and rubber that is sure to be flinging around in there might chip the Zero Rust right off. When this is done the car will either have all the rust treated or removed. I just don't want to have more rust issues down the line.

Is undercoating the answer? I've always had a bad impression of undercoating in general, but maybe just in the wheel wells wouldn't be so bad. Is there a paint that is strong enough to use in the wheel wells that won't chip off?

I used 3M undercoating. It comes in spray cans and is easy to apply. It looks nice and seems to hold up very well, i love 3m products. The good thing about it is that it is VERY easy to touch up. Just wash it off (if your inclined) and respray it.

Its not the tar stuff like the original coatings. Its more like a thin rubbery paint, which can actually be painted. Anyway its the easiest and cheapest way to go i think.

this is what it looks like..

tcrod2.sized.jpg

can be found at autozone.

It is 3M Rubberized Undercoating. I can look up the exact part number when i get home tomarrow but here is a link to 3m website with a product they offer. they have changed hte can but I believe it is the same:

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/automotive_aftermarket/node_76RM01N3V9gs/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GSLPLPKL4Xge/bgel_94BGZ69V1Fbl/gvel_6DTWTJQPBBgl/theme_us_aad_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

I used Body Shutze (sp?, sounds like shuts).

It's also a 3M product. The body shops use it for this purpose. Sprays on with an old whiped out gun you would never try to spray real paint with (at least that was what I was loaned). It's black, rubbery, and kind of lumpy. It sticks to everything and has held up very well. I also sprayed my fuel tank with it. The lumpyness covers up any imperfections like welded in plates for rust repair and makes it look "factory" again.

Guest SouthGaZX

i also used bedliner.. not herculiner but still it did a great job... looks good too... i dabbed it all on with a large brush.. 2-3 coats it gives it a bumpy gritty look... but covers REALLY well also.. if u want you can brush it all on then when it begins to get a little tacky dab over it all... will still give it that gritty look... kinda like the spray paint that looks and feels like rock..

I hear you John, but with all the crap I'm taking out of the car I think I can afford a couple lbs of paint or undercoating especially if it will keep the car from rusting. I guess I'm a little sensitive on the rust issue because I had a shop paint this car and the rust was coming up within 2 years.

I prepped with about a thousand grinding pads,a cheap sand blaster that hooks up to my compressor for the corners and crevices,Naval jelly,two coats of Rust Bullet,brushable seam sealer,and three coats of Herculiner.Anywhere I used this method is totally sealed from elements,is tough as nails,and easily touched up.A time eating amount of work,but turned out awesome,IMO.I live in the Chicago area,so the weather can get pretty nasty once in a while,and after spending hours in clouds of rust dust,the last thing I want to see is rust formation.Wear a respirator,because those products are pretty friggin' toxic,especially the polyurethane Herculiner.Strong stuff.And whatever you do don't get it on your hands........:eek:

Try this deal out. I have purchased several of these 'kits' from them. Even cheaper than Walmart, and the material is similar to all of the other options for do-it-yourself bedliners. I used it on a truck tool box, to seal the counters before cement backerboard on an outdoor kitchen, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COMPLETE-TRUCK-BED-LINER-SYSTEM_W0QQitemZ4607476672QQcategoryZ63702QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Try this deal out. I have purchased several of these 'kits' from them. Even cheaper than Walmart' date=' and the material is similar to all of the other options for do-it-yourself bedliners. I used it on a truck tool box, to seal the counters before cement backerboard on an outdoor kitchen, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COMPLETE-TRUCK-BED-LINER-SYSTEM_W0QQitemZ4607476672QQcategoryZ63702QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/quote']

Thats a good deal!

Guest SouthGaZX

that is the namebrand i purchased from wal-mart... it cost more on ebay than from wal-mart if you include shipping.. well south georgia wal-marts carry that brand.. not sure if they ALL do.. by the way.. that roll on kit isnt worth a crap... just get a big cheap paint brush.. lol

It is my understanding that the roller kit is merely for 'texturing'. I slather it on with chip brushes (Harbor Freight), then run the roller over it as it tacks up for texturing (when that finish is desired).

I definitely would not use the roller to get the material from the tray onto the surface.....

It is 3M Rubberized Undercoating. I can look up the exact part number when i get home tomarrow but here is a link to 3m website with a product they offer. they have changed hte can but I believe it is the same:

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/automotive_aftermarket/node_76RM01N3V9gs/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GSLPLPKL4Xge/bgel_94BGZ69V1Fbl/gvel_6DTWTJQPBBgl/theme_us_aad_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

240hoke

That is one very NICE looking car you have there! I just love the stance of it! Good work.