HybridZ

My mom might buy an RX8!

80LS1T

Yeah my mom called me up today and said that she wanted me to come with her to look at the Mazda 3's. So I went with her to the dealership. Once there she quickly realized that the Mazda 3 wasnt "as good looking as it was in the pictures". Then she saw the Mazda 6's and kinda liked them. I jokingly told her she should get the RX8. She looked at it and said "yeah I really like the looks of it but I really dont need a sports car..." So we test drove the 6 but she didnt really like it. When we got back I said we should just drive the RX8 just for the fun of it.... well about 5 minutes down the road and she was in love with it! I couldnt believe it! I got to drive it too and although the HP/TQ wasnt like a V8 but it was deffinetly fun to drive and not to mention its absolutly a stunning car to look at!

I am doing some research from actual owners over on RX8club.com but at this point I think its going to take a mircale for her not to buy it! She just loves it! I'll be posting pics if she does buy it!

Guy

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

My freind worked for Donald Craig Mazda in Mooresville for a year and he said the RX8's WERE ALWAYS in the service department!!

Tell her to try a new Honda Civic SI or Subaru WRX.

The RX8 BLOWS.......literally!! The motors have blown up with very little miles and they leak oil as well.

STAY AWAY!!! You have been warned!!!

i like them lol.. got to drive a few and even a greddy turbo'ed one.

awesome cars i think.

they do tend to break down alot for a new car though.

oil leaks are common, and soooooooooooo stay away from the automatic ones.

i would look into G35 coupe or a WRX/Evo before getting a RX8.

now if i can just find a RX8 with no drivetrain for a good price... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

mike

Yeah I've been reading online at www.rx8club.com and have basically found all the points that you guys have said. I too am concerned with the reliability and upkeep of a car like this. The car was a blast to drive but I have a feeling that shes going to get it and then realize how much effort it takes to upkeep it. I am going to try an talk her out of it and see what else is out there...

She doesnt like the WRX, neither do I for that matter. I think its just plain ol' ugly! LOL

Maybe I can talk her into taking a ride in a 350Z.....:twisted:

Guest bastaad525

I have heard some bad things about them reliability wise.

They apparently use up oil at a very quick rate and lazy owners who dont want to check the oil regularly are probably gonna have issues.

I was thinking of buying one for my wife, I love the way they look and know they handle great, she is in LOVE with them, so then I went and hung around some rx8 boards just reading and seems a disproportionately high number of people were having problems. The Mazda 3 looks like a great bet though and right now my wife is between one of those or the new Civic Si.

Having one in the shop now I can say that the RX8 has the best OEM suspension I have ever seen and measured. Better then the E36 M3 which was my previous favorite. They are also the car to beat in SCCA's Solo2 B Stock class.

I've also spent a little time working with a multi-car SCCA T3 RX8 race team. For road racing the biggest weak point is the transmission, specifically the 2nd and 3rd gear synchros. I was told that the trans in the RX8 is the same as in the S2K (made by Aisin) and both have simialr problems.

The engines have been remarkably reliable on the track with the attention paid to it by a top notch race team. The RX8 is not a vehicular appliance and requires attention by the owner.

The RX8 is not a vehicular appliance and requires attention by the owner.

YES! that is exactly true. its an enthusiasts car. my sister has one and I love it! its a great handling car and the engine really has a marvelous feel to it. she has had one problem with it though... you cannot just start the car and then move it out of the driveway to shut it down without it getting up to temperature. if you do this the car will not start again until you change out the spark plugs....they are not easy to get too. milage has been...not so good....but then again my sister and I have lead feet....its a sporty car and honestly i have a hard time driving it like a grandma...i think if i could take it easier I would have had better results

Yeah I talked to my mom last night about all the "downfalls" of it and she isnt going to get it now. It would be too much work for a daily driver for her.

She's not sure what she wants now. I told her to take a ride in a 350Z but she said she doent like it because it doesnt have a backseat. Now she's swinging back towards the Toyota Hybrid car....:-(

Guy

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Oh geez!!

Talk her out of that one!! Man when those battery packs go bad people are gonna be crying!! I've heard they could cost $5,000 to replace and also unless she drives mainly in the city below 40 mph she won't get any better milage than with a regular Corolla or Civic. Get her to drive the G35 as others here have already suggested!!

I called her today and told her about the G35 but she has only seen a pic of the sedan. I like it(coupe), it looks like a "brother" of the 350Z. Its just has more creature comforts and a backseat! Thats what my mom needs! Now you would think if I can talk her into an RX8 I could talk her into the G35!

Guy

i like the way you think!

im just like you...

my whole family lol only 3 of us but still all have kinda cool cars... except my mom!

dad- Z06

me- Z's and etc

mom-...............corrolla S! hahaha

she called me yesterday and said "i really like corvairs, i use to have one think you can find me one and fix it up".. now im not the biggest fan of those cars but i said sure.

look in my other thread with some pics of the corvair at my shop, might just be mine soon so i can be hers later on.

or what im really trying to do is get her a datsun 510 wagon or sedan and fix it up so she can have a nice little older car and yet still bring customers and etc around town.

i think a 300rwhp KA24DET 4 door 510 with a/c, leather, sound system, and all the fixings would be badass!!

hope ur mom gets that G35 coupe!

mike

Yeah she always brings up her story about how she had a MGB convertible and how much fun it was to drive. She always tells me that she got it up too +100mph on the highway. Now a days though she doesn't want to know how fast her car goes but she does enjoy nice rides through the local winding roads.

She has been driving around in a 94' Olds 88 for the past few years and now I think she wants something that's more fun to drive. She keeps talking about that stupid Toyota Hybrid though!:banghead: I think deep down though she wants a fun car to drive that gets ok mileage. The RX8 only gets 20mpg if your babying it! She needs something that will get mid to high 20's at least on the highways. The G35 seems to fit that bill! No to mention is like a luxury sports car!

I am going to see her tomorrow(its her B-Day) and I will be trying to get her to at least look at/test drive the G35. She doesn't really want to spend $35K on a car but I figure we can find a used one for under $30K pretty easy.

I really wanted that RX8 to be in the family but it was just too impractical for her. I was having dreams of it 10 years from now...blow drivetrain....."oh here you go Guy you can have my old car"...."ok mom" ......now what V8 can I stuff in there....:twisted:

Guy

Have you guys seen thoes $280,000 RX-8's that Mazdaspeed has made? They're like complete carbon fiber race ready equipped with a 20B, Obviously this isn't the same topic, but it is realted.

I also found this interesting article about the RX-8 vs. 350Z http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=39&article_id=1404