HybridZ

402 Ls1

wow, 500whp+ all motor, unbelievable

Too much for me, i got my lt1 with 4 speed tranny for $1100. Engine was already rebuild 30 over, lt4 hotcam package with rockers, ecu, wiring harness....

Sold the tranny for $500

Picked up a t56 for $800.

You can say I did pretty well, this motor as it sits should be at about 310whp or so. Once its all running and well, i will pull the heads in favor of some afr cnc'd 190's, and cc306 cam for about 370-380whp tuned.

On top of that will be a 100 shot of giggle gas.

MTI just Dyno'ed a Pewter 99 FRC C5 to 0ver 480Wheel HP. It was a 402 stroker short block with a set of their heads, long tune headers, fast intake, and other goodies. It had a huge writeup in Vette Magazine either the December or January edition.

These 402s are the rage now on all the Fbody and Vette boards. For the money, you can't beat them. I started my LS1 build in January 2004, so these weren't out at the time... Had I waited, I'd have gone the 402 Stroker route. You pretty much can't NOT get 400HP at the wheels, even with choked down factory cast manifolds and restrictive exhausts! :2thumbs:

But the down side is the cost... I've not seen a 402 stroker Shortblock go for less than $4500... :shock:

I totalled all my motor receipts and Even with the changes in exhaust and mufflers, I still have less than $6000 in mine.

Mike :cool:

Uh, be careful with LG's posts. Remember, LOU is marketing. There has been some serious debate on the various boards about his claimed numbers AND his dyno accuracies. Also he's suffered a lot of the same problems others have with their cam/ valve geometry. There's any number of threads about valve spring breakage with a lot of these (Not only Lou's) cam packages!

There's also a HUGE mess going on right now over on LS1Tech between a buyer and SLP over a motor with 900 miles on it that grenaded.

There are many ways to get 500WHP out of a LS based motor. I personally believe that the 402 Stroker will get you there with more efficiency and less stress on the parts involved. There simply is NO replacement for displacement!

Mike :cool:

I was able to build my 402 short block for $3000. I bought the block and stroker kit and then put it together. I love the power of the 402 I was able to make 507rwhp with a set of 5.3 heads.

If I had to build a new motor I would wait for the 6.2 block and then make a 416.