HybridZ

Should I sell my SR20DET motor 240Z?

s5fc3s

How much cash should I get for my SR20 + 240Z  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How much cash should I get for my SR20 + 240Z

• Less than 10K (pessimists, low ballers, and the like)
    • Between 10-12K
    • Between 12-14K
    • Between 14-16K
    • Between 16-18K
    • Between 18-20K

Guys,

I've been looking to trade my SR20 powered 240Z for a couple months.

I've gotten A LOT of interesting offers for trades, but nothing that both parties was 100% thrilled about. The problem being, when we each looked back at personal involvement in our cars, we found ourselves unable to pull the trigger. It's weird that we can be so emotionally attached to our cars.

But I am bored of this project, since I know how to complete it now.

All it is at this point is details and re-doing perfectly a few things that we did just to get them done; thing like: finishing up the suspension, cleaning up the wiring, installing the badges, zg flares, side mirrors, a final repaint, etc.

It was more fun when I hatched the idea 4 years ago, and began trying to get it together... Looking for a no rust, clean title Z, looking for the parts, etc.

So maybe I should sell it on ebay or something. My question is, realistically, knowing I put in almost 30K so far, what should I take for it in CASH?

I am leaning towards no less than 15K or 50% of my money, and no dollars for my time, because if someone comes to me with 15K in cash, I will likely take the money and think of something new to do with that money: like buy a shiny new R6.

Please be realistic, and if you like, please explain your logic, and why you chose the number you came up with. A reason like:

"Because I don't have 15K"

would obviously be a little silly.

I put up a poll. Based on the results, I would consider putting it up on ebay. Thanks for all the input guys.

BTW: The ad is here:

http://classifieds.hybridz.org/showproduct.php?product=1670

I'm not familiar with your Z. That said, If the car is as clean as Pete Paraska's Zcar (http://www.alteredz.com), then shoot for the sky. If the car doesn't look show quality, if the wiring is cobbled together, and if things look much less than professional, you'll probably be low balled. Be prepared for anything if the car isn't pristine and the paint/body/interior/mechanicals aren't top shelf.

*** Just saw your link you posted while I was responding. Don't know man... It's a very clean car for sure. But there are somethings that should still be done, like the coil overs and other things you list in your "want to finish".

Good trade ideas though. :2thumbs:

Mike

A cars worth is the price someone is willing to pay for it at that particular point in time.

I wish you luck trying to find a buyer who is willing to pay what you think your car is worth. I'm not saying its not worth your asking price but for me 15K is a little out of the budget. Then again I think it is a great car. I would trade you my R6 for it but I already got a Z icon12.gif.

I wish you luck and I'll let someone I know who is looking for an SR20 Z to look you up.icon7.gif

How very true:

A cars worth is the price someone is willing to pay for it at that particular point in time.

I wish you luck trying to find a buyer who is willing to pay what you think your car is worth. I'm not saying its not worth your asking price but for me 15K is a little out of the budget. Then again I think it is a great car. I would trade you my R6 for it but I already got a Z icon12.gif.

I wish you luck and I'll let someone I know who is looking for an SR20 Z to look you up.icon7.gif

When I began this project, I had less work commitments, spent less time traveling, more time tinkering, and had a lot more space.

Now, I spend way too much time on the road, work way more hours, would rather park a different car indoors, and have re-discovered my love of lanesplitting and all things on 2-wheels.

I am still open to trades, ideally finding a guy who has both a 600 and 1000 bike, and wants to trade me straight up. However, I was debating the possibility of an outright sale, and wondered what everyone thought about it...

With that said,

If WolF, or anyone else for that matter, is able to find me a buyer and help make a deal, a finder's fee (in cash of course) will be in order, so please keep me in mind.

I am just bored of having a project. I want something pre-assembled next time.

Thanks

Guest bastaad525

yeah really... hell I've put a lot of money into mine and I can't seem to get half of my money back for it, also not even counting all of my own hours put into it.

funny story... a while ago I blew my head gasket. This was just 100% stock L28ET with boost upped to 10psi. Turns out someone removed the head then reinstalled it without one of the alignment dowels. At the time I didn't know that though, and I'd had so many problems with the turbo swap I just decided to say screw it and sell it.

I set the asking price at $3500 and I had a TON of offers by phone and email on that car. So much so that I felt stupid... I mean... damn if so many guys want to pay that much for a broken car it must be a hell of a car and I'm stupid to get rid of it.

Now 2 years later, I've added quite a bit to the car, rebuilt the motor top to bottom, added an I/C, RRFPR, making 40 more hp than it was back then.

I can't even get $500 more for it than I asked back then when the car was broken. $4000. The swap alone cost me more than that much. I'm into this car for about $9000 now when I sit and tally it.

It really is as was said above... a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it at the time you want to sell. And this seems to be a bad time to sell, since a lot of people haven't been able to sell their Z's lately.

Good luck to you anyways, but yeah I wouldn't count on anyone paying $15k... not that it's not worth it.

Hmm, I would say about 10K, but then again there was a very clean arizona car, he tried 10k didnt sell, had many extras as well, he finally dropped it to 7k and thats what it sold for.

That being said you can buy a clean 240Z shell fro about 2k, easily, Vildinia Motorsports will do the swap, all mounts with motor transmission and eletrical, including aftermarket stand alone, tuning, 3 inch exhaust, upgraded fuel pump, ic and plumbing, basically swap and drive away for I think the quote was about 7800.

So right there you are at 9800.

So you can go from there as to what you would get for your car.

Ive seen several clean running Z's in southern califronia for about 1800-2600 plust the 7500-7800 for the swap and out the door driving.

Take it from there.

You could get one done yoursefl for about 10k, and if you have a Z already its going to cost no more the 8k.

Looking at your car though and how VERY clean it is and with other modifications, I would say you could pull in the 10-12k range if you were to have it up and running.

Unless its running, driveable car then its still a "project." If you get 25 cents on the dollar for a "project" you should be very grateful. I suggest you spend the time and effort completing the work and drive it for about 1,000 miles to sort things out. That will be something you can ask top dollar for.

Guest bastaad525
Unless its running, driveable car then its still a "project." If you get 25 cents on the dollar for a "project" you should be very grateful. I suggest you spend the time and effort completing the work and drive it for about 1,000 miles to sort things out. That will be something you can ask top dollar for.

that's why my case was so funny.... the first time I tried to sell my car wasn't even running. Hell the block or head coulda been cracked for all I knew... I had no way to know for sure it was 'just' a blown headgasket. Yet I had at least 10 offers of $3500.

Now it's running, starts right up, drives just fine, has been dyno tuned and is really well sorted. Like any old car it could definately still USE a few things, like new bushings, but I consider it 'project finished'. I can't even get $500 more for it even with the added I/C, custom piping and fuel mods. Crazy...

sorry, i shoulda mentioned.. 92 240sx s13.. completed blacktop srswap, nismo 2way lsd, tein he coilovers, tension rods, tie rods, hks fmic, z32 full brakes front and rear,apexi s-afc, greddy profec b spec II boost controller, stainless manifold,downpipe, 3inch exhuast,solid motor mounts,raybrig headlights, jdm 180sx type x tails, real silvia s14 seats etc..

100_0914.jpg

i should have it painted white soon. i feel its value is simular, set up 240sx on ebay/internet is usually around 10k.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I will use your input to set the reserve price when I put the car on ebay at some point in the next week or so. I think that ebay will get a whole new set of eyes on my car, and that might not be a bad thing.

I never thought I would get so bored of this project, but I am definitely bored. It was more fun when fewer people had considered the notion. Now, it's all kind of been there, done that, and there are actually places to go that specialize in this kind of thing, so it takes part of the fun out of it for me.

As for anyone interested in trades, the offer is still out there. I really would prefer a trade for something interesting.

As for an outright sale, send me an email, and maybe we can work something out. If you know anyone who might want to buy this, let me know. I'd be happy to send you a finder's fee.

email me at: s5fc3s@yahoo.com

Thanks everyone for your input.