HybridZ

Speed Shop Thaggard Oil Pan

cheftrd

Pickup.jpg

This is a fuzzy shot of the pickup. The "bell" is the original RB26 pickup. You can also see the factory windage trays.

SDSHall.jpg

Front of the pan with SDS hall sensor and mount.

Rightside.jpg

Right side of pan.

Leftside.jpg

Left side of pan.

I didn't take pictures of the baffeling. There's also a trap-door I installed to keep oil in the back of the pan on deceleration. All of the bolt holes line up and the factory windage trays fit with no problem. You NEED those windage trays if you are going to turn this engine. They won't fit with the RB20 steel pan.

Thagard has 1 "g" :)

I see you made a slight mod to the front of the pan. Did your mounts move the engine too far forward or was this used in a different car? The pan design was mocked using Wong's cnc mounts. It looks like without the mod it would have been close. I am glad to see it has worked out for you.

BTW, I sent you an e-mail the other day. Also, I would like to discuss a GT replacement for the stock turbochargers with you. It will save a lot of money over the HKS route.

Nice work!

Would it be a good idea to put in some kind of support brace on the tube? Maybe a piece of flat stock welded to the tube' date=' and then bolted on the engine useing one of the windage tray bolts.[/quote']

If you look closely, you'll see he used the oem portion of the factory pick up's brace to hold everything in place. Its the boomarang looking thingie.... :D

If you look closely, you'll see he used the oem portion of the factory pick up's brace to hold everything in place. Its the boomarang looking thingie.... :D

I see it now. That'll teach me not to use my glasses.

What type of tubing should I use to fab this up for my swap?

This is a fuzzy shot of the pickup. The "bell" is the original RB26 pickup. You can also see the factory windage trays.

Thanks for the photo of the pickup. I will post as well as that wont be too far off for me. I will be using the standard steel rear bowl sump as listed on the site. Will there be some problem with the windage trays from mu RB26 - is that what you are saying?

If you use the factory Z31 steel oil pan, the windage trays will not fit. Maybe the rear one will. but the front one deffinately won't.

What have others done about this as everyone recommends using this sump? Without the windage tray will the oil splash round everywhere?

Have others made an alternate tray?

• 1 year later...

This is an old thread so I'm not sure if anyone visits still. I'm ready to begin welding up my aluminum oil pan based on the top lip of the stock RB26 oil pan. I've got several questions. Why do all of the custom pans jut out where the oil pickup mounts but come back in to the back of the pan, instead of continuing to the back with a wider profile? Is it a matter of more space for the exhaust? What is the oil capacity of the Thagard Speedshop pan?

I think I'm going to use the RB26 pan as well if I can for the RB30. I gotta check it out, but I want to use the top lip because the pan itself is pretty damn stout.

Should hold the bottom together that little bit more =)

Also, question for RIPSNZ:

Do you guys flat-grind the main girdles on the RB30's to fit the windage trays like the RB26 girdles have? (those round cuts at the fastener head)