HybridZ

280zx half shalfs in a 240z

jonus079

Found some info with a search but not a definitive answer. I pulled the rear end out of a 280zx, not sure exactly what 280zx it was but I do know it was a r200 with 3.9 gears (from the markings on the ring). Any who, I have the entire rear end (diff half shafts etc) and was wandering if I could use the half shafts in my 240z. I know the r200 will fit. From what I have found it looks like the 280zx half shalfs are just a little too big. If this is true is there a way I could shorten them where the split is and much is it too big?

All of the half shafts are the same size, from R160 halfshafts in a 510 up to the 280ZX halfshafts. There is an issue with the driver's side halfshaft bottoming, and yes, you can shorten it to fix this problem. It's all been described before and I think it was our member 2126 who had actually done it and run the halfshafts. I tried to search for that thread a couple different ways and couldn't find it. I'm hoping someone else can locate it, cause I don't want to go thru the whole procedure again. Here's the short version though. Disassemble the halfshaft, cut 1/2 or 3/4" off the inner part of the shaft and either machine the end of the shaft to fit the ball retainer thing, or I was going to just weld it on. You'll need a saw that can cut the shaft. Best solution I've come up with is a band saw. I don't remember what 2126 said he used. I was ready to go on this mod then said screw it in ponied up $$$ for CVs. I'm 95% sure it was 2126 that had done the whole thing and had run his that way for years.

I may be misunderstanding this, but I'll try to help.

The U-jointed shafts should fit right in. These shafts bolt onto the Z companion flanges and the stub shaft. On the other hand, the ZXT CV jointed shafts are a different animal in than the longer ZXT companion flange must be used (on the 240Z - 25 splline- axles only) on the Z to allow them to be bolted in. With the longer companion flange comes the decreased shaft length requirement,

Hello!!! I just ran across this post. Yes, you need to shorten the left side 280ZX half shaft by 0.500". What I did was to disassemble the half shaft (DON"T LOOSE ANY PARTS, Cause they are no longer available). cleaned it up and sent the male splined end off to my machist and had him replicate the existing end of the shaft, only 0.500" shorter. My machinist said it took him less than 1/2 hour to complete the mod. When I got it back, I cleaned it, reassembled it, lubed it, and installed the boot. Has been working perfectly with no binding or over extension issues. The only issue you may run into is reusing the band clamp that retains the boot. However, these type clamps can be purchased and require a special tool to tention/clamp them. Hope this helps you guys.

man i alway have to do a little extra....first i get the 4 piston calipers and disc but have to wait for a space....then i get a rear end but have to get the half shafts machined...it never ends.

anyway how do the late 280z get around this problem as they come with r200's?

man i alway have to do a little extra....first i get the 4 piston calipers and disc but have to wait for a space....then i get a rear end but have to get the half shafts machined...it never ends.

anyway how do the late 280z get around this problem as they come with r200's?

Marcus,

Just to give you some info, the rear you have is from a 1982 280zx.

I am sure I have some extra 240Z halfshafts around here somewhere. If not, I am about to do the Q45 R200 swap so the halfshafts in my 240Z will be available soon.

Call me when you get back in town.

WOW, what good info!

I have an 81 and 82 ZX parts cars I was planning on using for drivetrain parts. That's a breath of fresh air to find that I CAN, in fact, use the half-shafts.

Not that I really needed, them. I have two 2'X2 1/2' wood crates of half shafts, if anyone is interested.

All I need now is the R200 mustache bar....

Marcus' date='

Just to give you some info, the rear you have is from a 1982 280zx.

I am sure I have some extra 240Z halfshafts around here somewhere. If not, I am about to do the Q45 R200 swap so the halfshafts in my 240Z will be available soon.

Call me when you get back in town.[/quote']

sweet ill let you know when i get back if i cant find a machine shop to machine the half shafts i have. cant wait until this semester is over so i can really start tearing into my z.

Despite what I originally thought (and was told) the 280Z chassis probably isn't any wider. The bottoming issue with the halfshafts only occurs when the car is lower significantly (3" or more.)

So John...are indicating that the binding issue is at full extension (not compression) of the drivers side half shaft, on a 3" or lower Z?