HybridZ

I'm converting...

After riding in my friends badass 327 powered 240z, I'm going to drop a 327+ into my 280z -- just sounds fun...

I know I would need the mounts and book from JTR -- but what about driveline/rearend changes I would need...

I'm not looking for a complete list of what I'd need but it would be nice :)

Thanks,

edit: before this is locked, I am searching while waiting for replys.

1.) JTR manual is needed

2.) Automatic Transmission is cheaper than the manual (I can't drive a stick anyways)

3.) R200/R230 LSD is preferred.

Does that sound about right?

Goal HP is 650+.

Goal Weight to HP ratio: 4.5:1

Do the JTR engine/tranny mounts need to be welded on, or just bolted?

1.) JTR manual is needed

2.) Automatic Transmission is cheaper than the manual (I can't drive a stick anyways)

3.) R200/R230 LSD is preferred.

Does that sound about right?

Goal HP is 650+.

Goal Weight to HP ratio: 4.5:1

Do the JTR engine/tranny mounts need to be welded on' date=' or just bolted?[/quote']

Why do you need 650+ HP? You will not only need the R230 but you will need a full cage with that much power and it wont be coming out of a 327 unless you want to add force induction!

I don't need it... I'd like it -- in reality I'd like 450 - 550 tops. .. a 10 - 11 second car.

edit: I might be using dual VNT turbos.

What's your budget? By reading your posts' date=' at least from where I'm standing, you saw something cool and want to imitate, which is whole-heartedly supported here, but you are putting the cart before the horse.

Or at least trying to blow your friend out of the water, lol.

Either way get the motor, then get it in the car, [i']then[/i] worry about phenominal cosmic power. For the money and power, especially if you want to out-do your friend, start with a solid 350.

BINGO... 9K hit it on the nose! Get the motor into the car and running first... That task will be big enough for starters... Don't get me wrong... It's very do-able. Just a pretty decent task in and of itself! :2thumbs:

You'd be surprised at how many of our friends get blown out of the water with less than 400WHP! :lmao:

Mike

FYI: My 365 rwhp/430 rwtq in my 2650 lb. 240Z goes around 6.90 in the 1/8th and my guess is 10.90's in the 1/4. Heck I am even running a hp pig 700r4 tranny to boot.

You get 500 to the wheels and you will have a freakin monster on your hands. My car is not all that fast compared to some but will blow the doors off most cars on the road and it's naturally asperated. Oh yeah, runs on 93 octane.

Mike

You will get as many answers to "which engine" as the number of people you ask.

I have a stock LT1/T56 becasue I wanted something that would work flawlessly from day one as it came from the factory. All I would do differently if I started now would be to pick an LS motor.

Mike

Guest tony78_280z
BINGO... 9K hit it on the nose! Get the motor into the car and running first... That task will be big enough for starters... Don't get me wrong... It's very do-able. Just a pretty decent task in and of itself!
:iagree:

I just replaced my 305 with a 350 (My Zs third motor). It was so much easier to drop a motor in the second time. The first original drop is 80% of the challenge, getting it to run right is the other 20%. Then once it's running good, work on the other power adders (or an even bigger displacement motor). Get it in ASAP. So you can say "I have a sbc Z car, but it still needs some fine tuning, and when that is done I'm gonna do X, Y & Z mods". Not "I have all these parts for a realy bad *** sbc Z car with X, Y & Z mods, but I still gotta put it all together and get the motor in."

Cash isn't a big deal, but cheaper is nice. I'll have about 600 a month, plus the 3000K I'm getting in 2 months..

$3000K as in $3,000,000? or did you just mean $3k? Cause yeah 650HP would deffinetely be doable with $3 Mil! LOL

First off are you a carb or EFI guy? If EFI dont bother with with anything other than the LSx motors. Power potential is huge and parts for them are only getting cheaper. If your going with a Gen 1 SBC, get a 2 bolt main and have the block spayed for 4 bolt mains. This is much stronger than a factory 4 bolt main and with the power you want you'll need the extra support. As for which years to look for, I believe there are certain blocks to look for that have higher "nickle" content. You wont really need to worry about the rest of the motor if your going for big numbers because you wont be keeping it stock. So I would just look for a good 350 block to start with.

Guy

I have a 412 cu inch for you. I ran it a couple of times in my brothers Z-car, it did 6.40's in the 1/8 mile. It is just sitting around waiting for me to get started back on my Monte Carlo. It is complete and ran good. Has forged 10.1 pistons etc. There are some photo's posted on my website with the engine in the Z-car at that time. Go to www.jnjdragracing.com.

Oh this is a 60 over 400, 4 bolt main engine, the engine temp would run around 180 on the street with a griffian radiator, I had 4:30 gear ration in the Monte Carlo and know problems driveing on the street, oh it ran 6.90's in the Monte Carlo with 125 shot of NOS, 7.20's on HP. This was a 3400 lb car.

Cash isn't a big deal, but cheaper is nice. I'll have about 600 a month, plus the 3000K I'm getting in 2 months..

That ought to get you the longblock worked out for your 500hp monster.

I would like to recommend a 350 to start, then you could go 383 in two shakes of a lambs tail. Why sell yourself short from the beginning?

Good luck.