HybridZ

sbc storage question

i had a SBC motor built for my 1971 240z. i had hoped to have the car prepped for the install prior to the motor being delivered. well i contracted a disease called "whileimatititis". what started out as a simple stub axel swap turned into a 4 disc brake and 5 lug conversion, and then i had to swap out the diff for an R200. it gets worse. i found a little rust here and there and now i have striped everything from the car and i am in the process of building a rotisserie. i am told that i have a severe form of "whileimatititis"back to my question. what do i need to do to the motor while it sits in the corner of my garage under a blanket, waiting for me to give it life... it has sat there for the last 6 months and could be there another six months while i wait for a cure. this motor is new and has no fluids in it. should i put oil in it and turn the oil pump with a drill to spread the oil around the motor? any help would be appreciated.

If you have adequette lube on the bearings I would spin it a 1/4 inch. Than as the months go by spin it another 1/4 inch. This way it will not stay on the main bearings in the same spot for a year. If not sure about lubo on the bearings etc. Then pour in some oil. prime the oil pump. Place the dist back in the motor then spin it a 1/4 inch each month or so. This is what I do when I have an engine just sitting and have not had any issues.

Ive soaked a partly assembled engine in MARVEL MYSTERY OIL and sprayed it down on the external surfaces with LPS #3, then, filled it with a case of clean new oil, I stored it inside several plastic bags one inside the other in layers, all tightly taped with duct tape, then placed it in a large plastic box for over 10 years, and it came out just fine!(no rust, and in great condition)

ITS MOISTURE and exposure to air,thats the potential problem!

KEEP the engine AIR TIGHT /MOISTURE free and stable in temp and it should be fine!

BTW, starting the ENGINE like that without pre-lubeing the engine after it sits for several weeks/months/years is causing some minor wear! simply because much of the oil has drained away from the surfaces its meant to protect, but I would not be very worried about it! ,

IF it was my engine Id add a case of oil to the pan to prevent moisture and keep the internals like the cam and crank covered, THE OIL, acts like a moisture barrier, its very cheap insurance,then just pull the plugs, shoot a few squirts of marvel mystery oil into each cylinder, replace the plugs finger tight and let it sit untill its installed in the car, then drain it/refill and install new plugs at that point

look the case of cheap new oil costs like $20, its very cheap insurance to prevent moisture and rust internally while the engine sits in the garage for months/years

"Boat dealers have a product called "fogging oil". which is specifically designed for cylinder protection during the off season. "

yeah, its a good product,but to use it correctly you need to run the engine up to operating temp before squirting some into the intake, untill the exhaust starts belching smoky oil clouds and shutting the engine OFF while its still hot, something thats difficult to do while the engines NOT installed, its far easier to just pull the plugs and squirt a couple tablespoons worth of MARVEL MYSTERY OIL into each cylinder and spin the engine over by hand while the engines out of the car, then re-install the plugs finger tight, and oil and bag/seal it up

Grumpyvette, you are the man... :mrgreen:

My trick is to pull the oil pan and pack the oil pump with petroleum jelly and pour oil though the galleries until it backs up. It requires a little less oil than a case...

Marvel Mystery Oil is one of the great automotive inventions of all time. I am always finding uses for a high surface tension, premium quality oil.

I also use Birchwood Casey 'Sheath' gun oil on the cylinders. This polar oil eliminates any chance of rust or oxidation, and is fairly inexpensive for what it is...

Always, always, bag the motor to keep moisture out.... Always.

Good thread...

Mike

"yeah, its a good product,but to use it correctly you need to run the engine up to operating temp before squirting some into the intake, untill the exhaust starts belching smoky oil clouds and shutting the engine OFF while its still hot, something thats difficult to do while the engines NOT installed,"

Interesting... not "fog a little in each cylinder', but a "kill a few mosquitos" type fog. :icon46: