HybridZ

351 vs 4.6 vs 5.4

nemesis500548

All the DOHC 4.6s are Aluminum Block Except for the 03+ Cobra Motor.

Junkyard parts are not skimping you will just want to build the motor ( rods and pistons ) before making any serious horsepower. With stock 6 bolt mains and a stock crank these motors can make well over 1000whp before hurting anything engine related. A big step up from the old 5 liter stuff.

As far as the computer goes if you do get an EEC-V swap 96 and newer. I can do the Computer Tuning for you remotely - Can email you files back and forth.

And for it fitting - Not sure I was going to try it but I came a cross a crackhead deal on an LS1 so thats what I'm working with now. If it is a tight fit you could always tube the front end.. haha.

are you able to bypass the PATS system?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice. There is a guy locally that switched from ECC-V because he couldnt find anyone who could bypass the PATS system. And the local dealerships wouldnt touch it.

Damn thats really unfortunate - The EEC-V system is sooo much better than the older EEC-IV. The sole ability to be able to datalog the newer system is a selling point to never even considering stepping backwards.

Tell him if he wants to convert back I can help him out or its the company that I work for Actually. If he still has a OBD-II port I can set him up with a datalogg and a way to flash the vehicle with aftermarket files that can be setup to support upwards of 800whp

351w is the only motor to consider.i work as a ford tech.the late model ohc motors are junk compared to a 351w.example of ohc motor junk-connecting rods made of powdered metal.if you had yout heart set on a ohc motor i would get a motor from a lincoln navigator-5.4 liter with dohc heads.a set of cams and a aftermarkit efi system and it will make some hp.the ohc motors are huge in size because 1/2 of the motor is the heads.the 351w has as much aftermarket support as a sbc.all of the parts are in summit catalog.

I would not say they are junk what-so-ever. That little 4.6 (not so little in physical size) makes 500RWHP in my parent's Cobra without ever touching anything below the intake manifold. Can do even better with a more efficient blower (i.e. twin screw). The one problem that you are going to find with the modular motors is the actual size. A 4 cam 4.6L is going to be hard to fit, let alone the 5.4L with its taller deck size. You may want to look at the 3 valve 4.6L in the new Mustang GTs. Build the block and stick an intercooled twin screw supercharger on for ~500WHP. If you can somehow get all the electronics in the Z, I would use the stock ECU with the Pro Racer Package from SCT. They work extremely well once dialed in.

i wouldnt reccomend a 5.4 sohc engine, they like to blow the spark plugs out, and the helicoil method wont work with this particular engine, so a new head is like 1300 or so, i know i wouldnt want to shell out 1300 everytime a sprk plug gets blown out

They have new, revised heads out (yet again and at least for the 4 valve Cobra) that uses 9 to 11 threads of engagement on the spark plug rather than 4 from the last one. This is also helping to cure overly high EGTs, and keeping the ground strap on the spark plugs cool to prevent pinging.

I would use the stock ECU with the Pro Racer Package from SCT. They work extremely well once dialed in.

Pro Racer Package - Yes!

Stock ECU - No!

The 05+ Mustang ECU is sooo indepth it would be too difficult to swap into a project car, but I have seen some use the 05+ engine and step back a year with the computer and use a 04 or older computer.

The depths/layers of Electronic Throttle Control and Returnless Fuel Stystem and Toruqe Managment and and and.

Is too much to put into another car.

You are correct though the new 3valve engine is working very well for being fairly small and still producing big numbers. One recently in Michigan just put down 700+ hp built bottom end and a big blower on it.

There is no question reliable HP per Dollar the 351w is hands down the winner due to the fact that it has been in existence since the late 60`s. In 40 years the 4.6 or 5.4 will be cheap do build reliable power. You have to remember most of the performance parts are designed to be sold to racers [dirt,scca etc] Once they sell alot of cranks and rods and pistons they can make them cheaper because it becomes routine to make them. Someone mentioned shm blocks well in 10 years i would guess they would drop 50% in price.

I finnally got back to my project and I have my 383 w almost ready. A 454 is way to much for a stock block, and since you mentioned the kite factor it probably wont be worth the extra headachs for that little more power and since you dont care about 200 extra lbs build a big block. I though the windsor was alittle to cookie cutter for me so i decided to make a semi unique one 68' block has about 17 lbs more weld on the webbings so you get a true 150 hp rating over the later block. My friend is putting 1450hp through his 69 stock block in his funny car. I realize this is the exception and not the rule but the early 351 is very beefy. Then i bought a chp forged crank, rods [6 inch] and pistons. Im getting tfs wanna be heads same castings but cnc`d and 2/3rds the price 2.05/1.70 But instead of the holley 4barrel im using a trick flow efi intake, because im going to rev her to 7200 I`m getting the track heat. Also im plumbing a t-72 turbo. I love the maf injection because it really is like have a carb tuner all the time under your hood wrenching as you goose it. :) So i believe its not the base engine you use its the heads, fuel delivery and power adder that makes it for me. An injected/turbo 383/w is the perfect muscle/modern engine for me, it has the bark of the pushrod v8 and the whine of the turbo with the versitility of maf injection.

Chad

• 1 year later...
Guest bojo68
Damn thats really unfortunate - The EEC-V system is sooo much better than the older EEC-IV. The sole ability to be able to datalog the newer system is a selling point to never even considering stepping backwards.

Tell him if he wants to convert back I can help him out or its the company that I work for Actually. If he still has a OBD-II port I can set him up with a datalogg and a way to flash the vehicle with aftermarket files that can be setup to support upwards of 800whp

So what happens at 800hp? What's the cost of this? This sounds appealing to me.

Since this string started, I've finally assembled the 383 (stroked Windsor) bottom end, and am fabricating the headers at this time. I chose the 383 as a compromise between torque and reliability. It had the longest rod (6.250), which made me feel more comfortable with the RL/stroke ratio. Yeah, I could have gone with the bigger 427 kits, but I didn't like the ratio of those combinations. And going from a 289 CID to a 383 CID (2.87" to 3.75" stroke) in terms of torque increase will be more than this street car will ever be able to use. Studies and comparable parts on a dyno indicate a low 500 point for HP, and a very broad torque curve in excess of 500 lb/ft with no add-ons. I did have to place the pistons in a lathe to reduce the flat-top compression ratio to a more usable 10.3 to one.

AFR stipulates fly-cutting the valve reliefs for their 2.08 valves (AFR 205 heads), but I found that the Probe pistons did not require this (they are cut for adaquate clearance out to a 2.15 valve).

EDIT: changed the 2.75" stroke to 3.75" stroke

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Nemesis, if you want something reliable at 500hp (or a lot more), don't care about the money spent, and want something that the neighbor won't have in his project or in his yunk-worth lincoln, I would recommend you check with the guys next door in the RB Forums. Research on the RB26DETT. That's if you don't have your heart set on a Ford V8 of course.

it is a question of old school or modern. i am a ford tech the 4.6 5.4 6.8 modular motors are so reliable it is not even funny. unless some moron at the factory screws up the dont break or wear out. ive seen lots with over 200k on them no oil burning no rattles no leaks it is depressing for the heavy engine mechanics. also the bare heads for these motors are only around $300 from ford. the nice thing is 5.4s came with alum blocks in some expiditions and navigators most people dont know this but i have seen them at work. also the 4.6 in newer explorers is alum block and the aviator is a alum block dohc 4v. the 3v is a sohc eng and runs well coworker has a mstang with vortec/intercooler and tuner no other mods makes435hp at rear wheels. also whoever said it is to hard to convert new 3v elctronics dont know ♥♥♥♥ you need them to run the variable cam timing and there are plenty of tuners. bottomline 500hp with a mod motor would not be to hard and would fit have seen 4.6 4v in 240z was close but doable

Guest bojo68
it is a question of old school or modern. i am a ford tech the 4.6 5.4 6.8 modular motors are so reliable it is not even funny. unless some moron at the factory screws up the dont break or wear out. ive seen lots with over 200k on them no oil burning no rattles no leaks it is depressing for the heavy engine mechanics. also the bare heads for these motors are only around $300 from ford. the nice thing is 5.4s came with alum blocks in some expiditions and navigators most people dont know this but i have seen them at work. also the 4.6 in newer explorers is alum block and the aviator is a alum block dohc 4v. the 3v is a sohc eng and runs well coworker has a mstang with vortec/intercooler and tuner no other mods makes435hp at rear wheels. also whoever said it is to hard to convert new 3v elctronics dont know ♥♥♥♥ you need them to run the variable cam timing and there are plenty of tuners. bottomline 500hp with a mod motor would not be to hard and would fit have seen 4.6 4v in 240z was close but doable

Hey!:)

You sound like the kind of guy to ask if the new stuff has any kind of variable cam timing setup for a 4 cam? Me likes variable cam timing....:)

I'm thinking of doing and old mark with cobra or reground cams, and the new tranny's (6speed auto's) require the new computer system. Think it's possible that if a guy came up with variable cam timing an a 32v and a 6speed auto a new computer/harness could be used to combine it all?

Hey, Blue Oval. I have never heardof a 383 Ford. Can you fill me in? Is that a 351W block or an early model ford 289 or 302 block? The 2.75" stroke is interesting, did you mean 3.75"? That would make more sense to me. A 4.030" Bore with 3.75" stroke should make 383 cubes. That sounds beastly. All in all how much did the components cost? Does the late model HO block withstand that kind of punishment or are you stuck with the earlier models?

Hey, Blue Oval. I have never heardof a 383 Ford. Can you fill me in? Is that a 351W block or an early model ford 289 or 302 block? The 2.75" stroke is interesting, did you mean 3.75"? That would make more sense to me. A 4.030" Bore with 3.75" stroke should make 383 cubes. That sounds beastly. All in all how much did the components cost? Does the late model HO block withstand that kind of punishment or are you stuck with the earlier models?

I stand corrected on the stroke (and edited the previous posting). All the information I've researched points to even the later model (351W) blocks capable of handling mid 500 HP/torque figures without issue. The focal weakness was high revs with the stroker kits, and this was the primary reason for my use of a girdle (I couldn't tell if it was emperical evidence, or voodoo, but I installed one anyway). The kit itself was (I don't have the receipt in front of me) I believe about $1400 (Forged pistons, rings, H-beam rods, bearings, and steel crank.