HybridZ

Questions for members w/ adj. LCA's

I've got adjustable LCA's and adjustable T/C's.Question is,in regaurds to the stock LCA,the pivot point at the crossmember was offset towards the rear of the vehicle.When getting new spacer bushings for the heim,should I get one smaller,one larger to have the heim closer to the stock location?Or should I center the heim between the crossmember with two of the same sized spacer bushings,and adjust when I get closer to getting the car being on the ground?Material and measurements would also be handy.Aluminum?Steel?Any closup photos would be appreciated as well.Thanks!

I personally don't think it is going to matter. You're likely going to add caster to the mix, and I suppose you could use vairous thickness spacers to re-align that offset if you want. But those who tested and used my control arms never had issues with not getting the exact offset between them and the factory arms.

Mike

Yeah, I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference, but to be anal about it, I would use whatever sized spacers are needed to make the arm perpendicular to the centerline of the chassis. I say this because side loading forces will be focused on this arm into the crossmember, and any deviation other than as mentioned above will transfer some of these forces to the T/C rod. Will any small angles make a real difference? I doubt it.

i dont think this angle should make much of a difference either IMO. you will be adding caster more than likely. the only thing you would have to think about is if its an actually cheesy rubber bushing and you add this caster when the spacer bushing is leaning towards camber, then the bushing will wear out sooner. thats the only problem i could see.

I think Terry has the right answer if you really want to be anal. I know my arms point forwards quite a bit, and the guy who made my arms made the spacers the same thickness as stock. So if you wanted them perpendicular I'd make the front spacer shorter than stock. But it really doesn't make a difference IME.

I think Terry has the right answer if you really want to be anal. I know my arms point forwards quite a bit, and the guy who made my arms made the spacers the same thickness as stock. So if you wanted them perpendicular I'd make the front spacer shorter than stock. But it really doesn't make a difference IME.

It will effect steering, dive, RC, etc. How much I'm not really sure. I'm going to run a number of these scenarios on a generic Z car front end model to so we can have some actual numbers. Then we can put this to rest.

If you have things you want to see now would be a good time to make suggestions.

Cary

I'd like to see what effect raising the LCA pivot but not raising the TC pivot has. That's a common thing that I think effects dive quite a bit. Also the effect of the clevis type TC rod. Maybe analyze the JTR mod, moving the LCA pivot 3/4" up and 1/4" out and see what that does to bumpsteer and dive. That's all I can come up with right off the top...

This has me thinking about guys like me that have adjustable LCA's with stock TC rods. Extend the LCA to get more camber and you reduce caster and vice versa.

Makes me think this set-up is more harm than good and I should go out and buy a set of adjustable TC rods.

Seems the more I do to the front end the less I like the results. It tracked better and was more predictable before I started cutting and welding things.:-|

I agree with Mike, but in Dan's case if you remove all the bushings the car is definitely going to track worse. Bushings give compliance and that allows the suspension to move around without affecting the way the car is pointed. Take out the compliance and you'll feel every little bump in the road and the car will follow every little rut. It will be more predictable at 10/10ths with the roadracing type setup, but it won't be nearly as friendly driving around town.