HybridZ

Protective oils for hollow bits

Boy from Oz

I posted this in another thread a few days ago but got replies. I would really appreciate some informed comments.

I have just obtained a POR 15 brochure. It mentions an 'SW2 protective oil" something with properties similar to fish oil. I was wondering if anyone has used this to treat the inside of the two main channels of the floor pan, sills (rockers) or other hollow bits.

Also, are the channels hollow the full length? I was thinking of drilling into them from inside the car at several points and spraying a protective oil, then welding patches over the holes. Is there easier access? I also wondered what technique would ensure that the oil travelled along the inside of the channel.

The way to get at these things is like J said to go through the holes on the inside of the rocker, Then to go down from the holes in the doglegs (you'll have to remove the interior trim piece. Then use a wand like this: http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=10966&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=rust

If you have to drill holes, drill them in inconspicous areas then plug with these:http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=1110&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=1110

Based on my experience, you might also want to get inside the frame rails at the front and the back. I know you're in Oz, but you should be able to find something similar there I would think. One nice thing about the oil is it penetrates the rust, so if you hit a small corner of a rusty section it will wick up and into the rusty area... if Krown's advertising is to be believed...

The rails are hollow over the full length.

An even older trick was to use a combination of oil and wax to coat hidden body channels for rust protection - this was before asphalt types of undercoating were developed. Provided both rust proofing and sound deadening attributes, but tended to slowly melt away .......

For AU Fishoilene is a suitable product to spray inside hollow structures. It will neutralise modest rust and soaks in everywhere. Problem is the smell and its awfully messy but does wipe off using mineral turps.

My 260 was done ~six years ago, there is no sign of the modest rust it went over breaking out.

That equipment Jon linked would be great and the price is quite good too.