HybridZ

Anyone considered dropping an SRT-4 engine in a Z? Mates up with a Jeep RWD trans!

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Dunno if anyone knew about this or cared :D I just found out that the 2.4L block that is used in the Dodge SRT-4 (turbocharged Neon) is also used in some Jeep vehicles, so there is a bellhousing and RWD trans that bolts right up to the motor for RWD applications.

here are some stats on the motor for anyone who doesn't already know.

2.4L 4 cylinder dual overhead cam

Mitsubishi TD04 turbocharger

Underrated at 230 hp and 250 ftlbs at the flywheel from the factory

Generally puts down 220-230 hp to the wheels

Stock block capable of taking over 500 whp.

Stock motor and turbo capable of making slightly more than 300whp

Stock turbo is small and VERY responsive

Tons of aftermarket support

Think SR20DET swap only a lot more stout and a lot more oomph right out of the box. Maybe a little heavier I'm not sure but still small enough that it should easily fit completely behind the front axle (making a mid engined car).

They also seem to be relatively easy to get and not that expensive. Someone considering the SR20 or just wanting a small yet very stout turbo motor swap should look into this!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was considering that, (and it has been posted on here before) but the tranny issue was giving some people pause. I hadnt heard of the Jeep angle, so that is a new twist for me. I would probably jump on that idea as it sits, but for the fact that I am liking the 2.7 toyota 3RZ better, and I know what I am getting in trannies... not sure I would like a truck tranny, not that I know what comes in the Jeeps. Honestly, the only thing that would really tempt me over the 3RZ is the fact that the 2.4 comes already turboed, and has aftermarket reflecting on that. I would suspect that the Toyota block will be more durable, and probably a "nicer" runner, based on Toyota's track record with engine design, but I sure would like to see someone do the SRT swap as well, preferably before I am too deeply committed to the 3RZ = ).

I'd do it.... but I hate Dodge and i hate Dimond Star stuff..... I wanted a MR Z for a LONG TIME........ befor i did my 350chevy swaps i looked at going and doing a b13 mid chassie swap..... and i looked at a Primera Sr20DET swap... (primiera = G20 state side) but lost interst after my friends g20 primera swap had nothing but problems with ECU isues and tons of problems.....

Just a WICKED idea that hit me.... but an Srt-4 and swap it to RWD >_> hell YES SRT-4 DRIFT MACHINE!!!!!!!!!!!! IBE BE 100% game for that swap..... if.... i had an srt-4

Guest bastaad525

well there is a company talking about putting out a full conversion kit with everything you need to convert the SRT-4 to RWD using this Jeep transmision, but it's looking at getting like $8000 for it and most agree that given the base price of the SRT-4 ($20,000 but can be gotten as low as $18,000, used can be had for $10,000-16,000), and then $8000 on top of that most feel you'd do better to buy another car like an Evo or whatever.

By the way, nothing about the SRT-4 is Diamond Star, the only Mitsu stuff on it is the turbo and exhaust manifold. Rest is allllll Chrysler.

About durability, well I know few can touch Toyota's legendary reliability, but I will say, there are several guys running around on srtforums.com approaching 100,000 miles running Mopars stage 3 (which puts roughly 300 hp to the wheels) and have had NO engine related issues (most have had no issues at all, actually, though some have fried clutches, busted axles, etc...). And yeah guys are getting 400-500 whp on 100% stock internals and dont' seem to have any problems though the first weak link seems to be the oil pump (for which there are already several proven fixes).

Guest bastaad525

by the way, I'm trying to find the prices again... but I coulda swore I saw somewhere that you could buy an engine for about $3000, and I know the Jeep trans is about $1500.

Keep in mind, this is for NEW stuff... of course, given the average SRT-4 buyer/owner, it probably wouldn't be hard to find a wrecked one to pull a very low mileage motor and whole EFI setup out of for a good price.

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Maybe you could have the same company in Orlando that is making the bell housing adapter for the TT tranny to make one to fit a Neon Block. Don't know about pilot bearing measurement issues at the crank of the Neon though.Maybe you'd get lucky and the TT tranny would slide right in.If not you could probably have an over sized or underesized pilot bushing fit in. Also I guess starter placement could be an issue as well.

Maybe the Jeep Bellhousing could be made to fit onto a TT tranny.

Just a thought.

Later,Norm

That seems like a good idea, but you can have the swap done by Vildini, with ic, exhaust, and stand alone engine management, running and driving out the door for less.

Its the cost that I think would kill this idea.

I put the hurt on a Stage 3 Mopar SRT on sat. Bigger turbo' date=' injectors, fuel rail, bigger FMIC, Exhaust, 19psi, etc.

7-10 cars from a dig, and 4-5 cars from a roll.

I'll stick with my l28et! HAHA[/quote']

Saterday night... I put the hurt on am AMG 32... i was happy....

Guest bastaad525
I put the hurt on a Stage 3 Mopar SRT on sat. Bigger turbo' date=' injectors, fuel rail, bigger FMIC, Exhaust, 19psi, etc.

7-10 cars from a dig, and 4-5 cars from a roll.

I'll stick with my l28et! HAHA[/quote']

Hmmm what kind of tires was he running? And why do you say 19psi? Stage 3 runs more than 20psi by default. Anyways, a stage 3 with a few supporting mods like the mopar catback exhaust (most go with a full 3 inch turbo back which makes significantly more power) and other basic stuff usually put 300-330 hp to the wheels. In a 2800-2900 lb car. Put high octane in the tank and hit the high octane mode switch and it's suddenly mid-high 300's. The big limiting factor is that it's FWD and gets shitty traction, but throw DR's or slicks on and they will run mid or possibly low 12's all day long. Hell there are guys running low 12's on the STOCK turbo with a gaggle of supporting mods.

In the meantime, as far as you vs. the stage 3 from a roll, how fast was the roll? They can smoke the tires clear thru 2nd gear. Was he getting tire spin or was he babying it? Also, you're probably making more power than he was with that stroker and big turbo, and have a weight advantage as well (though granted, not nearly as much as if you were in a 240).

Anyways, it's not a fair comparison any way you look at it, wether we're talking about swapping in a brand new motor vs. just pulling a XXXXX mileage L28ET and sticking it in bone stock, there is much more potential in the SRT block. Unless YOU know someone making high 400 whp on a 100% stock long block L28et? And in your case, we're talking about a far from stock L28, bored and stroked with big turbo and the works... I am betting you've got far more money tied up in your setup than a basic SRT motor swap would cost and possibly even more than if you did the motor swap and added a stage 3 to it.

I'll give you this, if you offered me your setup or an SRT motored Z setup for exactly the same cost, yeah probably even I would go for the L28, but that's just my preference, and not what this thread was meant to be about.

That seems like a good idea' date=' but you can (sr20det swap, presumably) have the swap done by Vildini, with ic, exhaust, and stand alone engine management, running and driving out the door for less.

Its the cost that I think would kill this idea.[/quote']

Again, it's not a fair comparison, first off, it would be helpful to actually know the price of both. Barring the actual cost of the drivetrain (granted, picking up a used sr20det drivetrain is probably going to cost less than buying a brand new srt motor and jeep transmission), I imagine the actual cost of the swap, meaning custom mounts, custom wiring, would probably be the same, since either swap will require the same amount and type of custom work. Yeah Silvia front clips can be had for cheap but now you are talking a used motor with who knows what mileage that could last you 10 years or could last you 10 minutes. Even if you found a used SRT to pull the motor from, most SRT-4's haven't even passed 45,000 miles. But compare used to used and now the SRT probably compares favorably or even cheaper since they are domestic?

I'm thinking of this swap for the guy who would go out and buy a new crate motor or something like that or who doesnt' want to deal with used unknown factors. Or for the guy who wants to just do something completely different, but to get some good performance and reliability w/o spending a fortune. Obviously a basic L28ET swap would be cheaper, hell even a decent SBC swap would be cheaper.

Sure we can go on about how this swap would be cheaper or that swap would make more power... But then we would all end up at some final conclusion that only X swap is even worth doing because it offers the most bang for the least buck and/or least effort, and all others must therefor be a waste of money or time. Come on now! This site is about diversity, we've seen everything from rotary swaps to Jag V12 swaps and everything in between... You think they were all done only to get peak performance or done because they were cheap or easy to do? That some of you would sit and nit and pick a very legitimate idea to get a lot of performance reliably and have one hell of an interesting (and so far, unique or at least very rare)swap besides, is really a shame to see. This isn't the HybridZ I grew up with :icon56:

And Oleh, you are on the wrong forum entirely....