HybridZ

Somebody be Kind Since I am Trying To Avoid The Obvious

Guest vanir97

Guest vanir97

So I bought this 72 z with a 355 SBC. car runs great then sputters spits, and stalls. Changed plugs (hotter) changed coil and moved it to the fenderwell, put in 2 mallory Comp 500 fuel filters, 1 between tank and electric pump, and one between regulator and carb. car runs well then after I run a bit and slosh the fuel around it sputters,spits and stalls. I know what i have to do, but damn I do not want to drop the tank. i did that with my 78Z and had Tank Renu clean and seal it.

What I am hoping to do is just try and filter all the crap in the tank till the car runs without the dramatics. Just don't want to drop that tank.

Might try and bypass tank with a make shift tank I have from the 78. I also would by pass the steel fuel line with rubber and then see if it runs good (it will)

Any suggestions so that I do not have to drop the tank.

The real obvious places to check would be the simplest. Check the float level(s), pressure to the carb, and any particles in the needle(s) and seat(s)? If too much crud sucking intno the fuel pick up, then you already know the answer. I honestly didn't find dropping the tank that bad. Good luck. John

Guest vanir97

I installed a regulator (pump was pushing 10 lbs to the pump) and cut it back to 4.5 lbs. I bought a new Edelbrock Carb (600cfm) and car does the same thing with both. Crude in carb bowl is rust.

I know the tank is easy to drop, but damn !!!

vanir97

a few months ago one of my neigbors 6 year old kids decided to fill my gas tank with the hose after seeing me wash the corvette and foolishly leaving the hose running to water a few trees, the reason I bring this up is I needed to flush the tank that had about 6 gallons of fuel and 10 gallons of water (THANKS KID!!!) what I did was at first thought Id need to drop the tank(LIKE YOU) but I went to the local auto parts store and bought an electric fuel pump, 40 feet of clear plastic tubeing and a deisel fuel filter with the water seperator built into it!

Water%20Seperator%20Complete%20Assembly.jpg

these are comon at boat supply and large truck supply stores

running a section of tubbing with a brass fitting stuck in the end to give the tip weight and keep in in the bottom of the tank on the suction line and having the return line lead back into the tank to keep things stirred up, plus 30 feet of 10 gauge wire with two aligator clips to hook to the battery allowed me to drain the water off into several 5 gallon buckets and filter the fuel, it also effectively removed crud from the tank, I then (after several hours)added several cans of gas drier (basically methonol) , several cans of injector cleaner and some marvel mystery oil to the tank to take care of the injectors and any small amounts remaining moisture

I set the contraption up so the suction hose went to the water seperator,first to limit the pumps water contact, then a short section to the pump, then a section back to the tank, I mounted it all on a 12" sq board mounted in an old cheap plastic tool box so I could NEATLY store the hoses and assembly, and so Id have it for future use and could hang in on the shop wall

I definitely do not see the filter ahead of the electric pump as a mistake. Not dropping the tank may cost you a lot of filters (I'd drop the tank), but not running a pre-pump filter would likely cost you pumps.

On the other hand, unless you have sourced a finer filter media for the after pump filter, I don't see it will help much.

Guest tony78_280z

Gas Tank: My gas tank has been boiled out (three times by a radiator shop for $50.00) then sealed with POR15 Gas Tank kit. I undercoated the entire outside. I will never need to worry about rust and crud in my tank again.

I then (after several hours)added several cans of gas drier (basically methonol) , several cans of injector cleaner and some marvel mystery oil to the tank to take care of the injectors and any small amounts remaining moisture

Damn. Take the effluent from that gasoline cocktail, put it in a drum in the back of a Ryder truck and park it out in front of a federal building somewhere!