HybridZ

Sandblasting Company?

jl87ma

I Want To Get My Car Sandblasted But I Do Not Know Of Any Reputable Company That Will Do An Excellent Job. I Also Need To Know What I Have To Spray On The Car After It Is Sandblasted.

Here Is The Situation:

I Do Not Have A Garage So The Car Will Be Outside And Covered With A Car Cover.

I Was Wondering If I Could Get It Sandblasted And Get It Treated With ????? And Then Painted It Flat Black Or Primer Black.

I Wanted To Know What Is The Best Thing To Treat It With After The Sandblast And How To Do It Myself.

I Searched The Network But I Couldnt Find Anything On Companys And I Get Confused On What To Use After The Sandblasting Because There Are Alot Of Products And Everyone Has Used Different Ones.

I Just Want To Use The Best Product After The Sandblast.

I Live In Los Angeles California

Does Anyone Know Of An Excellect Sandblasting Company?

I Found Gorilla Sandblasting On The Internet , Has Anyone Had Any Experience With Them?

Thanks

You will want to treat the metal ASAP if you plan on storing the car outside. Haul it to a body shop and have them spray PPG DP on it, or (I forget) either Sikkens or Glasurit make a nice primer that is weldable. PPG made 2 water based treatments for bare metal before primer application, but I think it was a waste of my time and money. I didn't like the flash rusty look after I applied it. I'd just degrease it, and go with the weldable primer.

If you plan on doing the work yourself, having a dry place to work would be best before starting anything, otherwise you will be redoing some steps. I believe some primers are designed to be top-coated within a certain amount of time, and if you pass that you will have to scuff it with 80 grit?, or in some cases respray it for best adheason. Also once you start down a brand path, that will ususally dictate what line you stay with since the companies don't like trading ingredients and can lead to incompatibility issues mixing brands.

You may want to look into plastic media, walnuts, or something less harsh than silica/quartz, as I've heard, you can actually warp the thin sheet metal of the z if you use too much pressure or stay in one spot too long.

You may also want to check into powder (I believe it is talcum poweder) blasting which does not get the metal, lead or anything else hot. It also does not pit the softer areas. Sand, egg shell, pecan, and most others are very abrasive on the metal not just the paint, but the powder blasting is supposed to be very nice. Some or the restoration places here in Houston use that and I have seen the results of a stripped car, it was very nice.

a company in sacramento ca. called American stripping co. gave me a quote of $1500 to blast and primer the entire car. they specialize in fine autos and came HIGHLY recomended from a few body shops, local car restorers and hot rod shops.

your car should be completely stripped of all mechanicals and you will need to remove all the doors and fenders. remove all of the glass and remove the rubber sound deadening material.

I bought a air compressor and a sand blasting pot, did the work myself and have used them many times on small parts. Also have made a few freinds too.

Anyway, I tried many different sandblasting media, I finely just buy kids play sand. Works fine. One thing, I did learn the hard way, its almost impossible to sandblast big areas of sheet metal with out it warping. Its better to get a D/A and some paper rip the surface areas like the top of the car and the top of the hatch. Stick to having the edges sandblasted and the hard to reach spots. And yes no matter how much taping and covering a ton of sand will find its way into the car and things like the steering wheel bearings!

To really make you day wait until you go and try to paint the door jamb and all of a sudden this sand comes from know where and peppers the paint!

Another thing, after you have sand blasted the edges, under body, engine compartment etc etc, and sanded off all the other paint you will than want to fine sand the steel to smooth it up and take off any missed stuff. Than put a coat of urathane primmer on it. My ca has been sitting like this for several years while I install the motor and upgrade the interior.

I will say this, my primer doe not seem to have stuck to the metal as well as I think it should have. I don't know if I mixed the paint to thick or what. Its just that the few times I have chipped the paint or bent a piece of metal it comes off to easy.

Picture_096.JPG

Picture_0973.JPG

Picture_100.JPG

Datsun_most_bodywork_done.JPG

My_Car_Mar_28_2002_Pic_5.JPG