HybridZ

Legallity in australia

Guest MickieB

They engine before the LS1 was the 308 which is a 5.0L and i've read they arent that good....... ya what? haha not going to go off or anything but those motors are quite ok when compared to what it was up against the fords over here still ran windsors at the time and with a bit of work can really fly but ill admit the ls1 has a lot going for it too oh and they where 304s and 355s in the last commies too

ive seen a 400 gen 1 chev and a supra 5 speed in the set forward position 260 2+2 regoed in qld so it can be done in fact as soon as i make a hole in the shed im doing something like that myself

good luck with it all

cheers

I was getting at that compared to the ls1 they arent that good. I have no experience with teh 5L's so yeh.

If u r in NSW i dont think u can get a LS1 240z registered as there is a replacement size engine guide thing. Check www.rta.com.au it has a thing telling u the original weight of the car and u times it by the number they give u and it will come out with how much ci u can have in it. I calculated it and the max in a 240z is around a 305ci. A 260z (not 2+2) however can have something like a 356ci engine.

Ill dig up the old thread.

Heres two threads that might help. SEARCH!!!

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=107265&highlight=ls1+nsw

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=106767&highlight=australia+ls1

About 12-13 years ago I saw a really nice 240 with a 308 holden in it in a street machine mag. Looked like a nice conversion. I think the holden 308 is a lot lighter then the sbc and with late model heads and injection the can be turned into a nice engine with a lot of power. It would probably be more costly then the chev but dont discount it.

Douglas

heres what i found

While there are some modifications which still require

approval from Queensland Transport, most approvals can

be obtained through the Approved Person Scheme which

operates throughout Queensland. This scheme allows

quick and convenient evaluations and approvals.

What can Approved

Persons approve?

Many modifications can be approved by Approved

Persons, and include:

• Engine Substitution

• Turbocharger and Supercharger Installation

• Transmission Substitution

• Rear Axle Replacement

• Differential Substitution

• Brake System Substitution

blah blah page 13 section 2 of the "All about modifications to motor vehicles"

book from the man confused yet? you should see this thing it basicly says you can do

what ever the hell you want i couldent seen any limits on wheel sizes as long as the

outside diamitor wassent to far off ide like a copy of that evey time a cop pulls me

over for wheels haha these ppl need to make there minds up and PRINT what they really

want to allow

As per most rules now days it really is down to the engineer if he will give you a certificate to say its safe be it wheels or engine changes then transport will approve it cause they got someone else to blame if something goes wrong namely the engineer

with the tassie system i tell transport what i want to do then they approve in principle or not if approved go to one of the approved engineers let him oversee the changes and he gives you the australia wide recognised modification plate if he is happy its all safe

and as there are a number of chev , rover, nissan, holden v8 approved cars out there should be easy enough

though one think to check with you more advanced states on the big island of australia some engineers or transport are said to be wanting pollution , brake and vehcile stability tests done which can add big dollars to a conversion people quoteing $3000 for the pollution test and $900 for brake and vehicle stability tests

• 2 weeks later...
As per most rules now days it really is down to the engineer if he will give you a certificate to say its safe be it wheels or engine changes then transport will approve it cause they got someone else to blame if something goes wrong namely the engineer

hi mick :)

just a note on your paragraph. yes that is true to a certain extent but rules are rules and engineers will not put their license on the line for some kid. also, insurance will look into the legality of the car and will not pay out if they find something dodgy. but they will take your money in the meantime :)

in nsw, as has been said, you can't convert a 240 with anything larger than a 305 and when i was looking into it it was hard for me to get a 302 approved. i managed to find a 240 with an engineers report prior to 1994 when these rules came out so i was lucky. it is different in other states so don't bother asking anyone here, call your local roads authority. even if you do find some info here there is a chance that it could be outdated.

good luck

As from the 3 Feb 2006 there are national rules regulating vehicle modifications in Australia. Look up the Fed Govt DOTARS (Department of Transport and Regional Services) web site under 'transport' and then 'more' then 'vehicle safety standards'. All States must follow these national rules. "zed240au" is probably the lucky last to install an LS1. Even though a senior transport official told me that it is still up to the certifying engineer, I would want a legally binding contract with the engineer before I poured time and money into an LS1 conversion - you could left with an unregisterable vehicle.

I am now considering either an Alloytech V6 plus six-speed (they are already appearing on e-bay) or destroking an LS1 - I'm still researching.

bloody hell that was a long read, according to that file i was just reading on performance engines, and assuming the Z weigh's about? 1150kg? = 5750cc engine can be fitted..... http://www.dotars.gov.au/transreg/vsb/PDF/NCOP3_Section_LA_Engines_3Feb2006.pdf have a squiz at that? im no expect, or good reader, but it seems engineer's reports is all you need. but that said, there are a long list of other things that have to be changed while ur at it, like brakes, driveline to handle new power/touque and a few other nasty little things :). Also has a nasty little clause that says this information may still not be correct. So, get on to ur states licencing and find out boys.... i'd like a LS1 between my chassis rails.

I think your weight figures may be wrong. Although I can find no official Nissan figures, I understand that a 240Z weighs 1044kg and a 260Z weighs 1068 or 1099Kg. Either way, the new national regs say that a vehicle under 1100kg can have a max capacity engine 4 times the original vehicle weight or 5 times if it weighs is over 1100kg.

For a 240Z that's 1044 x 4 = 4176cc, way short of even 5.0ltrs.

Have a good chat with the certifying engineer before you spend time and money. And again I state, these are now national rules - DOTARS web site

that's y i put the question mark, at the end of it, it's all about getting a pro to make sure everything is hunky doory, but it'd be nice to have a ls1 in it :P. I also dont know the wieght of a Z....and it seems difficult to find. Where would u go to find out something like that? surely they'd have to know?

have a look at street machine this month they are suggesting putting a 350 cube taken out to 440 cube motor in there expression session i do note that they dont have the engineer suggestions in these articles any more but they used to have aengineer saying what is possible so i would think that they are suggesting it could be done and registered

Still think it all comes back to the engineer involved

The other very important thing IMO is the sound. my mate has a 308 in his VN (i think) commodore ute and it sounds amazing, just the right amount of rumble and roar. the 350 (5.7) just seems so soud too hydraulic to me. it has the rumble, but just not the sense of occasion.

Id still buy the 350 cos its a stronger engine, but the 308 sounds so damn good!!!

well thanks for the sleepless nights BOY FROM OZ the way approvals work down here in Tasmania is they approve a engine conversion for 6 months after that you need to apply again if not finished technically a new application well my old approval ran out early febuary yeah i know im slow getting it done but wanted to build my own mounts and extractors but in the end decided to go with johns car kit and jtr extractors (been a bit of a wait to get stuff from USA) why invent the wheel when its already been done might as well go with a proven product and save a lot of headaches

So after reading BOY FROM OZ statement that australian rules had changed in febuary this year i sent my application back in very worried but today i got my approval granted for a further 6 months gonna bust my butt now and get it done in the 6 months i have

So all i can say is want a V8 in a zed come to tasmania we might have 2 heads but at least we can register our v8 zeds

Mick - I thought that you were home and hosed otherwise I wouldn't have been so candid. Sorry about the sleepless nights. I haven't given up all hope of an LS1 as yet even though four engineers have so far knocked back coming on-board. They are either too busy (too much money to be made in heavy vehicles) or they tell me that 'it's not their thing'. However, there is some good news in all this. There is no bureaucratic review of the engineer's approval, that means that once the engineering signatory approves of an LS1 in principle it is only up to my workmanship to have it passed - there is no final RTA approval in the process, only the usual annual roadworthiness certificate.

Sorry to bore all you non-Aussies with all this.